Archery Talk Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
most packages have less than optimum quality accessories and they usually have a lower shelf bow as well. i'd stay away from packages. buy a decent bow and pick what you need, so you control the quality. if you pick out good accessories, they will last a long time and can be put on other bows as you step up in experience. go to your local shop and talk to them about putting together a package on separate good quality components. most shops will be happy work with you if you get everything at the same time. you might pay more than a pre selected package, but it will be what you want and will definately be better quality. in my opinion, you are throwing your money away by getting a package with lower quality equipment just to make a good price. you can always return that favor of a good price on a package, by giving the shop your business and that will be appreciated .
[/QUOTE
Let’s assume this is a new inexperienced archer. Can a new archer know what accessories they like or don’t like on their first go around? An archery shop should appreciate the business of someone new buying a package bow just as much as a custom set up.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I agree with the go to pse factory and have them help you out.
Lucky
Where is the factory? Are you meaning something else? Can you even go to the factory? How practical would that be for the majority? And your narrowing it to one brand. I do think PSE package bows are pretty good though.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Would you recommend a bow package for around 499.00 or just the bow and piece it together yourself?

This would be my first bow ever and I am looking for advice.
Do not buy an expensive bow with expensive accessories unless you have a dealer willing to spend several hours with you letting you shoot multiple bows and be willing to swap out and set up different accessories. That would be a big start to knowing what you want. 10 trips or more to the range will be the true test. Good luck and let us know what you decided on.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
i did say "talk to your shop about a package from separate components",....there's no reason someone that is new to archery cannot do this and end up with a better rig than he would buying a pre-selected package. every shop i have ever been in, was eager to work with new archers wanting to shoot. some shops, make up thier own packages,...most of them are better than manufacturer or distributor selected packages because they are more in tune with what the local market prefers. what you fail to realize, is that most people who buy a pre-selected package don't learn anything about archery from buying the package, and don't learn the things they should about the stuff in thier package....."Here, i've got this package for you, everything you need is included and it's ready to shoot"." you don't have to do anything but load arrow and shoot". at least if they go into a shop and talk about separate components with a package price, they will learn a little about the differences between components and bows.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Would you recommend a bow package for around 499.00 or just the bow and piece it together yourself?

This would be my first bow ever and I am looking for advice.
Something else to think about. Package bows are generally marketed and set up for the hunting crowd. Are you going to shoot a little bit before season then go hunting or get involved in any kind of target or competition?

·
Registered
Hoyt Hyper Force Hoyt CRX 32. Trophy ridge Easton FMJs
803 Posts
Package deal for sure if getting started this will allow you to get a chance to learn what you need without spending a fortune and that’s easy to do in this sport
Welcome to Archery 🏹
And good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm in a similar position. Trying to decide between package or bare bow and add components. Although I think I'm buying a bare bow and getting the shop to make it a package with the components I want, I think there are some pretty decent Ready to Hunt packages out there for 499 and 599.

The downside of a package for ME was some components I wouldn't purchase if I were adding it to a bare bow. I don't like composite sights because on my kids' bows, the housing moves depending on the torque of the screws. It doesn't bother them, but it bothers me. I also don't like tube style peep sights, which many package bows come with. They move on the string too easily.

On the flip side, I don't think I need a $100+ stablizer since I'm restarting archery after 25 years, so any stabilizer will work for now (or not use one). As for the quiver, it needs to hold arrows until I take it off in the stand. There are better ones (lighter, more flush mounted, integrated LED lights, smells like roses) in the market than the ones that come in a package, but it's an arrow holder and I don't think that's going to make or break it for me, yet.

They almost all come with an inexpensive whisker biscuit style rest. Many folks shun those but they've worked for years and years and many hunters still use them because they capture the arrow better than drop away rests. I'm ordering a drop away rest with my package because of the discount I get by making it part of the package. I'll shoot it, but have no hesitation around putting a whisker biscuit back on if I don't like the drop away.

I think a lot of packages you are pretty much paying for the bow and the components are essentially coming free with the bow. I would guess the manufacturer has less than $25 in costs of the components.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am just getting into archery myself and have decided to buy a good bow and kit it out from there. I have a bit higher budget available so it works better for me. My biggest issue though is I do not want to get an entry level bow and then have to trade up in a year for something nicer. I would rather get a good base bow and change out accessories as needed and invest the time in learning proper form with a higher quality bow.

·
Registered
Compound and bare bow recurve.
752 Posts
Know going in that some package bows use better accessories than others. The only package bow that I would buy is from Bear archery, as they own and use trophy ridge stuff. The octane accessories that came on my daughters Diamond and Bowtech bows were pretty cheap and needed to be replaced shortly after purchasing her bow. That is my experience anyway. I have a Trophy Ridge WB rest on both my Mathews bows, as an example and they are great.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts