Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you guys bashing we poor unfortunate Carbon Defiant owners as owning inferior equipment to an RX-1, I figured you’d run away with Top Honors in their annual test. Running away in fact.

Might want to look at it before looking down on us. I know magazine tests are not the end-all, and the choice to choose a bow is an individual one, but 6th place? For near $1700? Damn.

I don’t feel so bad keeping my (according to some of the posts I’ve read on here) crappy old CDs now. Both my 31 and 34 shoot just fine.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with an RX-1. But I don’t think there is anything wrong with the CD series, either, since they corrected the cam issue.

Just sayin.’

·
Registered
748 Posts
I shot most of the new bows from several companies. Was going to buy another Elite but then I shot the RX-1 Ultra, wow blew me away. I own the original carbon Matrix retrofitted with DFX cams and owned the next years carbon matrix. I've been shooting Elites for the past several years and had no intention of spending $1500 but the RX-1 fit me like a glove.

·
paddylad
280 Posts
I have been shooting Hoyt carbons since the Matrix and have loved all of them, but my new Carbon RX-1 Turbo is the most outstanding bow of the lot IMO ...just love this bow - my first hunt with it 3 weeks ago, bagged my best ever Red Stag so maybe thats made me feel a little biased hehe .... just love the smoothness and the punch it delivers!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
I too have been shooting Hoyts carbons since the Matrix. My favorite, actually a love/hate deal, is the CD 34 by a pretty wide margin.

I had the #2 cam on my CD 34 and it wouldn't tune correctly. It went back to Hoyt for warranty work after the dealer agreed it didn't tune correctly. Hoyt said it was fine as is and would not replace the #2 cam with the 2.1. So I dropped my own dime, or should I say multiple thousands of dimes, to upgrade to the 2.1 cam and buy new threads to match the 2.1 specs. Now that bow is awesome with the 2.1 cam.

But I lost a lot of respect for Hoyt over that #2 cam fiasco. What I bunch of losers, wouldn't correct a known issue.

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Lol, now that is funny. I've been a hoyt hater all these years and the 1 bow that finally had that it factor to me and made me spend 1800 everyone is bashing.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
864 Posts
I read this the other night and just laughed. I knew what thier #1 would be, Outdoor Life would cause too much controversy if they didn't go that route. I don't disagree with their overall choice as it's a fine bow that I still argue with myself daily rather to order one but it's hilarious to label the Triax's draw cycle on the same plane as the Ritual while ranking the Realm below(which imo is a touch better than the Elite).

For the RX-1 it seems the category that put it down to 6th wsa it's value which is what always drives me nuts about the reviews the last few years. Compare Apples to Apples. Hoyt's Carbon bows are aimed at a different category customer. Put the Hyperforce(which is nothing more than an Aluminum riser RX-1) into the test in the RX-1s place and I don't see how Hoyt doesn't finish just behind the Triax or at least the Elite. You can say the same thing the last few years about the Carbon Defiant. It took a lot of grief due to it's price when it had an aluminum version that was actually identically named and at the price point of the competitors.

Yes Hoyt's Carbon's are it's flagship but do the community justice and give them the information needed. If you are going to ding a product solely for price do the Archery Community a favor at at least mention "There's a near identical aluminum version that's wallet friendly available at the same prices of the competition".

Edit: I do agree with it getting dinged in the speed department. 316fps on a 340 rated bow is unacceptable and is slightly indicative of some of the reports in the various RX-1 speed thread.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I too have been shooting Hoyts carbons since the Matrix. My favorite, actually a love/hate deal, is the CD 34 by a pretty wide margin.

I had the #2 cam on my CD 34 and it wouldn't tune correctly. It went back to Hoyt for warranty work after the dealer agreed it didn't tune correctly. Hoyt said it was fine as is and would not replace the #2 cam with the 2.1. So I dropped my own dime, or should I say multiple thousands of dimes, to upgrade to the 2.1 cam and buy new threads to match the 2.1 specs. Now that bow is awesome with the 2.1 cam.

But I lost a lot of respect for Hoyt over that #2 cam fiasco. What I bunch of losers, wouldn't correct a known issue.
I'm not going to absolve Hoyt of all responsibility for this because once the problem was widespread enough to redesign the cam then anytime a warranty claim was requested it should have been granted. However most of the responsibility falls on your local dealer. They have ways to get their money back out of Hoyt and if the dealer recognized it wouldn't tune because of the cams then it's ultimately his responsibility to take care of the end user. Especially once it was demonstrated the cams fixed the issue. If my dealer thought it was a good idea to sell me 2.1 cams to fix the problem I'd find a new dealer. Good luck getting me to take the bow back out of the shop and good luck stopping me from issuing a charge back on my credit card.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
I don't think it's the fact that Hoyt is a bad bow but just not $800 more of a bow than the others on the list. $800? I mean, what advantage do you get for that? Weight? Not any more. Even if that was the case it's a marginal preference than an advantage.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I don't think it's the fact that Hoyt is a bad bow but just not $800 more of a bow than the others on the list. $800? I mean, what advantage do you get for that? Weight? Not any more. Even if that was the case it's a marginal preference than an advantage.
Lets get something out of the way. While prices do vary by region, the RX-1 is not a $1700 Bow. Sure they are using MSRP but out of the many shops I visited prior to my purchase, the highest price was $1549 on a RX-1 and the lowest which is what I paid was $1299. If you search the forums there's several threads backing this up where people are reporting prices from the $1300 to $1500 with a sprinkle of some a bit higher. For comparison, at least in my area, Bowtech and Mathews dealers don't come off MSRP nearly as much compared to Hoyt. Infact the shop where I bought my RX-1 is also a Mathews dealer and gets $999 for standard color Triax orders and his Hyperforce price is $949. I've been seriously considering a Triax and the cheapest I've located is $849 on what's hanging on the rack, near MSRP if he has to order standard colors and applies the custom fee if it's a camo dip. Cheapest Realm I found was $999. I can't speak on PSE since I've only been to one shop that stocks anything but they had $1449 tagged on a Carbon Air Stealth EF. Now to be fair this same shop tags the RX-1 at $1499 so they are a bit higher than most in my 100mile radius. To me the RX-1 was worth the extra $350 over the Hyperforce and definitely $300 more than the Realm(I love it's draw cycle but wasn't pleased with it's overall feel).

Again this review does nothing but give evidence that it's a popular thing for magazines to shun Hoyt. FFS what's the goal of the review? Pit the best on paper offerings from each manufacturer? Nope because they would have used the Turbo rather than the standard RX-1. So is it to compare the most expensive/flagship hunting bows from each manufacturer? Again no otherwise they would have gone with the Carbon Air EF rather than the Xpedite.

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
Lets get something out of the way. While prices do vary by region, the RX-1 is not a $1700 Bow. Sure they are using MSRP but out of the many shops I visited prior to my purchase, the highest price was $1549 on a RX-1 and the lowest which is what I paid was $1299. If you search the forums there's several threads backing this up where people are reporting prices from the $1300 to $1500 with a sprinkle of some a bit higher. For comparison, at least in my area, Bowtech and Mathews dealers don't come off MSRP nearly as much compared to Hoyt. Infact the shop where I bought my RX-1 is also a Mathews dealer and gets $999 for standard color Triax orders and his Hyperforce price is $949. I've been seriously considering a Triax and the cheapest I've located is $849 on what's hanging on the rack, near MSRP if he has to order standard colors and applies the custom fee if it's a camo dip. Cheapest Realm I found was $999. I can't speak on PSE since I've only been to one shop that stocks anything but they had $1449 tagged on a Carbon Air Stealth EF. Now to be fair this same shop tags the RX-1 at $1499 so they are a bit higher than most in my 100mile radius. To me the RX-1 was worth the extra $350 over the Hyperforce and definitely $300 more than the Realm(I love it's draw cycle but wasn't pleased with it's overall feel).

Again this review does nothing but give evidence that it's a popular thing for magazines to shun Hoyt. FFS what's the goal of the review? Pit the best on paper offerings from each manufacturer? Nope because they would have used the Turbo rather than the standard RX-1. So is it to compare the most expensive/flagship hunting bows from each manufacturer? Again no otherwise they would have gone with the Carbon Air EF rather than the Xpedite.
Well I’m glad we got that out of the way.

Just a question tho, do you think dealers would sell them at 1200 if they thought they could sell them at 1600?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
748 Posts
I've owned several Hoyt carbons starting with the first carbon matrix, which I still have! I liked them but switched to Elites as they just fit me better. Went to look at a new bow this year and was planning on getting another Elite, shot all the new ones, PSE, the Triax and Primes. Wasn't really looking at a Hoyt. Dealer said to try the Ultra RX-1 he had just come in. I said no not for $1500. Well he set it up for me and I was blown away, it fit me like a glove. Its draw was smooth, held solid and the string angle was perfect, I have a 30.5" draw. Just a small amount of vibe at the shot and the balance was awesome. I was stunned, bought it on the spot. Best shooting bow I have owned over the last 25 years!!!!! Lucky money was not an object. I guess that's why there are so many different bows, each person has a different taste.

I agree if money is a ranking factor then it should be stated.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ummm try using an aluminum riser in the Canadian Arctic.

·
Registered
883 Posts
For all you guys bashing we poor unfortunate Carbon Defiant owners as owning inferior equipment to an RX-1, I figured you’d run away with Top Honors in their annual test. Running away in fact.

Might want to look at it before looking down on us.
Is this a real thing? Are you really forced to endure constant assault by uppity RX-1 owners with an ax to grind against Defiants?

If you're happy with your bow, who cares about the opinions of others? If you're just bothered by having to read new bow opinions/reviews you might want to get the heck away from AT. That's kind of a big deal around here.....

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yup... basically came here to say, "I'm insecure about my Carbon Defiant, and needed to create this thread pointing out that the RX1 got 6th place by some company who's opinions were supposed to value (?), and you wasted your money on it."

Who cares? We bought it because we like it. If you feel inferior owning a carbon defiant, maybe it's time for self reflection. I have a carbon defiant as a backup btw, and it does the job just fine. You own a good bow (does that help?).

·
Registered
7,546 Posts
So I have to go to the Arctic to see the advantage? Lol okay. I guess you win.

·
Registered
181 Posts
So I have to go to the Arctic to see the advantage? Lol okay. I guess you win.

How short sighted of you. The US isnt the only country in the world. The Netherlands, Russia, Canada, northern US states with miserable weather, etc. Fact is, carbon is nice in cold weather.

Not a selling point for ya? That's fine, I'm not trying to sell it to ya. I'm explaining why it's good for me, and possibly others.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts