Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a friend the other day, and we were talking about going out to the midwest somewhere, and hunting on some of the public lands out there for either Whitetails or Elk, depending on where we go. Just curious of who else has done this, and how did you choose the public lands that you hunted on?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hunting elk on National Forest land can be good, especially the wilderness areas where you can only hike in or use horses.

Personally, I wouldn't waste my time hunting whitetails out of state on Public land... I've wasted enough money over the years doing that and have been very disappointed in the hunting. My advice is to save up your money and go on one quality deer hunt as opposed to going every year or so on public land and just wasting your time and resources...

Good Luck!

·
Banned
4,379 Posts
I have had poor luck on public land when I was new to it...but on two occasions, I got a chance to live in the area's that I had previously gone to as an out of stater.
I found on both occasions that it wasn't that there wasn't good hunting in these area's...just that I didnt go to the right places in those area's.
My downfall was not knowing the lay of the land.
Now-a-days, there is google earth....I am sure I would do better if I did this again presently.

·
Registered
12,514 Posts
Been on many out of state Bowhunts (13 states) & all public land. My best Bowhunts have been Co. & N.Mexico out West for Elk/Mule Deer & Ws. the best for Whitetail. With todays internet you can narrow decent places down without leaving home. Good Luck. I've had great times..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Im gonna try the Jim Edgar Panther Creek area in Central Illinois. Ive hunted private farms in that area and they were saying that was a good spot. Im gonna try to get a permit for it this year.
Non Residents can bowhunt it with a permit from Oct 22 - Nov 18th give or take a couple of days.

·
Registered
353 Posts
There are many state specific magazines and forums like AT. Plenty of NWR's and WMA's with maps and topos. Good call on Google.
I hunted Ill last year. Spent one day scouting and saw plenty of deer. Had picked my spots out ahead of time. Talked to some locals including a game warden for tips.Saw a few other hunters. My problem was a very warm windy week.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.