Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you want to see feral hogs in PA for hunting reasons? I understand these hogs are a plague and destroy crops and landscape, I'm asking for purely hunting purposes.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
To want wild feral hogs, just to hunt them would be asinine.

There is no way hunting would even come close to killing them off, and we would soon have a hog problem.

I would suggest to anyone that wants only to hunt them, travel to a state that already has a hog problem and hunt them there.

·
Play hard...Die happy
637 Posts
Once you have them you'll NEVER get rid of them. We have them and they'll move from farm to farm but they always come back. If you're gonna hunt them successfully with a small population, you'll need dogs.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To want wild feral hogs, just to hunt them would be asinine.

There is no way hunting would even come close to killing them off, and we would soon have a hog problem.

I would suggest to anyone that wants only to hunt them, travel to a state that already has a hog problem and hunt them there.
I find it ridiculous that people charge you to hunt these hogs in other states. I have looked into some hunts but really dont want to spend $300-$600 plus travel to kill animals that people dont want in the first place.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are pigs in certain areas that escaped a hunting preserve.
What part of bradford county are you from? My dad owns land in bradford county that we hunt some in archery and all during rifle season

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
I find it ridiculous that people charge you to hunt these hogs in other states. I have looked into some hunts but really dont want to spend $300-$600 plus travel to kill animals that people dont want in the first place.
I'll agree to disagree.

I'd much rather pay someone else so I could get rid of a few hogs they don't want in another state, than deal with the problems those pests would cause the rest of my life (If I stay in the state). JMO though.

Paying a couple hundred dollars every now and then, to get your hog fix taken care of, would be much cheaper in the long run than dealing with feral hogs would be.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Hunting will not control them as they adapt and become nocturnal. The best control is trapping. You have to kill 70% of the herd every year just to maintain the herd, anything under 70% and the herd grows astronomically. We took out almost 200 last year and have more now than we did a year ago. Five years ago I used to see 15 deer to each hog. This year I saw 15 hogs to each deer. Deer and turkeys can't begin to compete for food with hogs. Hogs will travel 5 to 10 miles a day in search of food, eating every acorn under a tree, rooting up grasses and young trees that provide browse for deer, and destroying turkey nests while eating the eggs. If you start seeing hogs, never let them walk, no matter what size, you cannot have empathy for them because they are small piglets. In six months those piglets will be sexually mature dropping more piglets. Trust me.........you don't want hogs on any level.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is my next question, are hogs more of a problem than coyotes speaking in terms of a deer herd? We have a major coyote problem in the part of PA that we hunt and they seem almost impossible to kill. Too darn smart.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
My personal opinion is the hogs are more of a problem. Your hunting land has a carrying capacity of "X" number of animals that eat the same food, browse, acorns, etc. Hogs overpopulate quickly and will clean out the acorn crop, rooting up destroying browse. The deer then survives by leaving the land to get away from the hogs as they must eat. The deer that choose to stay will be undernurished and will not drop twin fawns, and maybe not even a single fawn. We are seeing lots of adult does with no fawns and none with twins. A healthy sow hog can have 3 litters of piglets a year and I think yotes only have one litter. Yotes certainly eat fawns and sickly deer, but they also eat squirrels, rabbits, small hogs, stray dogs and cats. The yotes can be contolled by trapping more efficiently than hunting. Our hog problem has grown to the point that hogs are going into residential neighborhoods at night and rooting up $30000 worth of sod a night.

·
Registered
5,954 Posts
Im with ACC. Hogs are worse than yotes. Yotes kill fawns and turkey poults but usually have a hard time with full grown deer and turkeys.

Hogs are on a whole nother level. They dont kill the deer. Eat turkey eggs? They will do that. But as far as deer, theyll eat em EVERYTHING and destroy anything they dont eat (that a deer would eat). They push just about ALL the deer away because there's no food anymore.

·
Registered
8,279 Posts
Im with ACC. Hogs are worse than yotes. Yotes kill fawns and turkey poults but usually have a hard time with full grown deer and turkeys.

Hogs are on a whole nother level. They dont kill the deer. Eat turkey eggs? They will do that. But as far as deer, theyll eat em EVERYTHING and destroy anything they dont eat (that a deer would eat). They push just about ALL the deer away because there's no food anymore.
Agreed. It's absolutely amazing to me that some people actually still wish they had hogs to hunt. Ignorance is bliss, I guess.

·
Registered
19,342 Posts
There are pigs in certain areas that escaped a hunting preserve.
Several years ago I had 2 in my area from there. Ground under my apple trees looked like it had been tilled!

·
Registered
698 Posts
NY state has banned hogs on preserves starting in 2015.We do have a few feral populations(around preserves).A few years ago the state wanted hunters to shoot on sight and report.Now their idea is to "not" shoot,suppose to ease their trapping.Go fiqure?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
The only way to get rid of swine is to move to another area where they do not exist. They are a complete nuisance and will destroy foodplots, feeders, crop fields, ponds and just about anything else they come in contact with.

To actually want them would be insane.....like was said before, go somewhere to hunt them and be glad you don't have them.

Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have never hunted wild hogs but would love to hunt them. I have also watch enough shows to know/understand they breed like rabbits and within a six month period following birth, they can give birth. From the sounds of it, and I am far from an expert on the subject, they are truly a plague and extremely destructive animal wherever they are located. I was born and raised in NJ just outside Philly and would think hogs would be bad for PA.

·
Play hard...Die happy
637 Posts
Our neighbor shot two 350 lb sows this year deer hunting in SW Wisconsin. The pigs stay in one valley and work there way up and down it. They have so much food with all the orchards and farm land that they don't move much. They sure do damage, like was stated, they turn the soil about 4" deep as if it was tilled looking for grubs. A guy wanting to start a game farm some 10-15 years ago brought these hogs up from Texas and let them go. Dumb Ass!! I feel hogs are much smarter than yotes and definitely worse to have.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts