Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently made my own DIY ozone tote. I used the same tote and same ozone generator that scent crusher uses. My question is for people who use ozone to treat clothes, is the strong smell usual? Also do you just wear your clothes right out of the tote with that strong ozone smell? To me it just seems like it's a very strong smell to go get in a stand with. Any input would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Ozone does have a strong smell, kind of a metallic electrical smell is how I would describe it. It should dissipate fairly quickly though as it is a gas

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
probably using too much/too long, just a quick zap is all I give my clothes

·
Registered
434 Posts
It changes from o3 back to o2 once exposed to air and the smell disappears fairly quickly. Nothing to worry about, been using it for 2 years now.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Ozone is naturally occurring so deer are not alarmed by the smell. Ozone is generated during thunderstorms which is why it has that fresh rain smell. Obviously stronger but same thing.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I bought a tote, ozone machine and fabric closet. I began using ozone this year. I noticed the residual smell on my clothes but its not bad. I figure its better than me.

I think I got busted less this year. I still got busted but there were a few times I thought I should have and did not. Other times they got nervous but not bad. I did harvest a good buck with my recurve.

I will continue to use the ozone machine. I actually have 2-totes. one small one for base layers. bigger one for mid layers and the closet is for my outer layers, back pack etc.

Bill

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We see it too on our clothes but haven't noticed any negative effects. I play thermals more than anything but like to keep scent to a minimum on the way in.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It does leave a smell but once it gets exposed to the air for a few minutes it goes away. I wondered about that too but after using it all last year I believe it works. I sat by a bonfire for a couple hours, used my ozonics driwash on my clothes for two cycles and the scent was gone.

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
Yes, there is an "odor" to ozone, but my experience is that it does NOT alarm deer. I have actually had deer become curious and come looking for me when wearing and using ozone infused clothing and gear. I'm not going to say that it "attracts" deer, but on several occasions I have had deer put their nose in the air and try to determine what the odor is that they are smelling. I have had them get straight down wind and then walk to the base of my tree sniffing the unidentified odor. Last November while bow hunting I had 4 mature does within bow range for about 45 minutes while they were trying to determine what the smell was. They would put their nose in the air and I could see them sucking in air through their nose. Not one time did they spook. I also had a buck 16 yards from my tree straight down wind for a half hour. He was shadowing a doe that was about 50 yards from me. Not time did he spook. I have had awesome results with ozone and personally don't care what the nay sayers say. It works!

Here are a couple of pics of the buck that was down wind...
Aikman down wind.PNG Aikman down wind through sight.PNG

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I just recently made my own DIY ozone tote. I used the same tote and same ozone generator that scent crusher uses. My question is for people who use ozone to treat clothes, is the strong smell usual? Also do you just wear your clothes right out of the tote with that strong ozone smell? To me it just seems like it's a very strong smell to go get in a stand with. Any input would be appreciated.
The smell goes away very quickly, at least for a human’s capacity to smell it. Don’t know how long deer can still catch the scent after clothes have been removed from the tote though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
632 Posts
I’d like to jump in and ask a question if that’s ok. I’ve heard ozone is damaging (or can be) to suspender straps. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on that?

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
Ozone has a smell, but it isn't human and it dissipates quickly...wouldn't worry about it...I do worry about it damaging elastic, rubber, etc. so I try to just use it sparingly...

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I’d like to jump in and ask a question if that’s ok. I’ve heard ozone is damaging (or can be) to suspender straps. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge on that?

I’ve heard similar claims but I’ve found that if you provide good circulation in the tote/ closet, etc. elastics aren’t negatively affected (and don’t overdo the cycle). I only run mine when I’m at the camp with no access to a washing machine. I lay my clothes out in the cab of my truck, crack all my windows for fresh air circulation and run the unit for 30 minutes. In three years, I have yet to cause any damage to any of my clothes, including the suspenders on my Sitka Fanatic bibs.

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you over cook them with ozone, yes. Ozone is bad on elastics and rubber. My unit is weak and I can run it in the tote all night and it not put out the smell of opening a scent crusher bag that has run for 5 minutes. I have used mine for 2 full seasons now on the same clothes with suspenders on the pants and bibs, elastic in waist bands of my leafy suit, bade layer, and undies, as well as the cargo pocket entries and I have not had any loss of elasticity. I washed my gear 3 times this season in the washer. One time right before season started and 2 times because they got wet and muddy. This is First Lite Merino, Insulation, and outter shell pieces and I figure the less you wash them the longer they will last.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
I'm not going to risk $300-500 worth of clothing getting damaged from these ozone generators ....

·
Premium Member
4,970 Posts
Use the wind correctly, and you won't have to worry about it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts