Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning!! This is a gun kill. If you don't care to see gun kills you have every right not to read on or look at the pictures. I was hunting with my dad, uncle and aunt, their 2 friends from NH and 2 of my brothers on the opening morning of PA deer season in 3A right near the Tioga/Bradford County lines. I took one of my uncle's friends with me to one piece of another uncle's woods and the rest of everyone sat on the other side of the road watching that piece of woods. Shooting time was 6:47AM. After showing my uncle's friend a good place to sit I proceeded down the hill to a tree I had picked out in bear season that I thought would be good with a rifle. I climbed the tree with my summit viper and was all settled in at 6:28AM. At about 6:55AM a spike walked out just to my left at 60 yards. As he walked off this buck stepped out and stopped broadside. I placed the crosshairs on him and pulled the trigger. I saw him lift his one front leg and was having a hard time running. I shot twice more as he was trying to run and after the 3rd shot he took 2 steps and hit the ground. I let my rifle down, climbed down and walked to my buck and tagged him. I dragged him back to the tree where my climber was and climbed back up. I was all settled in again by 7:15AM. At 7:55AM I heard what sounded like someone whistling and looked back and saw 2 large doe coming my way. The lead doe stopped at 20 yards and looked up at me. She saw me and bolted. As she bolted I whistled and she came to a dead stop with only her head behind a tree. I put the crosshairs on her shoulder, squizzed the trigger and she dropped in her tracks. I had filled both my buck tag and 3A doe tag before 8AM. My uncle also shot a nice 2 1/2 year old 6 point and his friend missed one that he says was bigger than mine from the spot I had put him.

Any guesses on score? I believe he is 3 1/2 years of age. I will get him scored once I receive him back from the taxidermist.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Great buck man! I love archery its a passion for sure but I'd never stop gun hunting with the family thats just tradition and what its all about.

Put tape on him and tell us, it take 2min to tape out a deer for at least a rough score

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Can we shoot 2 deer in the same day? Serious question.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, you may, but each deer must be tagged before taking an additional deer.

Field Possession Limit: When multiple harvests of deer per day are authorized,
only one deer at a time may be taken (except in Special Regulations
Areas). Before attempting to take an additional deer, the first deer shall
be lawfully tagged.

·
Born yank raised south
17,044 Posts
Congrats on the kills brother. Great looking buck.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Good buck!

·
Registered
spoon & crockpot proud member......killing tomorrows trophys today
29,141 Posts
Great buck. Nice way to cap off your PA season.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Nice buck ! That ol ' gal looks like she'll take up a good chunk of freezer space too !

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys! I still have 2 doe tags (1 for 2A and 1 for 2B). I am back to using the bow on Saturday and for the late season after Christmas. I was out yesterday afternoon and saw 7 deer, but the only one that came within bow range was a scrub buck with a spike on one side. Any ideas on the score of my buck? I would get him scored, but he is at the taxidermist 300 miles away. My guess is low to mid 130's. Am I anywhere close?

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The doe actually weighed more than the buck. I didn't have either weighed, but it was obvious as I dragged both for about 400 yards. That is the largest doe I have ever killed in my 22 years of hunting. I would say she was 150 lbs or more.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
congrats x2

·
Registered
356 Posts
nicely done

·
Registered
424 Posts
The doe actually weighed more than the buck. I didn't have either weighed, but it was obvious as I dragged both for about 400 yards. That is the largest doe I have ever killed in my 22 years of hunting. I would say she was 150 lbs or more.
I was going to say! She looks huge! Looks like she should be the one chasing him around looking for tail.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts