Archery Talk Forum banner

Outback Single Bevel Destruction!

2084 Views 51 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  bowtech2006
So the day finally happened today where my heavy arrow setup and single bevel broadheads paid off. Doe was 21 yds , slightly quartering towards, i aimed for the heart and let it fly. Her legs were buried under brush but had a clear shot at body. Her front right leg somehow obstructed my shot and the arrow drilled her humerus. Seeing that my arrow didn’t penetrate, I was nervous.

I backed out and came back a couple of hours later and found her bedded down on the side of the road. I drove past, got out of my truck and got a follow up shot on her. After she passed, I felt her front leg and it was a train wreck, it felt like a sack of small rocks And the shank was just dangling loose. I’m not even sure if the arrow pierced the thoracic cavity but she was so hurting she didn’t even try to get up and run when I approached her.

Just thought I’d share my experience. She weighed 147 lbs on the hoof, and just over 99 lbs gutted.

Reactions: crankn101
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
16,405 Posts
Good thing the OP wasn’t using a Rage, as the head would have shattered upon impact.

Instead, the single bevel shattered the humerus.

Generally speaking, when shattering leg bones of deer, penetration isn’t the normal.
LOL

I wont turn this thread into a trashing thread.

· Registered
739 Posts
Single bevel destruction!!.. that took a follow up to finish. Spikecamp please insert that picture from the rage advertisement here because that's exactly the dude I envision in this scenario.

OP, im sorry I mean no offense but your success in this scenario should be attributed 100% to YOU and not your equipment. Congrats on your follow through and recovering this animal.

· Registered
391 Posts
“Quartering towards you” but “you aren’t sure how the front left obstructed your shot”. I think it’s pretty evident how it obstructed your shot. Regardless congrats on the kill and glad it all worked out, could’ve ended a lot worse. I think that’s where many go wrong on a quartering too shot. It really diminishes how far left and right you can miss.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
“Quartering towards you” but “you aren’t sure how the front left obstructed your shot”. I think it’s pretty evident how it obstructed your shot. Regardless congrats on the kill and glad it all worked out, could’ve ended a lot worse. I think that’s where many go wrong on a quartering too shot. It really diminishes how far left and right you can miss.
Read: “slightly quartering to”. Essentially broadside.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Single bevel destruction!!.. that took a follow up to finish. Spikecamp please insert that picture from the rage advertisement here because that's exactly the dude I envision in this scenario.

OP, im sorry I mean no offense but your success in this scenario should be attributed 100% to YOU and not your equipment. Congrats on your follow through and recovering this animal.
You’re missing the point there bud. If the broadhead I was using wasn’t designed to split bone, there would never have been an opportunity for a follow up shot. At all. Period. Her leg was mangled so bad that she didn’t have the will to move. The broadhead DECIMATED her humerus. To the point where she had no will to move up from the side of the dirt road with cars driving by her in the middle of the day. This was a big matriarch doe for this area

I am not in any means turning this into a bashing thread, but I made the same shot on a doe 2 years ago when I switched from single bevels to Rage Trypans. The doe was walking and I didn’t stop her, front leg covering vitals. I never found the deer. This time, the doe was 30 yds from my stand unable to move when I walked right up on her. I’m confused as to how you think zero percent of the recovery had to do with the equipment??🤔

Please don’t turn this into a bashing threads. Rage heads work AWESOME in many, many, many cases. Most of my friends use them and when they work, they work flawlessly. When I was using them, they left blood trails an airplane could follow. I’ve structured my setup for the slight off chance that I hit hard bone where a mechanical would be of no value, and it finally paid off.

Reactions: Hunter5400

· Banned
706 Posts
So the way I'm reading this it kinda comes across (to me) that maybe you're just trying to see how well your setup does on a shot that is less than desirable. Now again...let me be very clear when I say it comes across to me that way....not that -That's what you were doing. Either way, I would encourage you to wait for a better shot at the vitals. That way the next time, the deer won't have to be "so hurting that it doesn't try to run" but instead graveyard dead. Glad you found your deer.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So the way I'm reading this it kinda comes across (to me) that maybe you're just trying to see how well your setup does on a shot that is less than desirable. Now again...let me be very clear when I say it comes across to me that way....not that -That's what you were doing. Either way, I would encourage you to wait for a better shot at the vitals. That way the next time, the deer won't have to be "so hurting that it doesn't try to run" but instead graveyard dead. Glad you found your deer.
Thank you. I was very relieved to find her. I by no means hit bone intentionally. Why would I want to destroy a $30+ arrow? You’ll see in my original post, her legs were buried in brush and couldn’t discern her leg angling over the heart. I appreciate your “encouragement“ 🤣

· Registered
Mathews V3x29, Elite Enkore
2,940 Posts
Congrats on the trophy doe brother.

I think the rage crowd and fairy dust snorting crowd are the same type of people, just arguing their perspective without considering there is an application for multiple types of setup, or acknowledging the other sides successes. I think you could categorize the Mathews fan boys, rage and fairy dusters with vegans and cross fitters. They all are doing good things for them, and they have to tell you how it would be better than what your doing. If they hit all of those wickets which one do they try to shove down your throat first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Banned
646 Posts
Waiting for the better shot usually ends up empty freezers at the end of the season. The OP did a magnificent harvest. And used an excellent set up on equipment.

· Registered
739 Posts
First of all I apologize. That was kind of an a$$hole thing to say. My statement flowed over from another thread that I was frustrated with.

I don't even want to bring rage into this. I can absolutely appreciate the desired benefits of the heavy arrow set up. I do think many in the heavy arrow crowd have a false sense of confidence in their equipment which promotes bad decisions on animals (not saying this is you). Listening to all the heavy arrow single bevel talk and then hearing you didn't get into the cavity is a bit puzzling to me.

· Registered
391 Posts
Read: “slightly quartering to”. Essentially broadside.
Again. A tricky shot, if the front leg is back it becomes even harder. And with the brush covering her legs, she could’ve been quartering more than you think. Just curious, what’s your total arrow weight? The arrow I’m running is about 550 grains (125 broadhead 100 insert) and around 17.5% FOC.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.