Archery Talk Forum banner

P92 lens gear noise and speed

395 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  ouchmyeye
I just picked up a p92 and it is the only one that I ever handled so I have a few questions. It seems to have a very loud gear whine as the lens extends out.
When the lens retracts it slows down as the two lens units "nest in place" in the housing. The motion seems smooth and does not appear to catch as it extends or retracts. I compared it with a s650, w55 and p100 and it much noisier than any of those. Is that normal for the p92? The best way I can think of to describe the difference in sound is to say the s650, w55 and p100 all sound like a vehicle with a manual transmission running in any forward gear and the p92 sounds like a manual transmission in reverse.
The lens is also slower to extend and retract than the other three cameras.
Thanks, Ben
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
392 Posts
The 92 is somewhat noiser than other cameras. It runs on the S600-S40 chip and timings. So does the P72. It is very finicky about batteries too. When your battery power drops below around 2.5v it starts acting up. It is known for loosing its internal timing when power gets too low. The lens will remain stuck out and what not. It takes really nice pictures though. I like using them as a feeder camera. Works well !!!

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the input FIREMANJIM. It is noisier than the other cameras I have to compare to so I thought I should ask the opinons of others who have used them. I have gone ahead and hacked it and I just wanted to know whether or not to take a look inside the lens gears. I think I will leave well enough alone. I see what you mean about acting strange when the batteries are low. I am glad I experienced that BEFORE I did the hack and not right after or I would have thought I messed up big time!! Thanks, Ben

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.