1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
waste of time and money

·
Registered
34,165 Posts
I saw my first one in a long time last Sunday. The funny part is the guys arrow was sticking out past the front of his riser. He wasn't even using the overdraw. There is no longer a need for an overdraw. I have 27" draw and I don't have a problem getting over 280 out of bows.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
The idea behind a short overdraw like that, often, has nothing at all to do with arrow weight or speed. The theory is to try and get the arrow to rest directly above the pivot point of your bow arm, increasing forgiveness on a slight torque during the shot sequence.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Voice Bugler,
That theory was much touted 10 years ago when o'draws were the rage. It does not however make any sense whatsoever because the o'draw is atached to the bow and the pivot point is the point of attachment. ANY torque or up and down is going to be amplified by the overdraw regardless of how short it is. Just because the arrow rest stays over the top of your wrist does not help relieve the sins of poor form.
Just MHO.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I am not arguing.. I am just stating the theory, whereas BH was talking about someone using long arrows with one. The theory is still there, sound or not.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I shoot a Muzzy Zero Effect overdraw arrow rest. I believe the fact that it's a drop away rest nullifies the standard forgiveness/torque issues associated with most overdraws.

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
my neck of the woods still has a lot of overdraws, but we're also infested with 3 toed banjo pickers (anybody ever see Deliverance?). 99% of the people looking to buy a new bow around here are looking for speed, not accuracy. Go figure. Seems like everyone wants to shoot a 14" arrow at 739 fps. So I put one on the new bow they just bought, cut 3 new Gamegetter II's at about 23" and listen to complaing about arrows that won't fly.
The fun part is being able to say "I told you so!"

Then I take it off the bow, cut some 28" arrows, and the next day I'm a hero.
Go figure, I can't. But the money's good.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
overdraw

they only compound any errors you make.

When overdraws first came out, (there was a gap between the overdraw and riser), a guy shooting next to me had an arrow go between the overdraw and his riser, break in half, with the front half hitting my pants high up and then the heel of my shoe, ( I thought that I almost lost something, it was that close), and the back end of the arrow going down range.
I did not stand near him again.
Being accurate is always more important than speed.

http://home.earthlink.net/~baswb/archery/

·
Registered
2,526 Posts
the day of the OD is over for now - about 10 years from now it will come back & be considered the greatest thing ever!

lol - whats goes around comes around!

·
NC ASA Director
35,929 Posts
In pure physics, not bad theory, when you torque the bow left or right at the grip, the point of force, the arrow with overdraw and rest will go right, and your sight being on the opposite side of the axis of rotation, the grip again, goes left, and vice versa if you torque it the other way. This really magnifys any torque errors causing very large right and left misses. This is compounded greatly with long extensions on the sight and long overdraws.\\

Just telling you the way I see it, or you could see it the wrong way.

ha/ha Just kidding about that wrong way thing, sort of.

:rolleyes:

p.s. I dont have an overdraw anymore or a long sight extension, but I still miss left and right alot. Go figure.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Please do not forget the persons who have too long drawlength and is not allowed to use aluminium arrow larger than 2315. You have to use overdraw in some cases if you want arrow stiff enough.

Put online arrowselector these numbers. - drawlength 32+ (arrow 31 or more ) drawweight 60 (max fita) and very fast cams.

What I get?

370R A/C/E 245
2-60 HSPD 229
3-60-3-71 A/C/C 293
360 RDLN 259
2512 X7 319B
2613 X7 356A

Oops! No aluminium possible! (2315 max)

I am now using 54 lbs.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ive still got one on my backup bow, a PSE Dominator 3d...I dont plan on getting rid of it either. IMO it works on the older bows better than newer ones.

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Like it on the Red Man

I think the short overdraw on my Red Man looks cool.
I don't use them on my other bows though.
Although, the Pro-500 on my Mach 8 is like a short overdraw,imo.

Sag.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Besides magnifying my mistakes, I don't have an overdraw (I bought it in 1990 like everyone else) mainly because with a broadhead cocked up behind your hand, I tended to worry about it more than form, the deer, or the treestand!! Not worth it for the little bit of speed I gained.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts