Archery Talk Forum banner

PA Bowhunters

476 10
I am an Oregon bowhunter and fairly new to the sport. Now that I caught the bug I am looking for every hunting opporotunity possible to hunt. My family has a huge farm in NW Pennsylvania with plenty of big whitetail deer on it. I have been out there a couple times, and now that I know hunting, I realize it is prime hunting land. Plenty of corn, crops and forest combined. I think that my great uncle is the only one that hunts there and he hunts with a rifle and takes a deer every year, but not from really "hunting," I think he just sees em and shoots em when he is out working. For food mainly. My question is what I have to do as an out of stater to get liscensed in PA. I cant find any info online that is specific enough. Also, I hear that not many people use treestands out there...Is that true? Is whitetail hunting different that the muleys and blacktail we have out here? What is the bowhunting season? Any help would be appreciated. I am hoping to get out there next year to hunt. I havent been out there in 10 years or longer..... Thanks!

The farm is around Greenville....Mercer county I think.....
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,044 Posts
Pa hunting

I think that all you have to do is buy a license. When appplying for an antlerless tag you just apply a week later than a resident. ( I think its a week).Take a look at the game comission web site (www.pgc.state.pa.us) That should give you all the info you need to know, make sure you check it every year! Here in Pa they seem to change things every year!

· Registered
199 Posts
Id say 90% of archery hunters here use treestands tho some use blinds and love it. Ive never hunted blacktail or muley's. Just set up in a trail between their bed and their food and youll have good luck. the season this year runs from oct 4th to november 15 and then there is a two week late season after christmas. the late season is awfully tough tho, no leaves on the trees and it seems like the deer walk around lookin up.. good luck

· Registered
63 Posts
Pa Bowhunter

First, welcome to the world of Bowhunting! You have a few choices as far as getting a license. You can visit the PA Game Commision Website http://www.pgc.state.pa.us to apply online starting next year. There are also links about licensing on their website. You can buy over the counter at an agent. You must be able to produce a license for another state or a hunter safety certificate. Doe license is a lottery. Bow season this year is Oct 4 - Nov. 15. Yes most Archer's use treestands. Greenville area is a great area to Whitetail hunt. If you need any more info send me a PM. Sorry I have never hunted Muley's or Blacktails. I hope to someday. Hope this helps :darkbeer:

· Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, that site is confusing! I think I got it. I need WMU 1A. I couldnt find the answer to this though.....If my relatives apply for landowner tags can they give me one? So all I would need is a license?

· Registered
176 Posts
I am actually from around that area, I live 15 minutes outside of the Greenville area. Out here is the same as anywhere else. We use treestands all the time in PA. As far as an out of state license, Im not sure what would be the easiest thing to do. I know you could buy your license over the counter, when you arrive in PA, but you can't access a doe tag then. I would call a number that you would see on one of those web sites and talk to someone about it. That would be easier than the Pa game commision website.

· Registered
63 Posts
Man, that site is confusing! I think I got it. I need WMU 1A. I couldnt find the answer to this though.....If my relatives apply for landowner tags can they give me one? So all I would need is a license?
I don't believe that those tags are transferrable. I may be wrong but I will try to find a concrete answer. I live in Venango County about 30 miles east or your farm. I know some Smith's that farm around Greenville.

· Registered
12,598 Posts
Non-resident (and resident) licenses are over the counter. All you have to do is go to a licensing agent and buy it. Or use the on-line PGC store. They'll mail you the license almost immediately.

Regarding non-residents and antlerless tags . . . you may as well write that idea off. It isn't going to happen. In its infinite wisdom, the PGC has made it nearly impossible for all but the luckiest non-residents to draw antlerless tags. They are all gone for this year anyway.

Regarding treestands . . a lot of rifle hunters DO NOT use treestands. (Some of us do . . and quite successfully too). Almost ALL bowhunters do use them.

· Registered
4,129 Posts
It is so easy to get a Non Resident Pa hunting license. Just go to the PGC website click on licenses. Select non resident hunting license and fill in your address, etc. and choose if you want an archery, bear, or muzzleloader tag. Pay and you are done. Each license comes with an antlerless deer application and a bonus tag antlerless application. The deadlines have passed for this year and most all doe tags are sold out. It is always the same every year. Residents can apply the first monday in august and non residents the 3rd monday in august. Second round applications are accepted for both residents and non residents the 4th monday of august. The general hunting license allows you to hunt small game, an antlered deer, a spring and a fall turkey. If you want to hunt archery seasons you must buy an archery tag. Bear licenses must also be purchased additionally if you wish to hunt bear.

· Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help fellas. I will be sure to apply next year. I will be nice because I can hunt all of sept for deer and elk out here and then still have oct nov to hunt there if I choose. I got a cow elk this year on my 2nd hunt but I am still dreaming of a big whitetail!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.