Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to give congrats. to any bowhunter who has ever killed a P&Y buck. BUT, is it really that important to pay someone to put it in a book that I personnally have never even read. I have two that are 130+ and would make it but that isn't what makes it a trophy. I am not saying your wrong for doing it, just that a buck scoring 124 7/8 is just as nice as 125 1/8. Who are they to tell you it isn't a trophy? Sorry if I offended anyone, just my opinion. Happy New Year and good luck to all still hunting. :)

· Banned
4,365 Posts
Do you really want everyone to know what county you are killing big bucks in?
'Nuff said :cool:

· Registered
759 Posts
I have no interest whatsoever in record books.To me it seems some people have a need for recognition.All this talk nowadays about scores and deductions and spread,etc. is out of control.It often times takes away from the whole idea of hunting.Every time I`m among people talking inches,scores,record books,pope and young,betty crocker,blah blah blah I just have to laugh.To me they just don`t get it.I have actually come across a few guys who got quite upset when their"book buck"(before measuring)didn`t make it.It`s all about egos.I seriously doubt any buck,no matter how big,walks through a woodlot bragging about how many inches he is carrying.

Now i know alot of guys are into"trophy deer",but in my opinion it takes away from the animal.no matter how big or small.A trophy is different things to different people.Way too much emphasis is put on antlers. :)

74,554 Posts
I have acutually looked for other family members there

Pope and Young is just standard. Club like any other club.

I would be proud to be part of the hertitage of Pope and Young.

· Registered
605 Posts
I am into trophy deer, but don't enter anything in P&Y. I support our Alberta Record Book by entering all of the critters that I kill in it. The minimums are the same as P&Y, but you don't have to pay to enter animals. It's all about what region you hunt in as well. A 125" typical whitetail here in alberta is a nice deer, but nothing that should be in a record book IMHO. Even if you live in a genetically good areas for deer, how many people do you know that have killed a net 170" deer with a gun? How many that have killed more than one?
There are quite a few guys with over 20 whitetails in the P&Y book! The bottom line is its just a cash cow for the P&Y with the ridiculously low minimums. If the whole idea was to truely honor top class critters, like the B&C, I may support the whole P&Y record book. The one good thing about the P&Y "cash cow" is they do support many good conservation efforts with the funds.

· Registered
286 Posts
The answer is the same as we heard when we were young: "just because." Each to his own. I really don't care what strikes your fancy nor do I expect you to be wowed by what I like. Just don't try to expand your desires, interests, or ethics to me.
Dwayne

· Banned
942 Posts
I paid my dues in P&Y for 9-10 years although I had never sent an animal in for entry. I have several that would have qualified but never had a desire to enter them. I joined to support what I felt were good programs P&Y was supporting. I resigned when they changed the letoff rule and demeaned it with an astrisk. My feeling was it either is accepted or it isn't. I support the 80% deal and I also supported the 65% rule. What I don't support is the hypocricy of the astrisk.

· Registered
1,043 Posts
I don't agree with P & Y's rules so I will never enter the animals I have. Hunting is hunting. If the animal is taken by legal means, that should be enough. Their egos are ridiculous, as well as thier attiutudes. I could care less what they think or what they do.

· Registered
68 Posts
LongDraw1970,

I'm rather suprised to read that you don't enter any animals into P&Y. I've read the Alberta records and you've got a "few" animals in there lol. I'd just assumed that you would have had them in P&Y as well. You've gotten some very nice kills... congrats

· Registered
605 Posts
Mako,

After I read what I posted, it kinda sounds like I am anti P&Y. That is not the case. I just draw the line with paying to enter animals. I support lots of other organizations, and have supported P&Y in the past. The first animal that I killed that qualified, I entered. (a Bear) May sound kinda funny, but I think if I ever killed an animal that qualified for B&C with my bow, I would enter it into B&C. That would be a true high benchmark to achieve with a bow, and I would enter it for that reason.

Andy.

P.S. Congarats on that ram you connected with. He is a dandy.

· Registered
1,498 Posts
P&Y

Well I have 2 Whitetails listed with P&Y, and although I feel very Lucky to harvest 2 fine animals, I doubt if I will ever list anymore with them! I am a strickly trophy hunter(except for a Management deer) and have no desire to list anymore with P&Y. Really the Certificate from P&Y is kinda Cheap looking. The Certificate from ABBM(archery big bucks of Missouri) is 10 times better looking anyway. Don't get me wrong, P&Y is a good Org, but I don't need any more listings. I just hunt for the Quality time now :)

· Bowhunter
5,278 Posts
Why would I pay money to join an organization that would have me as a member? I certainly would not want to be affiliated with such a group... :D

Seriously, I think its great that some people choose to enter the record books. If I am ever skilled and lucky enough to shoot a buck that meets the P&Y standards I doubt I will choose to register and join. I have lots of other things to do with my money. But it is nice that there are organizations to set measurement standards and define a level of excellence.

To each his own. To me the success of the hunt is it. :)

· I hate tundra!
1,562 Posts
Ironic Thread

I don't understand some of you guys. I've never had a P&Y member or someone with an animal registered in the book look down their nose at me. Nor have I ever been solicited by P&Y to list an animal, so I wouldn't agree with "cash cow" suggestion either. I think they keep their whitetail minimums low for the hunters that don't live in places like "ALBERTA". If I lived in a place where 125's were behind every tree I wouldn't register all of my trophies either...I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Furthermore, I do think some people (none here of coarse) may have a problem with things like a fair chase affidavit and witness signature or other ethical requirements P&Y has set.

The bottom line is don't register your animal if you don't want to, but don't disrespect someone who does either.

Respectfully,
Rabbit

· Banned
942 Posts
I agree Rabbit- But who said anything about P&Y members looking down you or anyone. Most of the members I know are of the finest kind. Who said anything about a cash cow or demeaning people who do have their animals listed?

Did I miss something. Do I need to go back and read all the posts again? My arguement with P&Y, if you wish to call it that, is one of club policy or philosophy. Nothing more.

· Registered
605 Posts
Rabbit said:
I don't understand some of you guys. I've never had a P&Y member or someone with an animal registered in the book look down their nose at me. Nor have I ever been solicited by P&Y to list an animal, so I wouldn't agree with "cash cow" suggestion either. I think they keep their whitetail minimums low for the hunters that don't live in places like "ALBERTA". If I lived in a place where 125's were behind every tree I wouldn't register all of my trophies either...I wouldn't be able to afford it.

Furthermore, I do think some people (none here of coarse) may have a problem with things like a fair chase affidavit and witness signature or other ethical requirements P&Y has set.

The bottom line is don't register your animal if you don't want to, but don't disrespect someone who does either.

Respectfully,
Rabbit
Rabbit,

If you shoot a bow with more than 65% let-off there are alot of senior members of P&Y that do look down on you. The 65% let off rule has been brought up many times, voted on and always defeated until the last convention. Any entries killed with a bow of more than 65%, will have an *asterisk beside the entry. As far as the regional thing in regards to the minimum scores, that just does not hold water. The whole basis of the records book was to keep track of bow kills to show how the bow and arrow can be an effective management tool. Nothing to do with everyone getting opportunity to get a book animal, no matter where they live.

BTW,
P&Y had the let off rule because this club thought it was not ethical. Like you stated, there were alot of people who had a problem with signing the fair chase affadavit, like 90% of anyone who had bought a new bow in the last 5 years, that is the obvious reason that they changed the rule. To get with the times, so to speak. And furthermore it is a private club, they can have whatever rules they want.

It is still my opinion that it is waaaay harder to kill a booner with a gun, than a poper with a bow. Killing a B&C animal is a true pinnacle achievement.

The Boone and Crockett club seems to have this figured out.

· Registered
20,621 Posts
[QUOTEThe Boone and Crockett club seems to have this figured out.[/QUOTE]

While I have nothing but respect for the B&C......B&C allows entrys taken with pickup trucks, station wagons, and even locomotives.......

P&Y does not. ;)

· Registered
605 Posts
Bowriter,

I said the P&Y, with its low minimums is a cash cow. If you go on an Antelope hunt for example, a 68" antelope is "just a buck". Not to take away from anyone who kills whatever critter, but when I think of a record book, the whole idea of cataloging true fine specimins of each species, a 68" antelope is not what I think about.

That is my point.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.