Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I have been married for going on 4 years, and because of my schedule in the Navy and our son, we never got the chance to take a honeymoon. Well, this past weekend my wife tells me that she wants to do a camping honeymoon that can involve a public land, diy bowhunt next year. I love bowhunting turkey and whitetails, but I'm thinking I might want to try for something different, but were trying to keep it to things that we can do together, and we'd like to be within 500 miles of Chicago.

Lets hear some ideas! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Lots of public land to camp and bowhunt in the arrowhead on MN and it is one of the prettiest places on earth in the fall.

·
Banned
11,757 Posts
Check out the Gunflint Lodge, you can get the best of both worlds. Even better if you go in the fall. You can do a short trip into the BWCAW and come out and stay in a very nice cabin. Grouse hunting, and fishing are wonderful.

·
Registered
15,548 Posts
Or even the Duluth area. You can have a night out in Duluth and still get out in north woods

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Spent a week in bear camp in Canada where a hunter thought it was a good idea to bring his wife along. He spent most of his time defending his wife's honor than he did hunting. We would get up for breakfast, and about a dozen of the other hunters already had a table full of empty beer bottles. Not pretty, a good camp with plenty of bears, but a lot of ill mannered wolves also.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
I would prefer not to be within 500 miles of Chicago. :wink: At least to live.

Why not go a little further and do something special. You could have a long one day drive each way and spend a extra couple hundred on gas and do something you can not do in the mid west. Maybe CO or WY for elk, antelope, or mule deer. You would remember the trip alot longer than you miss the little extra you spent on gas. About the only thing you can do besides whitetails and turkey (atleast big game) with in 500 miles of Chicago is maybe bear and I would think that would be a tough do it yourself public land hunt within 500 miles of Chicago. Another plus is you are talking August or Sept. and most likely you will not have very cold weather that you might have to deal with if you choose whitetail hunt in say Nov. Making the camping part of it much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spent a week in bear camp in Canada where a hunter thought it was a good idea to bring his wife along. He spent most of his time defending his wife's honor than he did hunting. We would get up for breakfast, and about a dozen of the other hunters already had a table full of empty beer bottles. Not pretty, a good camp with plenty of bears, but a lot of ill mannered wolves also.
Good tip! Ill avoid bear camps with a bunch of drunks!

Yes, skinny dipping virtually anywhere makes any trip better! But, if I can take a camping/hunting/skinny dipping vacation...how can you beat that?!

Trust me, if it were up to me I wouldnt live within 1000 miles of Chicago! Unfortunately, the Navy told me that I had to for 3 years, then I have a feeling theyre going to tell me I have to live in another spot I dont want to also! I was really thinking about trying a pronghorn trip for a few reasons. 1) I always wanted to shoot one, 2) weather, 3) low cost. I was thinking maybe western Kansas just to keep if closer to home, but Im not to sure of their range.

·
wannabtradguy
15,322 Posts
go to Jim Edgar in Chandlerville IL. They have a great campground and lots of deer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts