Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I am incredibly anal about packing stuff and shipping it out, I admit it. What I have seen is, not everyone is. I have received bows in boxes with no padding but rests still attached (yup, that's going right through the box), arrows in makeshift arrow boxes, just rattling around, and broadheads ("brand new" BTW), shipped in sandwich bags, all together, rattling around in the box. There's been more too, rests and hardware rattling around and absolutely no padding ("brand new" rest comes in with scratches on it from the bolt and washer), sights completely taken apart in a bag, in a box (again, rattling around an scratches).

So, what is the "etiquette", especially when trading? What's the expectation vs, "buyer beware"?

In many of these cases, I didn't get pics that can 100% prove the scratches weren't there, and I have never received a non-functional piece of equipment as a result. But....if I buy or trade for something brand new, I want to be the person who makes it NOT brand new. Is this just way too entitled? I ask because I see a lot of folks post how they "use" their gear (like those of us who don't trash our stuff don't...), and I admit, I like things to stay as nice and functional as possible, while still using it for its intended purposes.

I did a quick search and didn't find other posts about this, I am sure it's been talked about before, but hard to figure out what to search for. This was sparked by a recent trade for brand spanking new _________. My ________ was in original packaging with bubble wrap in the box to make sure everything was secure. What I got was a bunch of _______ rattling around in a box, with all the parts in a sandwich bag, no longer brand new. I'm not looking to put anyone on blast, but when I contacted the person, they basically said "sorry, I didn't think to package it better..." I am also not looking to send the stuff back and have him send my pristine ______ back to me, it's just not worth the effort at this point and I can buy replacement parts to make the _______ new again.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
Jim Beam Apple, Mathews, Jim Beam Apple
2,074 Posts
Im with you.....if i receive something rattling arround.....im not happy.....let alone if there is damage. Better be packaged good.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I try to package items the way that I want to receive them. Package them, so they can pass the UPS gorilla handling test.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are my standards (if things are wrapped, then I tape the wrap to make sure it stays on):
Bows: in a legit bow box, with paddling on bottom and top to protect cams, any accessories, not installed, bubble wrapped and secure in the middle
Arrows: in a tube or legit arrow box, rubber banded together and paddling to make sure they don't rattle around
Releases: bubble wrap or padded to they don't rattle around, IF shipped in an envelope, I will put the release in a tyvek envelope first, or otherwise make sure it's not going to bust through the envelope
Sight: loose bolts, taped together, mount bubble wrapped, sight bubble wrapped, padding so it doesn't rattle around
Rest: loose bolts taped together and separated from rest, wrap the rest and make sure it doesn't rattle around
Broadheads: in OE packaging, or, separated with foam, taped to cardboard, or individually wrapped, then pack the box so NOTHING moves around during transit. I would never use an envelope for loose BHs, only if they were in OE packaging.

Too much, too little?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I try to package items the way that I want to receive them. Package them, so they can pass the UPS gorilla handling test.
I think part of the problem is, lots of folks don't really care too much about how things get to them. I think that's what I am getting at, maybe I care too much and should lighten-up (?)

·
Registered
462 Posts
I bought a TRX40 with a sight and rest. The box arrived and it was oversized without a single piece of padding or foam. Luckily the bow was perfect when I opened the box. But as soon as I saw the bow with no packaging I thought I was going to be very salty.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I make a point to save all my custom or odd shaped boxes/packing material from new orders. This way I will have the material needed to properly ship an item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51,165 Posts
Agree stuff you bought or traded for should be properly packaged for shipping. BUT what your actually buying is USED stuff dispite what they tell you. If in fact it was BRAND new, unused it would be in the orginal packaging, no marks. Your example of the rest it was clearly used. Packing bows, from the manufacturer they are slipped in a plain plastic bag, put in the box with no packing and 99,9% of them arrive at the dealer just fine.
But make no mistake if it isn't in a orginal packaging it is used.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have insurance on the package and damage happens they will look at packaging before they pay any claim. Each company UPS, FedEx, and USPS all have minimum packaging requirements. All product must have 2 inch of protection between product and box or claims will be denied. People just need to think how would they like to receive the product they buy.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Agree stuff you bought or traded for should be properly packaged for shipping. BUT what your actually buying is USED stuff dispite what they tell you. If in fact it was BRAND new, unused it would be in the orginal packaging, no marks. Your example of the rest it was clearly used. Packing bows, from the manufacturer they are slipped in a plain plastic bag, put in the box with no packing and 99,9% of them arrive at the dealer just fine.
But make no mistake if it isn't in a orginal packaging it is used.
Not necessarily true. I have had brand new broadheads, never used, but original packaging was too bulky to keep in my acherey tool box. I've sold brand new releases that I've never used and shipped them, not using the original packaging because it was too large and I didn't want to take the hit on shipping. Arrows too, I'd rather ship in a cardboard tube than some of the square arrow boxes I have (cheaper)
It's not like I'd ever pay brand new prices, buy if someone states they're brand new, never used, they should get to me in brand new, never used condition.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
You're not the only one, it's downright irritating sometimes. I don't know if it's because people are generally ignorant and apathetic, of if it's because they don't have any packing supplies laying around.

I'm less inclined to give folks the benefit of the doubt these days, almost every household gets stuff shipped to them online. They should have the required material to pack something correctly.

On the occasion I do go to a bow shop, I ask for bow boxes, and store them until I need to ship something out. A little planning can go a long way. You can pretty much judge a persons character by how they pack a bow to ship....

·
Registered
17,368 Posts
Not necessarily true. I have had brand new broadheads, never used, but original packaging was too bulky to keep in my acherey tool box. I've sold brand new releases that I've never used and shipped them, not using the original packaging because it was too large and I didn't want to take the hit on shipping. Arrows too, I'd rather ship in a cardboard tube than some of the square arrow boxes I have (cheaper)
It's not like I'd ever pay brand new prices, buy if someone states they're brand new, never used, they should get to me in brand new, never used condition.
I'm a little different on the new out of packaging. I do the same as you with heads since I don't have enough room in my archery tower of heads (over 150 heads in it) but as soon as I take them out of packaging and place them in the tower they are new still but I say never used and stored in my archery tower/BH holder. it's like they get removed from packaging and now they become demo/shelf models that are discounted prices to me. Since in my holder they do touch each other and to me that's not in new condition since everytime I pull out a drawer they can move and slightly rub each other. I'd love to have a BH holder that has 200 individually slots to hold them so they don't touch or anything but I have not seen one made yet. (cost effective also)

For broadheads if I think I might sell or buy high end ones, they stay in packaging (cutthroat, IW, etc....) and put away in closet till I need them or want to sell them but the iron will box is nice due to size and it looks good, so I don't mind having a dz of them box's sitting out on a shelf.

As for shipping a bow I usually take rest off (unless, asked not to) sights always come off, and bow is wrapped in cloth, bubble wrap, or those nice soft floor absorbent pads and I use electric tape on everything since it peels off nicely and some packing tape will pull off coatings on a bow.

I've had ppl sends messages that it was a PIA to unwrap the bow I sent and took them a hr. Most were happy with how it was overly packed safe but 2 in 12 years were pissed off about lol. But if bow got there safe in the same condition as we agreed on/and how it left my house I'm happy.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm a little different on the new out of packaging. I do the same as you with heads since I don't have enough room in my archery tower of heads (over 150 heads in it) but as soon as I take them out of packaging and place them in the tower they are new still but I say never used and stored in my archery tower/BH holder. it's like they get removed from packaging and now they become demo/shelf models that are discounted prices to me.
Unless I buy from a retailer, I expect prices to be discounted, at least 30% below retail, even if it were new in package. Anything less than that, I'm supporting an archery retailer. I always keep broadheads in original packaging if possible, lots of times, I end up cutting the cardboard down to fit. If not possible, I use making tape to cardboard so nothing touches.
I'm with you though, I want the stuff getting to the other person in great shape. I've had 2 packages over the years, get hammered during shipping, both resulted in claims filed and resolved. It's tough to prove though, I had to go back and forth with them, so did the other folks, to prove I didn't pack it wrong/improperly.

·
My Elk Hunting Home
32,365 Posts
maybe I care too much and should lighten-up (?)
Nope, that's not it. Don't ever apologize for focusing on details and/or expecting the same.

I bought a sight from someone one time and it showed up in a giant box by itself just rolling around inside. Luckily it was a Spot Hogg Hogg-it :thumbs_up so there was no damage.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nope, that's not it. Don't ever apologize for focusing on details and/or expecting the same.

I bought a sight from someone one time and it showed up in a giant box by itself just rolling around inside. Luckily it was a Spot Hogg Hogg-it so there was no damage.
Thanks, I really haven't had anything too damaged, just scratched up. The broadheads I've received, rattling around are definitely not "like new" anymore. I guess I sharpen them or replace blades.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Thanks, and some of the replies are the folks who package things like 3 year olds
And would scream the loudest if something THEY bought showed up broken due to insufficient packaging.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts