Archery Talk Forum banner

Outdoor Arrows

723 Views 12 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Arrow
What does everyone shoot?

Just got back into 3D's and was thinking about doing a NFAA Field Shoot.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
6,471 Posts
I shoot NFAA field in the old guys division. I've seen just about every configuration there is out there.

I personally shoot ACC's with either 2 1/2" feathers or 250 Flex Fletch both fletched with as much helical as I can get. I don't think there's a better arrow for the money out there anywhere.. This year I think I might have to go the Navigator or ACE route to get a physically much lighter arrow. I try to think outside the box, but IMO when better arrows are built, they will be built in Salt Lake City. Last year on the road I saw a lot of CXL's fletched with both vanes and feathers. I saw one guy who shot ACE's with four inch feathers. How they didn't parachute, I have no idea. I saw a lot of light speeds too. The guy who won seniors at Yankton shot McKinney II's

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info.

Just starting to get back into targets and 3D's again but this time I wanted to go with finger shooting and so much has changed in 15 years. I did not want to end up with 5 different arrow combinations and still not have the right one.

Thanks Again

Mike

· Time for Spots to die
2,096 Posts
MJ,

I would have to suggest the ACC with a 2 to 4" vane. Since you are in Oregon, feathers may be a problem in the moisture.

I like the AAE 2.3 on ACC and am shooting 1.8" on the Navigator FMJ.

I have shot 3" feathers on ACC's with good results too.

Arrow

· Registered
2,492 Posts
I shoot NFAA field in the old guys division. I've seen just about every configuration there is out there.

I personally shoot ACC's with either 2 1/2" feathers or 250 Flex Fletch both fletched with as much helical as I can get. I don't think there's a better arrow for the money out there anywhere.. This year I think I might have to go the Navigator or ACE route to get a physically much lighter arrow. I try to think outside the box, but IMO when better arrows are built, they will be built in Salt Lake City. Last year on the road I saw a lot of CXL's fletched with both vanes and feathers. I saw one guy who shot ACE's with four inch feathers. How they didn't parachute, I have no idea. I saw a lot of light speeds too. The guy who won seniors at Yankton shot McKinney II's
Gus , what was / is your oppinion of the McKinney IIs from what you seen of them ?????? been thinkin on those shafts myself

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Well, Rusty Mills who has a few silver bowls shoots the heck out of them with fingers. Shoots in the high 520's with them...:eek: He's a buddy with mcKinney.

My very good close friend Jim Harris who shoots FITA recurve and has four silver bowls bought a dozen and ended up giving them away...But then he was accustomed to shooting X-10's.. They seem to be a really well made arrow. I guess it all boils down to personal preference. The thing I don't care for about CT is that their arrows vary in weight so much from dozen to dozen. McKinney says it doesn't matter that spine is more important than weight. I don't necessarily subscribe to that premise.......:confused:

a good friend of mine just shot a 300 with 60X and 23 inside outs at our sectional using the carbon Tech Hippos. He shoots 550's outside with the CT Cheetahs...... I've asked him just how good could he shoot if he had some really good arrows. :wink:

The only CT arrows I've shot are the Cheetahs and I don't really care for them at all......:pukey: But then one man's meat is another man's poison.

· Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
MJ,

I would have to suggest the ACC with a 2 to 4" vane. Since you are in Oregon, feathers may be a problem in the moisture.

I like the AAE 2.3 on ACC and am shooting 1.8" on the Navigator FMJ.

I have shot 3" feathers on ACC's with good results too.

Arrow
How about length? I have a 27.5 draw but I was told to shoot a 30'' arrow indoors. Should I do the same? Forgive me if this is a stupid question but I don't know.

Mike

· Time for Spots to die
2,096 Posts
MJ,

I shoot my arrows about 1.5" too long. I am in between spines if I do not go longer. Also, if I decide to shoot bowhunter, I need some length to find the tip.

Arrow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.