Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats some advantages of a over draw and disavateges of them to i would like to no cause im having a over draw made for me so that it will work with my whisker bisquite to ill probaly shotting around a 23-24 inch arrow at 60 pounds and 29 in draw lenght it should be fast the ibo speed of my bow is 302 so i hope its faster

·
Registered Elker
7,715 Posts
It will make it faster but not as much as you think. Carbon arrows are light weight and I cant imagine you will shave more than 20 grains off by having a shorter arrow.

Downside: Pivot point of the bow rest in relation to the hand will change giving a much greater chance of accuracy. You will gain a little speed but likely loose any accuracy the speed makes up for.

·
Banned
910 Posts
overdraws more or less became obscolete with the invention of carbon arrows. the advantage was using a shorter ,lighter aluminum arrow to obtain a higher velocity and flatter trajectory at up to long bowhunting ranges. Since you can get a full length carbon arrow that is lighter than a light aluminum that is 3"-4"-5" or more shorter.
The more you draw the projectile behind the grip, the less foregiving and more sensitive it becomes to minor form and release imperfections. If your release isnt perfect, it will magnify the error essentially. the longer the overdraw the more critical the shooters form and release must be.
Some overdraw bolt on shelves are rinky dink and potentially dangerous and could drive the arrow into your bow hand if it became loose or the shooter was careless.

·
(aka lug nut)
48,324 Posts
archer Jordan said:
whats some advantages of a over draw and disavateges of them to i would like to no cause im having a over draw made for me so that it will work with my whisker bisquite to ill probaly shotting around a 23-24 inch arrow at 60 pounds and 29 in draw lenght it should be fast the ibo speed of my bow is 302 so i hope its faster
You might want to think twice about trying
to shoot a 23-inch arrow
with a 29-inch draw length.

I have my Bullet X set at 29.6 inches for AMO draw length.

That means my pivot point on the grip (deepest part of the curve)
is at a distance of 29.6-1.75 inches = 27.85 inches.

I am shooting my arrow shafts with a shaft length of 27.75 inches.

By the time you add the pin nock pushing, and the pin nocks
and the target tips, the total arrow length is probably 28.25 inches.

So, my arrow shaft length is roughly 2-inches less than my AMO draw length bow setting.

You are proposing to shoot an arrow shaft length
that is 6-inches less than your AMO draw length.

Your arrows will have extreme sensitivity to bow hand grip position
and your arrows will have extreme sensitivity to release technique
and release follow through.

If you are having an overdraw built for you,
make sure you have a shelf extension included (flat plate)
to protect your bow hand and bow wrist and bow arm,
in case the arrow falls off your arrow rest
(not likely with the whisker biscuit, but still a good idea).

With a 29-inch AMO draw length,
I would say try shooting a 27-inch shaft length first.

Then, if you must try the overdraw,
try a 1-inch overdraw, so you can safely shoot a 26-inch shaft length.

I would not go much shorter than that.

You will run into trouble due to the 5 grain per pound rule.
A 23-inch shaft is just too light, too short for that much speed
and power transfer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
you will lose a little bit of wt. the arrow will be a little stiffer. but as said before, you won't notice any gain in fps. sounds like your bow is already fast enough, chasing that fps deal can sometimes cost in performance IMO. if a person shoots an overdraw and shoots fingers , and with out a sight, they would probably have to go to 3 fingers under, that is if you work off the point of the arrow. when i went to a groves overdraw recurve, that's what i had to do, or i shot high. it changed my point on by 15 yards.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
go ahead and try it and get it out of your system. what you might gain in speed you will more than likely loose that much in accuracy.

·
Banned
910 Posts
a made for you overdraw with 5''-6'' overdraw with a whisker biscuit?????? sounds like a recipe for trouble to me. a 350 -400 gr carbon will be fast enough for hunting with a 60 lb bow at 29" draw with a 302 IBO rating.

·
Registered
17,864 Posts
Advantage, shorter arrows are easier to manuever when stalking or in tight areas. Shorter arrows hanging out of a hip quiver flag a little less. Shorter arrows in a bow quiver don't stick out over the bow as much.
Safety, they usually have a large shelf to keep the broadhead from falling totally off. But that doesn't make a difference with a full capture rest like a WB.

Notice I didn't say anything about weight as an advantage. If you're out to save weight and gain speed you would do better to go with a lighter carbon.
A 3" overdraw and kind of heavy aluminums are only going to save you 36gr or get you about 7fps. With a carbon they make even less sense for the purpose of speed.

Disadvantage, like has been said, they move the pivot point of the arrow away from the likely pivot point of the hand making the bow more critical of torque.

If you happen to torque at the wrist and put the overdraw above the wrist that could actually end up being an advantage.

I have doubts if you'll be able to fit a 6" overdraw on a bow. The cables will likely hit the rest if you try.

BTW, I like overdraws and presently shoot one. So I'm not trying to talk you out of using an overdraw, I just see you wanting it for the wrong reasons, reasons that would be better gained elsewhere.
Now if you don't like long arrows, by all means use an overdraw. Just know that they do take a lot of practice and upkeep on that practice.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yah like i sorta got out of hand on how short of a arrow that i will be shooting sorry about that i was just excited im glad i leard a little bit cause well im only 15 and still a learning like ill have maybe a 4inch oveerdraw on it and i no that i will have a whisker biquite on cause my uncle haas been using his like this for 1 year and a half and it works realy good and his bow wasnt realy that fast and stuff but it is now he went from shooting a carbon to shooting a aluminum and it realy fast i just want a over draw

and how fast would it make my bow shoot just out of curiosity

1 - 9 of 9 Posts