Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you recommend a bow package for around 499.00 or just the bow and piece it together yourself?

This would be my first bow ever and I am looking for advice.

·
Registered
345 Posts
X2. Get into the sport with a simple package and then grow from there. If you were to buy a bare bow and then accessories you'd go over $500 easily.

·
Registered
Isaiah 6:8
2,261 Posts
i would just buy a bow then the accessories. generally package bows come with less than high quality accessories

·
The Impartial Archer
18,552 Posts
Package if you are new because it's put together for you. Once you get into it more you start to learn what you want for your own needs. Then you can start to customize your system.

That's why I (personally) would never buy a used bow with all the accessories.......hell it took me years to groom my system to fit my needs why would I want someone else's version of what they wanted?

Reactions: Frontier82

·
Registered
180 Posts
No wrong answer. I predict your gonna really like shooting a bow. My first compound was a mail order pse package bow, and I became very efficient with it. If you have access to a bow shop go in and ask questions.
I wouldn’t worry about finding the perfect bow because 30 years on and I’m still looking.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Some of the packages have pretty decent components. It seems like it is a very economical choice and as your preferences change you can add what you want over time.

·
Registered
Mathews Atlas, Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL, QAD HDX, Conquest Stabs, Black Eagle Rampage Arrows
176 Posts
First bow, definitely package. You’ll learn what you like & don’t like.
I 2nd this. First bow, you need to get your feet wet and over time you’ll figure out what you like/prefer. Then upgrade accordingly from there.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Package deal. You will spend more time trying to find the rights accessories without really knowing what to expect. Spend your time learning the fundamentals of archery and as you grow in that, then you will be better able to make decisions on the other things.

·
Registered
23,665 Posts
The positives of a package is that it is ready to shoot for a novice.....you don't have to figure out how to set up a bow before actually shooting it or paying someone to do that work. If you go that route, the biggest initial challenge will be getting the draw length correct and matching the proper arrows.

Negatives, as mentioned, are package accessory components are often lower end quality.....which means you pay for it upfront and then eventually pay to replace them as you learn. There might be minimal resale value, but not much. Plus you have no idea if it is set up correctly from the factory for your form and physique. A "pro" tuner can set up a bow perfectly.....for them.....but that doesn't mean it will shoot the best in your hands simply because you are a different body type....different hand on the grip....different peep height....different anchor and likely different poundage and DL preferences.

Bottom line is that whatever you choose will just be an entry point into the grand sport/hobby of archery. As noted above, most of us who have been shooting a while have had multiples of every facet of gear.....simply because we grown in the sport and continue to look for what works best.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
i would just buy a bow then the accessories. generally package bows come with less than high quality accessories
Negatives, as mentioned, are package accessory components are often lower end quality.....which means you pay for it upfront and then eventually pay to replace them as you learn. There might be minimal resale value, but not much.

As noted above, most of us who have been shooting a while have had multiples of every facet of gear.....simply because we grown in the sport and continue to look for what works best.
Accessories on a package bow may not be "high end" but they're often not "low end" either. They're in that "plenty good enough to get it done" range, at a reasonable price.

As a beginner, none of us knew what we were going to like, or want, or need. So why buy the expensive stuff right off the bat?

Resale was mentioned. True, you'll take a hit on resale, but the other side of that is that you don't have much invested in that accessory up front either. Would you rather lose 50% of a package $30 sight that you decide to upgrade, or take a hit on a $150 sight that you bought on your buddy's recommendation because it worked for him (but not for you, as you later found out) as you pieced together a non-packaged bow?

My recommendation obviously is go with a package deal. Shoot the heck out of it. You'll start to get a feel for what you think you're going to want to change, and more importantly, why. That will help guide you more than anything as you start to upgrade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I started out with a package deal bow. I kinda regret it, I had it for about three months before I wanted to start getting better equipment. If I could go back and do it over again I would get just the bow and buy the accessories I wanted in the first place.

·
Registered
239 Posts
For you living in Tucson this is a no brainer. Just go over to PSE and have them put together a package for you. This is what I did for my son's first bow.
Dale

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Most of the ready to hunt packages the accessories such as sight, rest etc are for the most part cheap and you will end replacing them with better quality stuff in short order. But it's whatever you want really. You may find out your happy with the lower end stuff for awhile.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Torn on this one. When I was new I bought a package deal and liked it, worked for me and wasn’t sure if I was going to like archery so I wouldn’t be out that much money if I didn’t like archery. But if are going to dive right in I would buy bare bow and buy quality accessories off the classifieds sectionand that will save you money in the long run.

·
NOOBY
816 Posts
I absolutely would NOT buy a package. I did this and changes out most stuff within a few weeks learning the hard way. Do your research and don't make the mistakes I did. Depends on budget really. If you have a heathier one go piece by piece, but if you really tight, you will have to do a package.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Would you recommend a bow package for around 499.00 or just the bow and piece it together yourself?

This would be my first bow ever and I am looking for advice.
First bow yes. Ready to hunt packages come with lesser quality accessories. They are not junk or crappy by any means. The sights, rests, quivers are fully capable and dependable enough to kill a deer or do anything anyone else is doing with a bow . Getting out and shooting will determine what you like or don’t like. I know people with package bows that have had them unchanged for several years.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
most packages have less than optimum quality accessories and they usually have a lower shelf bow as well. i'd stay away from packages. buy a decent bow and pick what you need, so you control the quality. if you pick out good accessories, they will last a long time and can be put on other bows as you step up in experience. go to your local shop and talk to them about putting together a package on separate good quality components. most shops will be happy work with you if you get everything at the same time. you might pay more than a pre selected package, but it will be what you want and will definately be better quality. in my opinion, you are throwing your money away by getting a package with lower quality equipment just to make a good price. you can always return that favor of a good price on a package, by giving the shop your business and that will be appreciated .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts