Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Pa does away with baiting...I personally love the idea.What do you guys think??

I think it made deer more nocturnal and educated a bunch of deer.

·
Registered
272 Posts
:set1_applaud: I wish the entire state of SC would follow suit.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Never could bait in PA.
The last two years you could bait in the special regulation areas. the game commission had a sunset clause. They let it expire. Im all for it ending.

·
Bowhunt/Homebrew have FUN
22,653 Posts
Can't seem

The last two years you could bait in the special regulation areas. the game commission had a sunset clause. They let it expire. Im all for it ending.
to find anything that states this - could someone point me in the right direction...perhaps a link or something???

I know there was some talk, but I haven't seen nor heard of anything being voted on yet other than the season and bag limits....

Thanks guys.....

Joe

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
If you plant a food plot in order to attract deer and then hunt over it your baiting them in not?
There are places where food/bait plots are illegal also and as Dillio67 said earlier "I personally love the idea".
I've hunted area where it was illgal to hunt fields with unharvested crops and even ones with haybales left in them.

Why ban one type of baiting then, ban it all! That would be allot of banning wouldn't it...

·
Registered
189 Posts
to find anything that states this - could someone point me in the right direction...perhaps a link or something???

I know there was some talk, but I haven't seen nor heard of anything being voted on yet other than the season and bag limits....

Thanks guys.....

Joe
12Ringer
I just went to the Pa Game Commission web sight but I couldn't find a link or anything for that matter in reference to the baiting. I did read last week (can't remember where) that since the baiting did not seem to do what they thought it would they were going to let it die. (sunset clause).

·
<--Son's First Buck!
8,965 Posts

·
22,653 Posts
Thanks

This will put a BIG cramp in my "camtrapping" - I typically use baits to attract target game into my cam sets all year. I guess the law still allows for feeding providing you are not hunting within a certain distance from an active site? Does anyone know this for sure??? I've spent a while wading through the regs/laws and can't seem to find anythign that would suggest the "range" if there even is one??? I know that sites must be abandoned 30-days prior to the start of a season, but that is only if you are using it as a hunting aide.

What do you guys think????
hate to give up on shots like these.......

·
preparation>opportunity
3,065 Posts
I liked baiting, and I would really like to know who they asked about it being successful... I know it helped me a lot. Also I liked keeping my trail-camera out in front of it. what about food plots? are they legal or is that considered baiting?

·
22,653 Posts
from the regs......

"Sec. 2308. Unlawful devices and methods.

(a) General rule
(8) Any artificial or natural bait, hay, grain, fruit, nut, salt, chemical, mineral or other food as an enticement for game or wildlife, regardless of kind and quantity, or take advantage of any such area or food or bait prior to 30 days after the removal of such material and its residue.

Nothing contained in this subsection shall pertain to normal or accepted farming, habitat management practices, oil and gas drilling, mining, forest management activities or other legitimate commercial or industrial practices. Upon discovery of such baited areas, whether prosecution is contemplated or not, the commission may cause a reasonable area surrounding the enticement to be posted against hunting or taking game or wildlife. The posters shall remain for 30 days after complete removal of the bait."

Lawyers and Politicians thrive on terms like reasonable (no offense to all those esquires and politicians amoung us)

"The only legal use of bait is for trapping and hunting of furbearers"

Wonder if "Camtrapping" counts :embara:- as long as I don't have a stand say within 50-100 yards????

·
Registered
25,081 Posts
I dont understand you are aloud to hunt over a corn field but not a pile of corn either way they were put there by humans. Baiting gave those who didnt have a soybean or cornfield the same opportunity as those who have the fields. Thats just my opinion

·
Registered
841 Posts
I think the argument over baiting and making it illegal belongs to the anti hunters and they are winning in a few states. I do not bait because I have to hunt public land, but I am not against it. I kind of think of it as giving back to the animals. It is a completely accepted and most common way to hunt bears pretty much anywhere that I know of, but yet not for deer hunting. But the laws are laws and we have to deal with them.

·
22,653 Posts
Interesting

conversation today in 5C - met with a "self-proclaimed" deputy - (he didn't share official credentials) - he indicated in the at in both 5C and 5D there will be a concentrated effort to catch folks who are baiting this fall. If they locate bait sites while on patrol they will look for stands/blinds and attempt to secure a look-out site (like a drug sting or something).

This guy could have been full of "it" - I was actually leaning that way the more he ran his mouth, but thought I'd share as I would be wiling to be a month's salary some folks won't even know this changed, heck many didn't even know that it started in 2006. :mg:

Seems that they could post the area (as the release states) and/or leave a warning/posting on a stand/blind if they find it..

Oh well, thought I'd share!

Joe

·
Sika Deer Obsessed!
1,923 Posts
As the world turns in PA! Who knows what's next. I'd rather have sunday hunting. I liked the baiting idea.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts