Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start I have only ratttled a few deer in since I have been hunting and the grunt usually works best for me no doubt but before last year i switched to the rack pack system and over the past2 seasons have had absolutely zero luck..just wondering if anyone else has used these or should i toss em...they dont sound too bad but i know there are bucks in the area im hunting and i dont rattle everytime i pick my spots to rattle and grunt so deer do not get used to it but over the past couple seasons have seen nothing with the rack pack....

thanks

·
Registered
583 Posts
Two years ago had a ton of success blind rattling with the pack rack...6 bucks over a two day period. And then 2 or 3 deer that I could see crossing meadow came right to me with just a little tickle. One came over 500 yards. I would agree that everthing has to be right for it to work...during these times I'm guessing anything would have worked. Where I hunt rut is very aggressive so they are looking for the fight.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea i could see that bc like i said they sound really good and i like em bc there is not alot of arm movement and just can be done pretty concealed in a bow stand...maybe its not quite time here in SC my step dad said he heard a few knocking each other last weekend but could just be a little sparring...you never know around here when its a high of 55 and low of 30 one week and this week the lows are 50s and high at 80..LOL good ol south...maybe itll kick in good when it cools off for good

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have the large model and i find it awkward as heck to carry, takes up half my back pack and loud everytime it clinks into something. Wish it had a strap or something to attach it to a back. But as far as the question goes, never once had a deer come in to it.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
I didnt like the pack rack. Not trying to dog it at all cause it works for some, but its way too plastic sounding. The bonehead by knight and hale sounds great, very realistic. If I have a lot to carry it goes with me. Otherwise I prefer real sheds

·
Banned
459 Posts
I've tried the pack rack. It sounds nothing like real horns. I'll even use fake horns, they sound good too and have had success with them.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I have been rattling for about ten years. There has only been one year that I can say for sure, that I rattled in a buck. That year, in one day, I rattled in two different bucks that came running to the rattling. Everything just had to be exactly right. I know it looks easy when they do it in Texas, but from my experience and people I talk to, it just isn't that effective everywhere. When you go to a ranch with ratios of 1:1 and 1:2, it is a lot different than hunting a place with four or five does to each buck.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
I have the large model and i find it awkward as heck to carry, takes up half my back pack and loud everytime it clinks into something. Wish it had a strap or something to attach it to a back. But as far as the question goes, never once had a deer come in to it.
Saw a Youtube video where the guy put his rattlers on a bungie cord threaded onto eye-hooks so he could position each antler on opposite hips and hooked it at the front.... tried it... works great and silent. Keep it simple.

many people work the antlers too hard and drive off the less aggressive bucks. I try grunting first.... then rattle about 30 min later,... followed by short grunt(s) and so on. Just try to allow enough time for the deer to react and come in from a distance. You would be amazed at how far the sound of a rattle {or grunt} will carry on a calm day.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I def agree especially here in SC deer are pressure so hard from Aug 15 to Jan 1st and its baited all year round i just think they dont react to rattlin much, like i said i am not even sure the one i rattled in was coming to the rattle but he showed up about 5 minutes later, now the grunt and snort wheeze works awesome here, heard em grunt back and crashing through the woods to get to me....yea i have used real sheds but just like the idea of the smaller pack rack in my bag, just convenient

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Ive had great luck with the rack pack. . . The thing to remember is you are trying to fool deer, not humans. . . Some people get caught up on the fact that it is plastic, but a deer doesn't know what plastic is. . .

As with anything, you need to have the right conditions, and timing. You wont constantly be rattling in deer year round with anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.