Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
can I shoot it?
17,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Outdoor life completed its annual bow review this month. While we can pick it apart (and do each year) I continue to applaud them for being one of, if not the ONLY, publication to actually have the guts to rank bows in order. That is something very rare in this day especially since all written publications are dropping memberships like a rock and depend now more then ever on bow/rifle/arrow/ sponsor dollars. Say what you will but I like that kind of honesty even if I disagree with the results.

And speaking of the results. The Triax took first place honors, which wasn’t surprising given the silence, dead in the hand, and speed of the bow.
Second place went to PSE which I disagree with, but if speed is your thing then I suppose it would rank right up there.
Bowtech Realm took third being knocked from its podium as the winner for the last two years in a row. What I find most interesting is that what while the testers all agreed it was still a top 3 bow the things that kept it from taking #1 were the same issues you heard on AT. Namely that the finish in the solid colors just wasn’t there this year and there needed to be some refinement around all the threaded holes. That and lack of speed in the comfort cycle. I remember several threads on AT that cover just these things.
The Ritual was 4 with preformance being its largest downfall as well as the love/hate of 90% letoff to the testers.....sound familiar to AT?
The fifth was the RX-1. Again, the same things you hear over and over here on AT came up. Namely the lack of preformance for its rated ATA speed, the vibration, noise and the price.

What I am getting at here is that while I remember about 4-5 years ago everyone on AT roasting this very same test it seems like the testers at Outdoor life and the members of AT are getting closer and closer to what they see in a bow.

·
Registered
5,356 Posts
I agree that they have come a long way. I have owned all 5 of those bows and while I would not put them in that order I can see where some people would. What I can't believe is how off track Hoyt has gone the last several years. The Carbon Spyder 34 was an incredible bow and they have gone backwards ever since.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
It sounds about right, I would have had realm 2nd and pse 3rd. Lol just my opinion

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
I agree that they have come a long way. I have owned all 5 of those bows and while I would not put them in that order I can see where some people would. What I can't believe is how off track Hoyt has gone the last several years. The Carbon Spyder 34 was an incredible bow and they have gone backwards ever since.
Couldn’t agree more, I won’t be letting my cs34 go anywhere and I feel the Turbo is really good this year but no wow factor.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Outdoor life gives a very good review. Most people are brand loyal and influenced by celebrities and marketing campaigns. If you want to shoot the keep hammerin bow or the Joe "pot head" Rogan bow do whatever makes you happy.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought a new bow this fall and I shot the Triax, 3 pse's, the realm, and the rx-1. I went with the PSE carbon stealth over the triax because I heard of people having issues with it derailing (im sure they were probably flukes, but kind of scared me off) but I will say I was very impressed with the Triax and Obviously the stealth. The Expedite felt very very nice for a speed bow, and I Liked the Realm as well. I wasn't as impressed with the Hoyt at that price but I could see where Hoyt guys would really like it. So I think I would agree with the order of their review.

·
Registered
9,891 Posts
Very subjective test, hard to quantify (rating them numerically)

·
can I shoot it?
17,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very subjective test, hard to quantify (rating them numerically)
It sure is, but then again so is anything when “feel” is involved. My point is that many of the points and issues that were brought up by the testers were mirrored in threads and comments here on AT sometimes months before this test. It shows just how much AT can be a microcosm for serious bowhunters out in the “real world”.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I agree with most of the bow review, but I would out the realm slightly over the PSE’s this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
can I shoot it?
17,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did the test the RX-1 Turbo?

Only reason I ask is because it is leaps and bounds better than the RX-1
They did not say but guessing not as it was never mentioned. While I think the turbo this year is better then previous turbos I don’t think many would agree the turbo version is leaps and bounds above the flagship RX-1. It has a slightly shorter brace and a bit more “demanding” draw although I agree it is pretty slight above the draw of the regular RX-1. The ones I have tested had just as much vibration and noise as the regular RX-1 and it cost even more so the value per dollar balance would be even more out of wack compared to the regular RX-1 which was one of the noted complaints about the RX-1 they tested.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I shot the triax, realm, evolve 31 and the xpedite. Came home with the xpedite. Hoyt wasn’t an option as I’m a lefty. Tested the bows and bought from the same place that outdoor life performed their test. Broken Rack Archery.

·
Straight Shooter
5,739 Posts
I've owned the Realm (several actually), an RX1 Turbo, and have shot the Expedite. I'm keeping the Realm, at least for now but have sold all others for whatever reason.
After testing lots of bows myself this year, I did finally buy my first Mathews, but it's not a Triax, it's a Halon 32. Should have it today.

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
I have a Ritual and a Triax, my Ritual is only 2 fps slower than my Triax set up exactly the same with a 500 grain arrow. Both IMO are great bows so I’m gonna hang on to both for a while. Nice review but all reviews are somewhat subjective. I know many movies that I love are hated by some, as with most things.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts