Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received this update earlier today concerning the PA Mentored Youth Pheasant Hunting..

Prior to last year's budget reductions, PA allocated 20,000 pheasants for Youth Hunts. 18,000 were released state-wide and 2,000 were made available to sportsmen's clubs for mentored hunts on State Game Lands.
Last year (2005) the allocation was 15,000 for Youth Hunts and the 2,000 for sportsmen was eliminated. However, they had a good production year; therefore, the state increased the number from 15,000 to 18,000.
This year, PA will once again allocate 15,000 for state-wide release for Youth Hunts and reinstated 1500 pheasants for sportsmen. The Executive Director directed the Game Farms to accommodate all requests for mentored hunts; therefore, the 1500 has been increased to 1700.
As far as I know, PA will still stock 100,000 adult pheasants for the season. As noted earlier, this is a 50% reduction because of budget cuts. There is hope that the level will increase back to 200,000 adult birds if and when license fees are increased.
Looks like good news for PA youth hunters and pheasant hunters in general.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Here is my thoughts on the Pheasant stocking program............

Its a big waste of money!!!!
Raising a bird that is not even native to this country and releasing them out of crates to some guy that blasts it before it ever touches the ground is a total waste.
Thats not even hunting in my book. Come to Pa. on the opener of Pheasant season on game lands and you will see what I mean!!!!

·
Registered
11,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kickin_Killa said:
Here is my thoughts on the Pheasant stocking program............

Its a big waste of money!!!!
Raising a bird that is not even native to this country and releasing them out of crates to some guy that blasts it before it ever touches the ground is a total waste.
Thats not even hunting in my book. Come to Pa. on the opener of Pheasant season on game lands and you will see what I mean!!!!
wow. in NY, the birds get released a few days ahead of the season, as to give them the chance to acclimate to the new surroundings. Even at many of the pheasant preserves the birds are released at least one full day ahead of a planned hunt for the same reasons.

I do know what you mean about basically using pheasants as clay pigeons. That practice is FUBAR.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts