Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got out late today, around 3pm, was walking to the tree i usually sit in, when i come over this small hill and twenty yards away thrashing a tree is a nice 9pt. i don't have my release on, no arrow nocked and headcover off. sucks to be me, i get my gear on and nock an arrow, i pull back to full draw, get ready to settle my pin when, bam! he spooks and bolts like a shot. man you gotta love it, cause you just never know what will happen. a little disappointed but nice to know theres a big boy in the area. can't wait till tommorrow. hope everyone else is doing well. lets hear your hits, or god forbid, misses. good luck and good hunting.:cool:

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Misses are better than hits that don't result in a deer.

Anyway, my season is going good so far, no deer down, but lots of action the 2 nights I've been out. The only thing in range was a little 6 pt. But I've been seeing lots of deer.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'm just enjoying being out in the woods. Had a nice doe 10yds. broadside tuesady morning, to bad I was driving and she bolted across the road in front of me. Scared the bejesus out of me.Hopefully tomorrow will put meat in the freezer if not I still got time.:D

·
Registered
834 Posts
hunted 2 days 20 deer the first day (6bucks 14 does) 6 deer the next day (spike fawn, and 5 does)

4 bucks were 130 class or better, and one (a 12 pt) was a 170+ class deer, once again THANK THE LORD FOR QDM..

I like a nice 8pt walk 14in spread 10in g2s, not a shooter in our area, 3 1/2 year olds and bigger, every land owner in our area is 1000+ acres, and all follow QDM.. did manage to wack a 150lb doe (field dressed) she was 4 1/2 and had triplets :)

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
A little discouraged so far.

Hunting a new area this year, I moved closer to work and I have got out 3 times and yet to see a deer from my stand. I saw several scouting an even a few before season when I was putting up one of my stands. Went out tonight to a spot I could see quite a ways and just stood on the ground trying to see where the deer were traveling but only saw a few turkeys and a ton of squirals. I did notice it is a full moon, wonder if this has changed there patterning at all.

Denny

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
dennykyser said:
A little discouraged so far.

Hunting a new area this year, I moved closer to work and I have got out 3 times and yet to see a deer from my stand. I saw several scouting an even a few before season when I was putting up one of my stands. Went out tonight to a spot I could see quite a ways and just stood on the ground trying to see where the deer were traveling but only saw a few turkeys and a ton of squirals. I did notice it is a full moon, wonder if this has changed there patterning at all.

Denny
They usually don't move to early during the full moon stage..Usually well after dark till they hit the feilds around me...
I hunt up from the feilds aways, and I've have'nt seen much the 2 times I been out either....

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have only been out one time so far(thanks to work)and I did get to see a few deer. I got bummed when a nice doe came in to about 25 yds. and gave me a good broadside shot and I screwed it up. Not sure what happened but as soon as I released it was like some one kicked her legs out from under her an off she went. The bright yellow vains on my Beman showed up real nice as the arrow went flying right over her back. :eek:

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i was in my usual tree, when i hear all this rustling, suddenly here come about 15 turkeys not more than 15 feet away. they never even knew i was there. i always keep my eyes peeled when there's turkey around cause sooner or later a deer is usually right behind them. about 5 min later here comes a small doe, but i passed on her, even though it was a perfect broadside shot.
now here's the intresting part; i tried one of those burning deer incense sticks; the all season ones, burned for about 30 min when here comes a forkhorn from the direction the smoke was blowing too. he walked right up to it and nosed around for a few seconds then left. has anyone else tried these yet? sure hope the big boys get curious when i try another one. well thats it for now. good luck and good hunting.:cool:

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Not much luck yet. I let a screwed up rack go but that has been my only action, and some does. I try to set up close to bedding and kicked out one of the bucks I'm after bedded right under my stand. That's a little too close! Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
710 Posts
One meaty doe so far with a selfbow, ash arrow, and handmade point. :D The arrow took a 28 yd flight before it nicked the near leg bone, destroyed the lungs, and lodged in the far leg bone. She took a brief run through a bean field and then collapsed along its edge.

·
Registered
44 Posts
went out mon and tues night, saw a turkey and grouse but no deer movement in the woods. going home saw maybe 20 deer in fields that you cant hunt along a main road. pretty slow so far. maybe the full moon does affect movement?

·
World & National Champion
33,999 Posts
Only been out a one evening and both saturday morns. Only seen 1 deer so far. Dad's had a few scrub racks under him. Seen foxes, a coyote, racoons and turkey but no deer.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Got number 2 friday

I shot my second and last doe of the season last night at 8 yards she made it about 50 yards and fell. Equipment brute force elite,66lb draw,goldtip xt 55/75 camo hunters, tipped with rocket steelhead.

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
I hunted a farm in wayne county last couple of days with poor results. The farmer was seeing 50 deer a day all summer. Last couple of weeks there has been just a few on the farm. I did manage to see a couple of does and 1 buck.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Just got back from a week in Potter County, was VERY SLOW. Our group of 3 shot 1 deer, nice 8 ptr, 165 lbs. I never saw a deer from my stand, 3rd guy saw 4 none in range. By far the slowest hunting ever down there. BRIGHT full moon, lots of nice green forage on the ground, no acorns, lots of apples, cherries, grapes.

I seemed to see deer everywhere I went, driving in in the AM dark, out at night, mid-day going into town for gas, out scouting, everywhere, just never from my stand.

Did see: bobcat, pine marten, porqupines galore.

--Bob

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ttt

1 - 18 of 18 Posts