Archery Talk Forum banner

Pac vs. Hunting boots

1745 Views 9 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  nosualc
How do pac and hunting boots compare when they are of equal insulation weight/type as far as warmth goes?

Thanks.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,226 Posts
I love pac boots...There is nothing like hanging out on the ice(fishing) with a solid pair of sorels on...The problem is that I am having a hard time finding liners for my old stand by boots. If anyone know of where to get some let me know. Thanks. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack.
Bud

· Registered
6,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies, that is what I was thinking of doing. I can hike fine in my 200 gram thinsulate pacs but they just arent warm enough for below 20, so I'm thinking of going to the pacs for extreme cold weather and put them on at stand.

· Registered
235 Posts
I use pac boots. I have for years. Even when I was a guide, going after mountain goats in steep, rugged terrain, I used pac boots. They are super comfortable, nearly impervious to water, and if they do get wet, it is very easy to pull the liners and dry things out. Currently I use Kenetrek 10" Grizzlies, but used to use Sorel Rangers. Unfortunately Sorel doesn't make the Rangers anymore.

One thing I've noticed, however, is that boots today just don't last as many seasons as boots did 15 years ago. I think it's because even those "made in USA" are actually only assembled in the US...the componants are all Chinese :thumbs_do

· The pugs keeper
5,959 Posts
i have twisted my ankle three times in the past and pac boots just kills it. one day in those and i hobble for a week. i go with the best hunting boot i can buy and use artic bootys over them in the stand. sometimes i even wear light boots and slip them off and just put on the bootys with a hot pack in them, and i can atest, i have spent all day never thinking about my feet in dam cold weather. I smash them into my hunting bag and slip them on when i think the cost is clear. good luck with your choice

· Registered
8 Posts
I love pac boots...There is nothing like hanging out on the ice(fishing) with a solid pair of sorels on...The problem is that I am having a hard time finding liners for my old stand by boots. If anyone know of where to get some let me know. Thanks. Sorry, didn't mean to highjack.
Bud
Sorel has been bought/sold several times. I think Columbia owns them now. IMO they are a shadow of their former selves; everything they make is el-cheapo made in China crap now. The only Sorel stuff I can find anymore is just the boots; none of the local stores carry replacement liners anymore.

The only liners I've been able to find to fit my old Sorels are made by Baffin. They work great, fit perfectly.

try winterfootwear.com (I'd post a URL for you, but the forum won't let me until I have 5 posts.. trying to cut down on SPAM I suppose).

Baffin also makes really nice new Pac boots if you're interested.

-nosualc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.