Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you were to go on an outfitted hunt, where would you go? A buddy and I are going to head out somewhere on most likely a whitetail hunt and can't figure out where to go. Canada? The States? Which state? What do you think? We are undecided bow or gun, but most likely gun. No pimping outfitter names. :cool: I don't care about that right now. Just trying to figure out a place to go that we both have a true and legitimate chance at killing a 150 or better.

·
Born yank raised south
16,774 Posts
Gun I would say Kansas or Missouri as they both allow rifle hunting. Kansas the Rifle hunt is in December and Missouri the rifle hunt is during the rut in November. If bow hunting I would go to Kentucky, Kansas, Ohio, or Nebraska.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I am not much for gun either, but I have to say Kansas sounds pretty appealing for rifle season. The other area that I have heard good things about is Saskatchewan. A neighbor of mine goes up there and hunts on a reservation that is huge and has some pretty nice deer. The thing he likes about it there is your tag covers you for moose, deer, or wolf and you can buy as many tags as you want for $500 (obviously not a province thing- just unique to that reservation). Other areas of SK seem to be more expensive, but there is no doubting the quality of the deer and the potential.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
The only place I would consider paying an outfitter for a whitetail hunt is sask (I think an outfitter is required anyway).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I hunted w/ Gene at Kansas whitetail adventures 3 yrs and I killed all 3, he only takes a limited amount of hunters, so it is very low pressure, he has like 20,000 acres I think..I highly recommend him.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Hashknife in Kansas!!! Its unreal

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
If money is not a problem then South Africa, Alaska and Canada (in that order). But if your looking for something more budget minded check out www.whitehorsecreek.com. NW Oklahoma low fence operation.

·
I kill it to eat it !
3,169 Posts
i would go Texas so i could see a slough of deer. maybe kill 3 2 bucks and a doe.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Wow, no one said IL??

Depends on how much $$ you want to spend.

Go Cheap - MAHA, DIY, 200,000 + acres in KS, MO and IA - Ive been twice, seen and killed 150+ 180ish largest I've seen

Guide, KS, IA, IL, BC (I had a friend that hunted in BC, he said it was best hunting he has done, not a lot of deer, but a real chance at a slammer. He showed me pics, almost everyone in camp killed, 140 to 200, most were 160 or better, approx. 10 hunters I think).

GL

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guide, KS, IA, IL, BC (I had a friend that hunted in BC, he said it was best hunting he has done, not a lot of deer, but a real chance at a slammer. He showed me pics, almost everyone in camp killed, 140 to 200, most were 160 or better, approx. 10 hunters I think).

GL
That sounds like my kind of hunting! I don't care about the amount of deer.......drop me off in the middle of no where and I have no problem sitting in 0 degree or colder weather all day long to kill something.

I just have this scare that a lot of the outfitters here run through too many dang guys in camp. If I'm going to be away from home for a week and spend good money, I absolutely don't want to deal with some dink outfitter that runs too many guys through! Not saying that it couldn't happen in Canada, but I would think that the chances would be less.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I would rather go on a rut Elk archery or ML hunt again, but would do a combo for Mulies. I just don't see much sense in paying alot for an animal I can shoot at home, even though he could be bigger elsewhere. Size doesnt matter to me, the hunt, memories and experience does. With that said, for a deer of the size you are looking for, go to Sask. huge horns, huge bodies and you have to work for it and wait out the weather. If that is not your style, go to TX, at least you will see a ton of deer if you dont see the 150 you are looking for. Besides, yu wil probably be able to shoot doe and as many hogs as you want while waiting.

·
Registered
6,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Like Africa, I don't have any desire to pay $ to go and shoot something in TX. For free....I'd go, otherwise I'm staying in the Midwest...West or heading north to Canada.

I would rather go on a rut Elk archery or ML hunt again, but would do a combo for Mulies. I just don't see much sense in paying alot for an animal I can shoot at home, even though he could be bigger elsewhere. Size doesnt matter to me, the hunt, memories and experience does. With that said, for a deer of the size you are looking for, go to Sask. huge horns, huge bodies and you have to work for it and wait out the weather. If that is not your style, go to TX, at least you will see a ton of deer if you dont see the 150 you are looking for. Besides, yu wil probably be able to shoot doe and as many hogs as you want while waiting.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts