Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess the state legislatures are not the only ones who want more money. I just heard a news report that the Game Commission wants to raise the liscence price to $30.00 next year. Tell me it is not so! I am so frustrated with the GC right now I want to vomit! I also just checked the web site and my area 1B is sold out. I guess my friends from out of state will stay away from hunting camp this year. No doe tags for them so they will not bother to buy a regular liscence. Do the people in the GC know what they are doing? First they write the slaughter of all the doe and young bucks, then they tell me I can't harvest anything that has less than 4 points to a side, yet a 12-16 year old can shoot anything they please. I have watched many of my friend in the area sell their hunting stuff and quit all together! So of them now only hunt out of state. The GC is turning a billion $ business into a smaller business. I was wondering what anyone else thinks or knows about the subject.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
well lets see, do i have a problem with a license increase.
no pheasants
a few grouse
very few deer in the area i hunt
can't hunt on sunday
most private land posted or leased.

why would i have a problem, obviously the powers to be are doing a bang up job managing our wildlife and habitat. i'm not anti game commission but where are the changes for the better? for years hunters and sportsman alike have expressed their concerns to no avail. now in just a couple of years the gc has done what peta couldn't, " get people to quit hunting".
so i guess if there is an increase, it will be to make up for all the revenue their going to lose and not to improve the quality and quantity of game and habitat. i know everyone has differing opinions and this is just mine. thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, I cant wait. I didnt see enough deer last year to amount to anything. Not to mention the game lands dont have near enought feed plots to keep the deer in the woods, so they naturally travel to populated areas to eat. Cost me almost 60 bucks this year. I wonder how much beef that will buy. I dont even bother with rifle season anymore, I'll go to camp but I'll concentrate more on archery season.

Edit: Just checked my WMU 4D, only 5000 remaining, get em while they're hot.

Chris

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
Well, I have a few problems with the PGC but license costs, even at $30.00 isn't one of them. PA hase one of the cheaper license structures in the country.

Regarding some of the game populations, let's get real on the pheasant thing. There is no real pheasant habitat left in Pennsylvania. Not only should we write them off as a PA game species, but the PGC should do away with the rest of the stocking program. If people want to go shoot penned birds there are a hundred preserves across the State where you can do just that and you don't even NEED a license.

Regarding grouse, wait a few years. They'll bounce back. Their populations are very cyclical. There is good grouse habitat in the state.

As far as deer, no doubt the PGC has gone overboard on reductions the last few years. The good news is, leave the deer alone for a bit and there will be more around then you can shake a stick at. They should never let the population get as high as it was a few years ago though. I would like to see them start applying science to deer management instead of politics.

The two biggest things that need to change is hunting on Sunday and having to have the doe permits go through the countyr treasurers. We have one of the most sophisticated on-line licensing systems available but for doe tags we have to mail in those stupid yellow envelopes that nobody wants to give you and the county treasurer sends you a tag when they get around to it.

I do think it is a travesty that they charge non-residents so much and then make them wait to apply for a doe tag. That would be truly maddening if you were a non-resident landowner.

·
Registered
7,100 Posts
I have no problem paying extra for a license, hunting or fishing. I know that our Fish and Wildlife divsions are getting massively screwed as far as money goes and I respect the job that they do (in most cases)

Will I pay the 30 extra? Yup! Will I pay extra for my Archery Stamp? YUP! Will I hunt enough to make it worth the money?

YOUR DAMN RIGHT I WILL!

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Kighty7 said:
I guess the state legislatures are not the only ones who want more money. I just heard a news report that the Game Commission wants to raise the liscence price to $30.00 next year. Tell me it is not so! I am so frustrated with the GC right now I want to vomit! I also just checked the web site and my area 1B is sold out. I guess my friends from out of state will stay away from hunting camp this year. No doe tags for them so they will not bother to buy a regular liscence. Do the people in the GC know what they are doing? First they write the slaughter of all the doe and young bucks, then they tell me I can't harvest anything that has less than 4 points to a side, yet a 12-16 year old can shoot anything they please. I have watched many of my friend in the area sell their hunting stuff and quit all together! So of them now only hunt out of state. The GC is turning a billion $ business into a smaller business. I was wondering what anyone else thinks or knows about the subject.
According to the newspaper article I read yesterday, you heard almost right. But I'm pretty sure that it's just in a preliminary proposal stage. It wouldn't be voted on until next year, and wouldn't go into effect until you buy your license in 2007. So I wouldn't fret about something two years down the road.

IMHO, I don't think 30 bucks is that much. If they would leave the ML and archery stamps at the same price, the additional 10 bucks won't be a big deal. My total package right now cost something like $47.00. If they only raise the basic license, no big deal. Now if they raise the price of the stamps, I might become more concerned.

Hey...look at the other real problem. If the price of gas doesn't stop climbing, we won't need to buy a hunting license. No one will be able to afford to drive anywhere to go hunting. Unless you live within walking distance.

I think we've got a lot more bigger things to worry about than the price of our hunting licenses going up 10 bucks by 2007. :confused:

·
Registered
4,390 Posts
If you think $30.00 is too much to pay to support hunting in your State then I think its time to give it up. Especially if you fell that giving the youth a chance at any deer is wrong.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
Mr. October said:
Well, I have a few problems with the PGC but license costs, even at $30.00 isn't one of them. PA hase one of the cheaper license structures in the country.

Regarding some of the game populations, let's get real on the pheasant thing. There is no real pheasant habitat left in Pennsylvania. Not only should we write them off as a PA game species, but the PGC should do away with the rest of the stocking program. If people want to go shoot penned birds there are a hundred preserves across the State where you can do just that and you don't even NEED a license.

Regarding grouse, wait a few years. They'll bounce back. Their populations are very cyclical. There is good grouse habitat in the state.

As far as deer, no doubt the PGC has gone overboard on reductions the last few years. The good news is, leave the deer alone for a bit and there will be more around then you can shake a stick at. They should never let the population get as high as it was a few years ago though. I would like to see them start applying science to deer management instead of politics.

The two biggest things that need to change is hunting on Sunday and having to have the doe permits go through the countyr treasurers. We have one of the most sophisticated on-line licensing systems available but for doe tags we have to mail in those stupid yellow envelopes that nobody wants to give you and the county treasurer sends you a tag when they get around to it.

I do think it is a travesty that they charge non-residents so much and then make them wait to apply for a doe tag. That would be truly maddening if you were a non-resident landowner.
I agree with just about everything you said. With the exception of making non-residents wait to apply for a doe tag and the price they charge. I think non-residents should have to wait. In some areas, competition for the permits is heavy enough just with resident hunters. Let the non-residents apply at the same time, and there will be a lot of hunters who live in PA that don't get their tag. I don't think this is fair. I firmly believe the non-residents should have to settle for "second fiddle". Even if they do own land. If they don't live here, make 'em wait. And as far as the cost...heck, if I hunt most of the other surrounding states it will cost me just as much as it cost them to hunt here. Doesn't it? I've never hunting one of the other states as a non-resident.

But residents should have the first chance at the permits. I firmly believe that. That's one thing I don't like about the elk permit drawing. :sad:

·
32,873 Posts
kidnutso said:
According to the newspaper article I read yesterday, you heard almost right. But I'm pretty sure that it's just in a preliminary proposal stage. It wouldn't be voted on until next year, and wouldn't go into effect until you buy your license in 2007. So I wouldn't fret about something two years down the road.

IMHO, I don't think 30 bucks is that much. If they would leave the ML and archery stamps at the same price, the additional 10 bucks won't be a big deal. My total package right now cost something like $47.00. If they only raise the basic license, no big deal. Now if they raise the price of the stamps, I might become more concerned.

Hey...look at the other real problem. If the price of gas doesn't stop climbing, we won't need to buy a hunting license. No one will be able to afford to drive anywhere to go hunting. Unless you live within walking distance.

I think we've got a lot more bigger things to worry about than the price of our hunting licenses going up 10 bucks by 2007. :confused:
I totally agree, we are headed for some rough times all around if something doesn't change. Texas is getting a big landfall in Federal money for transportation, part of it is to assure that more people have a diff. mode of transportation, such as bus and bikes. The idea is to force people out of their cars and into a bus or bike to save fuel, I guess but gouging folks out of their hard earned money is not kosher with me. People on fixed incomes are really hurting these days while the mogul oil people are rolling in dough! :thumbs_do

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
It's all about the numbers, and money, and kickbacks, that's the bottom line---in 1999 PA sold 328,451 bowhunter licenses. In 2004, they sold 284,493. Somebody is going to pay for the reduction in overall license sales, even tho the deer population is now WAY down in PA, almost non-existant now in some of the heavily-hunted areas. Unfortunately, the PGC thinks they can have it all and keep tagging the bowhunters for it, and so far they are getting away with it, at least with many. Eventually all are going to wise up.

Giving out close to 3 million doe tags in 3 years does nothing to help quantity or quality of bucks, it simply helps cull the herd to rediculous numbers, which helps the insurance companies, farmers, etc, but does little for the hunting community.(But yet WE pay for it!???!) This is probably where the kickbacks come in too...

Our group has been hunting PA for close to 20 years, but for the first time since we setup camp there we will be going elsewhere this fall simply due to the lack of deer in the area. Thanks PGC, but no thanks, the well has run dry with us. :thumbs_do

Oh, well, PA is still beautiful country, and it makes for a good vacation spot in the summer.... :sleep:

Hopefully someday there will be deer near our camp again. But if things continue as-is by the time that comes licenses will probably be $500 and you'll have to give up your firstborn for a doe tag. Yeah, a little bitter here, sorry...we've invested alot of years and money there only to have it all stripped away in a short time by those with alterior motives..

Anyway, good luck to all this year. JMHO, Pinwheel 12

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't mind paying 30-50 bucks to hunt but I think it will get worse. What really bothers me about the Game Comission is this 4 point per side rule they put into affect. I think they are attempting to make PA a trophy state to bring in more out of state hunters (more money). I wonder how many hunters had to pass on nice 4 and 6 pointers because of that rule.
I'm no biologist but I would think if you wanted to increase the number of quality buck you don't kill off the deer with the good genes, you kill the ones with the scrawny racks. :confused:
Throw in the overlapping seasons: special muzzeloader, turkey, squirrel etc. with the archery season and the decrease in available hunting areas and the number of hunters wiil decrease. Maybe that is what they should be concerned about.

·
Registered
5,051 Posts
gumba said:
I don't mind paying 30-50 bucks to hunt but I think it will get worse. What really bothers me about the Game Comission is this 4 point per side rule they put into affect. I think they are attempting to make PA a trophy state to bring in more out of state hunters (more money). I wonder how many hunters had to pass on nice 4 and 6 pointers because of that rule.
I'm no biologist but I would think if you wanted to increase the number of quality buck you don't kill off the deer with the good genes, you kill the ones with the scrawny racks. :confused:
Throw in the overlapping seasons: special muzzeloader, turkey, squirrel etc. with the archery season and the decrease in available hunting areas and the number of hunters wiil decrease. Maybe that is what they should be concerned about.

I know I had to pass on a nice 4-pointer, 20 yd quartering away last year in Fayette County. Nice 4 point rack, but he had no brow tines. It was a heart breaker. I for one am only out for the meat. I could care less about the racks. If there happens to be a legal one on the deer...great...but I'd take a doe as soon as I would a buck for what I want it for.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I
know I had to pass on a nice 4-pointer, 20 yd quartering away last year in Fayette County. Nice 4 point rack, but he had no brow tines. It was a heart breaker. I for one am only out for the meat. I could care less about the racks. If there happens to be a legal one on the deer...great...but I'd take a doe as soon as I would a buck for what I want it for.
Oh man! That stinks! An opportuinty to take a deer with a bow doesn't come that often in a hunting season (at least where I hunt it doesn't).

·
Registered
522 Posts
To be honest, I don't think $30.00 for a hunting lisence is all that much. Even adding in the extras you still have an opportunity to hunt all year ( varmits ). Don't know of any other sport that makes it that affordable for that period of a time.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I personally don't mind spending the extra money either. We have gone thru some rought times recently, but I believe we will start to see a change over the next few years. Sometimes it takes hitting the bottom before people realize something needs to change.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If a liscense were to triple, I would pay it. I pay for the privilege to hunt. There is no entitlement to a harvest. For the money I pay, I hunt at least 100 hours a year. Mostly bowhunting of which about 1/2 of the time is big woods north of I-80. Missed my biggest buck ever last year, and saw numerous deer in a public land up there.

I also had to let two different sub-legal bucks walk on the last two days of archery in my home county of Westmd. Both bucks were less than 10 yards and as I hunt on the ground, the experience of those last two evenings was worth every penny I spent last year.

If you are pissing and moaning about the cost of a liscense in PA, then you probably suffer from two ailments. One is that you focus way too much on those damned antlered forest rats and secondly, you think that your liscense should garuntee you to shoot game. Sorry. It don't work that way.

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
kidnutso said:
I agree with just about everything you said. With the exception of making non-residents wait to apply for a doe tag and the price they charge. I think non-residents should have to wait. In some areas, competition for the permits is heavy enough just with resident hunters. Let the non-residents apply at the same time, and there will be a lot of hunters who live in PA that don't get their tag. I don't think this is fair. I firmly believe the non-residents should have to settle for "second fiddle". Even if they do own land. If they don't live here, make 'em wait. And as far as the cost...heck, if I hunt most of the other surrounding states it will cost me just as much as it cost them to hunt here. Doesn't it? I've never hunting one of the other states as a non-resident.

But residents should have the first chance at the permits. I firmly believe that. That's one thing I don't like about the elk permit drawing. :sad:
You have a bit of a point but with PA property taxes I'd at least like to see those that own land here have a chance to get a permit. The problem is if they aren't happy they are going to post land that would otherwise be open. If they aren't allowed to hunt why would they let anyone else? Also, remember that non-residents pay a lot more money. For that they should be at least given the chance to get a tag. I hunt NJ and tags are plentiful there for everyone. I don't believe New York, Ohio, or Maryland discriminate against non-hunters either.

Remember, most residents are hunting near home. That means they go home to eat, and don't stay at hotels or provide an influx of sales to the state that aren't already there. There was a time when small towns in PA stayed afloat on non-resident hunting revenues.

·
Registered
11,942 Posts
Pinwheel 12 said:
It's all about the numbers, and money, and kickbacks, that's the bottom line---in 1999 PA sold 328,451 bowhunter licenses. In 2004, they sold 284,493. Somebody is going to pay for the reduction in overall license sales, even tho the deer population is now WAY down in PA, almost non-existant now in some of the heavily-hunted areas. Unfortunately, the PGC thinks they can have it all and keep tagging the bowhunters for it, and so far they are getting away with it, at least with many. Eventually all are going to wise up.
Adding a week of muzzleloader, a weekend of rifle, and another week of small game in the middle of archery season has dampened the enthusiasm of quite a few bowhunters. Many have taken the "if you can't beat them, join them approach".

Also, the PGC shows no willingness to expand bowhunting opportunities. They keep expanding the areas where you can hunt bears during deer season but refuse to allow bowhunters the chance to take a bear during bow season if the opportunity presents itself. They claim they are afraid of the impact on the bear population. We are probably talking about an additional harvest of 100 bears here. Big deal!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Quitting hunting because of a few rules is OBSERED. I cant believe you would just quit because of a few little rules. COME ON people its a sport and all sports have rules and regulations, just be a good athlete and follow them. And im so sick and tired of hearing guys ***** about not having deer to shoot. Thats not what its all about, go out and try to enjoy yourself, you dont always need to shoot somthing to have fun ok? If there isnt anything around you...go find a new spot to hunt. And if you think 30.00 is cheap, go try to find a license out of state, then come back and tell me how much they want for it. I honestly think the deer population is down a bit but does it bother me? not a tiny bit. I like trying to find my game and makeing it alittle tougher, I like it more now, than when you would walk in the woods and every 20 yards deer are bouncen out everywhere. You all need to look at what huntings really about not just the kill but being out and enjoying a sport. Also is it such a problem to pass on little bucks COME ON you complain about not having big bucks but then cant have the patience to let them grow. This whole thread makes me sick to sit here and listen to this complaining.

Dan

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.