Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
cosmo
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i get cold feet easy and thinking about going away from rubber boots and going to a pac boot . what are you guys liking for a good all around boot a person can walk in

·
Registered
348 Posts
One of the best investments I’ve made in a long time. Cabelas Predator Extreme pac boot. My feet got killed a lot before I got these. Never once have my feet gotten cold wearing these.
Does that have a removable liner? Without that it's not a pac boot, no matter what the description says.

·
Registered
497 Posts
+1 for the Predator Extreme Pac

Yes it has a liner boot

Military surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots are great for keeping warm also but not good for walking

A guy at a boot store told me to try this and he was right..... buy your rubber boots 1 size larger and put wool felt insoles in the bottom.

Look at the construction of a rubber boot, all the insulation is on top of the foot/toes. The cold creeps in from the bottom and the toes get cold first.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I got a pair of boots from Sportsman’s Guide about 5 years ago. Not a pac boot, but 2400 grams of thinsulate and they are very warm and comfortable. Big boots like the cabelas boot. I do use chemical toe warmers stuck to my sock and my feet stay comfortable in very cold late Wisconsin season. Only $60-$70 boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22,758 Posts
As in probably as it sounds, another solution to bulky pac boots is a good quality insulated lace up boot and a pair of boot insulators. I have a pair of Irish Setter 800gr lace ups that are pretty warm on their own when active, but sitting they are not enough for a bitter cold sit. Once on stand I cover them with the Arctic Shield boot insulators and it keeps me going for hours longer. Just make sure to size them for correct application with your particular boot. Others choose to wear in a walking boot and buy a pair of the bulkier boot blankets, then take off their walking boot and add a foot warmer.....they say it is very toasty although I have not personally tried this.

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
I love my Icebreaker boot blankets with a disposable hand warmer. Easy to pack in light weight but they are bulky.

For a pack boot I have the Cabelas Sask. Pack boot nothing warmer but if you have to walk more then a mile they became heavy.

I am looking at a pair of Schnees pack boots.
https://schnees.com/

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
One of the best investments I’ve made in a long time. Cabelas Predator Extreme pac boot. My feet got killed a lot before I got these. Never once have my feet gotten cold wearing these.
Does that have a removable liner? Without that it's not a pac boot, no matter what the description says.
Yes it does.

Another one to look at is the Cabelas Sask pac boot. I believe they may be a bit more in price but they are worth it also.

·
Just Do It.....
30,240 Posts
If I am walking far and then going to sit I wear uninsulated boots and put on icebreaker boot blankets for the sit. For a short walk I wear ranger pac boots that are rated for -40 walking temp and change socks out for the sit. Got to have dry socks to sit in cold.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If i was only walking a short distance the Cabelas Predator Pac boots mentioned above are awesome. Unfortunately walking any distance causes sweating and fatigue due to weight. Not to mention they aren't the easiest when using climbing sticks.

That being said i have switched to the regular insulated boots and Arctic Shield boot blankets. They work pretty good. Much easier to manage.

·
Registered
17,911 Posts
The warmest Pac Boot I found is the La Crosse Ice King, it is a foam lined boot & the liner are easy to remove & have an extra set of liners.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
The warmest Pac Boot I found is the La Crosse Ice King, it is a foam lined boot & the liner are easy to remove & have an extra set of liners.
What kballer said. Buy them a little over size and put in an extra insulating insole under the liner. Makes a huge difference on an all day stand.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Yep...nothing beats the mickeys when it gets cold. I have the white bunny version and they are thick!

+1 for the Predator Extreme Pac

Yes it has a liner boot

Military surplus "Mickey Mouse" boots are great for keeping warm also but not good for walking

A guy at a boot store told me to try this and he was right..... buy your rubber boots 1 size larger and put wool felt insoles in the bottom.

Look at the construction of a rubber boot, all the insulation is on top of the foot/toes. The cold creeps in from the bottom and the toes get cold first.

·
cosmo
1,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a pair of the mickeys , i wear ice fish , man i would hate to walk a ways in them or climb a set of climbing sticks in them

·
Registered
15,414 Posts
I have these as well.
I stand on the ice all day ice fishing and my feet get hot! Not kidding!

They are a little tough to walk in.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Yep...nothing beats the mickeys when it gets cold. I have the white bunny version and they are thick!
I bought a pair of Mickey Mouse boots a few years back. Wore them once and my feet froze. Haven’t worn them since. They’re sitting on my shelf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
First off, I did not read all the posts. If you want a sub zero tree stand boot that wicks foot sweat like no other get the baffin Titans. The liner is removable and wicks like no other. The outside of the liner will be soaking wet and the inside will be bone dry after a full day. The only down side OF the is that the boot does not have the ankle support of a muck .
If staying warm is what you Are considering this is a great boot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts