Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to over call turkeys?
What happens if you do?
Will they just become call shy and realize that you aren't another turkey?

·
Registered
17,328 Posts
Absolutely possible to over call. In fact, I see it every season.... especially by my neighbors. When they show up to hunt they use the same ol' box call and I swear they don't stop calling! They may make yelp sequences that go on for several minutes! By the end of the week.... the birds will turn and run away when they hear that box call. I've heard mornings when the birds gobble and gobble... until these guys start their calling!!! :thumbs_do

·
Former Wyoming Boy
8,664 Posts
Sounds like you already know what they do! LOL! :teeth:

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
yep, i like to call as little as possible, keep the bird hunting you, the only time i call a littl emore is when i have other hen competition, then i try to pick fights with them, cut them off, etc. anything to make them come to you. if a bird sees my decoys (like in a field) once they see her i let her do the work. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
yes it is!!!!!!!!!!! i did it for awhile i got excited and they never came. the other day i had 4 birds going. i called, they gobble i called again and that was it.

i heard them going away and i still didnt call. everything went silent for about 30 min then the bird gobbled close. 10 min later he walked by and other gobbler flew in and landed right next to him. i gave one more call and he came right to me. to bad he came to me from behind and I never got he shot. he was huge.

over calling will hang them up cause in nature the hen going to the tom. you have to make him come to you. they will pin piont your location by the second to third call and if there going to come there going to come. sometimes they will going away but come back to where htey heard hte hen last. so if its quiet and nothing is coming or gobbling dont give up. wait it out and he might show up.

at least this works for me to bring birds in. worked all opening weekend but the birds seem to walk around me and come from behind. both times the bird came in at under 20 yds. called him into under 10 yds opening day but again couldnt make hte shot cause he came behind me off to the side.

im going to bring a decoy and kill that SOB

·
Registered
779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys!

I find that I overcall turkeys with my slate call because number 1 you get bored and number 2 I feel like there is nothing else I can do to get them to come in. There is a slim chance they are going to waltz in front of me at 20 yrds so I just keep waling away on the slate call :p

Maybe I'll start setting it down a little next time

·
BIG FRANK....
8,244 Posts
Over calling turkeys!!!

Oh yes over calling is disastrous, let the turkey dictate what you do.And call softly too them. Just enough to keep them interested.If they shut up,get ready they might be sneaking in.Use a hen decoy,you need every advantage.:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Yes. Short answer; if you do, they'll respond, but hang up.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Overcalling is the #1 reason people dont get thier bird next to moving too much. . Yes it makes the birds call shy. How many hens have you heard in the wood that call all morning long? One call and that old tom knows exactly where you are. When he gets done with the hens he has with him , he will be over to see You if you have enough patience.

·
Registered
28,624 Posts
I like to call about once an hour (10 seconds) to give the birds a direction to go.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It sure seems like I used to call in more birds back when I first started and called a lot more. Then again I think there were more birds back then.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Yes you can overcall turkeys and from my experience, the best way to kill a call shy gobbler is to set up along his feeding path and "QUIETLY" wait him out!! Unless you're good at sneaking up on them:darkbeer:

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Ok so what is an appropriate amount of calling? I know circumstances vary.

Example:

You set up in the moring. Hit the call for a quick 5 second series at first light and get no response. What then?

Quick series every 15min? 30min? Would you move? How should a hunter go about this?

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
even though i say to make a yelp at him in the tree if your Birds Are pressured at all dont call till he is on the ground PERIOD and Very sparcly and No HEAVY call just a Cluck and few purrs....

·
Registered
24,837 Posts
Ok so what is an appropriate amount of calling? I know circumstances vary.

Example:

You set up in the moring. Hit the call for a quick 5 second series at first light and get no response. What then?

Quick series every 15min? 30min? Would you move? How should a hunter go about this?
usually i just walk and give a call until i hear a gobble then set up and call again and wait.

if nothing is calling ill go go to a spot i usually see them in and give a call or two then call once every 20 minutes for about a hr or more.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
even though i say to make a yelp at him in the tree if your Birds Are pressured at all dont call till he is on the ground PERIOD and Very sparcly and No HEAVY call just a Cluck and few purrs....
spoken like a true veteren turkey hunter. Gobblers know whether the sound of the hen was from in a tree or on the ground. Stil dark and the turkeys in trees talking and 1 hen on ground calling a lot, guess what that old wiley gobbler is thinking. Oh another hunter , I am heading the other way.

·
Fishing Guide
2,335 Posts
Absolutely possible to over call. In fact, I see it every season.... especially by my neighbors. When they show up to hunt they use the same ol' box call and I swear they don't stop calling! They may make yelp sequences that go on for several minutes! By the end of the week.... the birds will turn and run away when they hear that box call. I've heard mornings when the birds gobble and gobble... until these guys start their calling!!! :thumbs_do
Been hearing the same thing a two of my spots in the first 5 days of our season, worst of all they are walking around doing it. I set up on a bird this morning, started calling; about 20 minutes later one of the guys stalked up on me in the blind, never saw it though and set up 40 yds from me.:pukey: I gave him an earful and he just slinked away.:D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts