Archery Talk Forum banner

Outdoor Edge knives?

14078 Views 34 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  Thunderstruck20
Im really thinking about buying the outdoor edge game processing set, but for 60 dollars it almost seems like too good of a deal to be true. Any of you guys have a set? Are they junk or good knives?
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

· Registered
1,612 Posts
Go to this link and pick out a Boning knife a Fillet knife and a skinning knife the do a search there for a Meat saw you can get it all for around the same price and much better quality
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/fourth874/products/boning-fillet-knives.html
I have been a butcher for most of my life
If you need any suggestions on which knives to buy just let me know, they have alot to pick from.
Bob
Here is the link for the meat saw......http://www.webstaurantstore.com/fourth874/products/boning-fillet-knives.html

· Shooter of flesh
7,672 Posts

· Registered
164 Posts
I got a set as a Christmas gift from my boss. They have been I will say OK. I like that there is many different knives in the case and that makes it handy. When I get an animal down I stop at the house when I get home and grab that case and its got everything in there. I find it especially good for camping and fishing trips. You always know where your knife is rather than 5 single knives. They do not hold an edge like my kershaw blade trader does, I love that thing. They are ok knives, handy more than anything. If I lost the case tomorrow yes I would buy another set.

· Registered
825 Posts
They are OK, but not your best option. They are production knives.

· Registered
231 Posts
I would second the recommendation above to purchase seperate boning knives to make your own kit. I have a small kit of victorinox knives that sharpen very easily and are inexpensive. 3 paring knives, a boning knife, and a fillet knife is all I use.

· Registered
1,438 Posts
I got a couple from our shops promotion, they had our shops logo on them, I was impressed with them, they hold an edge perfect.
We had a kids night, one night and the owner brought in some frozen Elk, them knive's in that kit(cant remember the exact kit)cut threw that frozen Elk like a hot knife threw butter. I have them in my hunting, hiking, B.O.B packs.
You'll find on here everybody's opinions is different.

· Registered
4,635 Posts
I agree i have the set, once you do get the stainless sharp it looses it twice as fast. Does it work yes handy yes, but without hitting my sharping rod every 5 cuts it will get VERY dull.

I KNOW how to sharpen a knife too. I use it because as said before it is Handy having 3-4 different size knives ready as you go through the task. Myself i wouldnt buy or reccomend it. i got it as a gift.

If you have ever owned Good Knives you can see the difference, Case, Kershaw,Hen and Rooster, any blade made in Germany... These are not needed i process whole deer with a case trapper alot of times and sharpen once threw the whole task. But as stated it is nice having the kit even if it means hitting the Hone every few cuts.

· Registered
3,301 Posts
I like mine, they hold a edge as good as any Buck, Gerber, Sharade etc. I did have my blade reshaped by Razor's Edge (www.popposrszoredge.com), it was to wide for my liking and not pointed enought to get in between the joints. Now it's the best hunting knive I have ever owner.

· Registered
253 Posts
Im really thinking about buying the outdoor edge game processing set, but for 60 dollars it almost seems like too good of a deal to be true. Any of you guys have a set? Are they junk or good knives?
i seen the whole set at a local outlet selling for $24.99, first i thought hey what a good deal then i thought thats too cheap must be poor quality

· Registered
3,840 Posts
I have used the kodi-pack the last 2 seasons, good set for the money. I get 2 deer out of it before it needs to be resharpened. They have a lifetime re-sharpen if you want to send it in at the end of every season. I did however upgrade to knives of alaska this year.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.