Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into a pack that will carry a set of climbing sticks (Lone Wolf, Rapid Rails, etc.), my guidos web (similar to tree saddle for those not familiar with it) and possible my bow and other items. I have lookined into the Blind Hog, Wild Thing, Black Creeks Rigg-It, as well as thinking about just using the new military type system that has the "plastic" frame with shoulder straps and belt or just a pack frame. I was wondering if you all had some suggestions or recommendations.

I thought about using the new military type system that has the "plastic" frame with shoulder straps and belt or just a pack frame and strapping everything to it, but then thought what do I do with the frame and such nce I get up the tree. I guess I could just hand it off a hook like you would a normal back pack. But I am not sure this the best option if I want to be able to put my bow on or have pockets to carry other things.

I also thought about the Magnus RackPack. I could the same as mentioned above, but then I would also have it for carrying blinds and a blind chair. More uses for one product.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion or recommendation. Others that are using the climbing sticks and guidos web or tree saddle set set up, how do you transport everything? Please note, that I probably would not just wear the guidos web in since I don't think it would be very comfortable to try to have a pack on over the back of it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I use the MOLLE II Rifleman pack/frame system to carry my stuff, it costs about $80 used and is very versatile. It works well, balances and supports the weight evenly, and is pretty comfortable. My rapid rails get strapped on with a cinch strap, my treesaddle goes in the big main pack, the two sustainment pouches (containing my Ameristep platform, kneepads, headlight, grunt tube, rattle bag, TP, rangefinder, bow/accessory hanging belt, etc.) get snapped on to the big MOLLE pack and then snapped onto either side of my treesaddle belt when I get to my tree. I carry my bow and quiver in hand by the string or the grip, usually have my release on my wrist and sometimes have an arrow nocked as I have walked up on deer before when I have been walking in. I just leave the MOLLE frame and main pack at the base of the tree, no sense in hauling that up with me.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use the MOLLE II Rifleman pack/frame system to carry my stuff, it costs about $80 used and is very versatile. It works well, balances and supports the weight evenly, and is pretty comfortable. My rapid rails get strapped on with a cinch strap, my treesaddle goes in the big main pack, the two sustainment pouches (containing my Ameristep platform, kneepads, headlight, grunt tube, rattle bag, TP, rangefinder, bow/accessory hanging belt, etc.) get snapped on to the big MOLLE pack and then snapped onto either side of my treesaddle belt when I get to my tree. I carry my bow and quiver in hand by the string or the grip, usually have my release on my wrist and sometimes have an arrow nocked as I have walked up on deer before when I have been walking in. I just leave the MOLLE frame and main pack at the base of the tree, no sense in hauling that up with me.
Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually got a molle pack plastic frame with sholder straps and waist belt and I may give it a try.

Any more suggestions/recommendations?

·
Registered
492 Posts
I bought a HornHunter Mainbeam to do the exact same thing you want to do. I have my saddle inside with the LW sticks on each side of the pack. Carrys them well and I can put my Exceed on the back of the pack as well.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Any more ideas?

·
Registered
491 Posts
I always wore the web like a back pack, and put the climbing sticks in between the back and the seat. Then if I needed more space I would hang my pack from the metal y bar that comes off the bottom of the seat, which when folded up is sticking up.

That's about the only complaint I had with the web is it's heavy, but it is the most comfortable stand there is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I use a Kelty Cache Hauler if im moving a lot of gear or somewhere that I'll need to pack an animal out. It's a great backpack, but it's too big to double as a day pack. I strap my daypack to it and leave it at camp or close to my stand. It doesn't matter how big or high tech internal frame packs are, you're still going to be able to carry more with an external frame. The internals are usually more comfortable and quieter though. The old "mobilty vs firepower" dilemma.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I always wore the web like a back pack, and put the climbing sticks in between the back and the seat. Then if I needed more space I would hang my pack from the metal y bar that comes off the bottom of the seat, which when folded up is sticking up.
That's about the only complaint I had with the web is it's heavy, but it is the most comfortable stand there is.

x2

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
I am looking into a pack that will carry a set of climbing sticks (Lone Wolf, Rapid Rails, etc.), my guidos web (similar to tree saddle for those not familiar with it) and possible my bow and other items. I have lookined into the Blind Hog, Wild Thing, Black Creeks Rigg-It, as well as thinking about just using the new military type system that has the "plastic" frame with shoulder straps and belt or just a pack frame. I was wondering if you all had some suggestions or recommendations.

I thought about using the new military type system that has the "plastic" frame with shoulder straps and belt or just a pack frame and strapping everything to it, but then thought what do I do with the frame and such nce I get up the tree. I guess I could just hand it off a hook like you would a normal back pack. But I am not sure this the best option if I want to be able to put my bow on or have pockets to carry other things.

I also thought about the Magnus RackPack. I could the same as mentioned above, but then I would also have it for carrying blinds and a blind chair. More uses for one product.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else had a suggestion or recommendation. Others that are using the climbing sticks and guidos web or tree saddle set set up, how do you transport everything? Please note, that I probably would not just wear the guidos web in since I don't think it would be very comfortable to try to have a pack on over the back of it.

Thanks.
This guidos web IS a backpack! I just put my climbing sticks in between the seat and the back support. The Guido doesn't really compare to the saddle as far as packing in. The saddle is much lighter, but the WEb makes up for it by folding into a backpack. Just lay your sticks in between the seat and you back support and you are good to go. Also, you can put a backpack over the web but I just use a big fanny pack and take it off when I get up the tree (and I do carry a TON of sht in the woods with me).

·
Registered
548 Posts
This guidos web IS a backpack! I just put my climbing sticks in between the seat and the back support. The Guido doesn't really compare to the saddle as far as packing in. The saddle is much lighter, but the WEb makes up for it by folding into a backpack. Juslay your sticks in between the seat and you back support and you are good to go. Also, you can put a backpack over the web but I just use a big fanny pack and take it off when I get up the tree (and I do carry a TON of sht in the woods with me).
Thats the way to do it!

·
Registered
91 Posts

I made my own for my Rails and saddle, and also made one for a buddy who used Lone wolf sticks.

After seeing how fast my rapid rails were though, he sold the sticks and bought rapid rails, the pack worked for them too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts