Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Socket Man
24,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just yesterday I was working with a guy and he was having trouble hinge shooting, finally he gave me some info that was a red flag to me. His hinge didn't have a thumb peg, I told him that he needed one but I wanted to see for myself what it was like to not have one. I went home and set up my hinge without a thumb peg and shot for a while and when I finished I had been reminded how tough hinge shooting really is when you are doing things that do nothing but screw things up.

There are a few of us out there who have become teachers of hinge shooting and we have been through the struggles of equipment and form and firing and aiming. My hinge shooting articles are short and sweet but every little detail was put in them after months of sorting through everything and finding what is really needed.

Good luck and hope to hear from those of you who are working to become real hinge shooters.

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I took off my thumb peg for a little bit. I put my thumb on the side "bump" where the peg screws into though when I drew the bow back. It just never felt right to me so I put the thumb peg back on. I think there's some room for error without it, but if it was more comfortable I'm sure you could still incorporate your technique on set up into that. However, I do think it would be much easier to have the thumb peg on it and learn the fundamentals first.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hi Padgett, I too am learning how to use a hinge release. I have a Tru-Ball BT Gold Ultra 3 I have set it up according to your method and I do like that alot.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Good advice Padgett! When I first started shooting a hinge the guys at the shop told me that using the peg was like using traingwheels on a bike and were making fun of me for Using one. I'm glad I didn't listen to them. I'm glad that you didn't give up on a hinge either after your first experience with one of mine. Haha because you came up with this great routine that starts people off the right way and really takes the headaches out of learning to shoot a hinge.

·
Registered
47,473 Posts
I don't use a peg on my mine. No issues because of it either. But I don't rotate my hand palm out (my hand is almost level) and the peg impeded the release body movement and actually left my hand too tense as well.

·
Registered
8,837 Posts
I think the thumb pegs came along as draw weights used for spot shooting increased. back everyone was shooting around 40 to 45 lbs. for spots, pegs were a rare sight. my daughter shoots her comfort three without a peg. she just puts her thumb on the hump where the peg would screw in. I asked her about, because I knew she used to use the peg, and she it didn't make much difference to her.
on my solution2 the peg is an integral part of pulling the safety bar as I draw, so the peg is necessary. I also have an index finger that has no middle knuckle any more, due to a wood work accident, so the peg really helps me draw the bow.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have to admit i dømt use the peg at all. Just adjusted halfmoon so I can pull equally with all fingers and slighly release of pressure from index and adding some pressure backwards with backmuscles to other fingers causes release to do its work...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think that the thumb peg issue for firing is plausible,but I can't imagine letting down without a thumb peg.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
are some of you guys actually leaving your thumb on the peg, once anchored and initiating your execution?
No.

Anchor. Pin on target. Release peg to clicker. Concentrate on target until the arrow leaves the bow.

When shot feels wrong:

Thumb to peg. Shift weight to index finger and thumb. Let down.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I don't use them either, I hold the release horizontal and the thumb peg is in the way.
You can still set your hinge up according to Padgett's instructions and it works as good as the method works.
I am trying to increase my X count on a Vegas face from my standard 15 average, trying to get into the 20's more often,
hence the experiments with different hand tensions, positions, and release motions. I know what I got, I'm trying to find something better.
As far as letting down goes, just take the pressure off all the fingers except your index finger, the handle swings to a non-shootable position, put the thumb on the side of the handle and come on down. same thing your doing with a thumb peg.

I would note, not all people have the same body shapes, what is working for your body shape, might not work for mine.
you all should remember that no two people are identical and what works for one, does not mean it works for all.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I have a question for everyone that says the peg gets in the way.

How are you guys shooting that the peg gets in the way? Is it because your thumb touches your face with a level hand?

For me, no matter the hand position (level, ~15*, ~30*), my peg never comes anywhere near my face?

·
Widewater Hunt Club
9,387 Posts
I understand fully on teaching someone how to use a hinge and not taking the thumb peg out. Having said that, I take the pegs out on my hinges. The release can always be set a little colder to compensate for the peg being left out. I mostly shoot with them out because it takes some of the movement away in the beginning. Makes the shot sequence seem smoother to me.

·
Registered
8,685 Posts
I have a question for everyone that says the peg gets in the way.

How are you guys shooting that the peg gets in the way? Is it because your thumb touches your face with a level hand?

For me, no matter the hand position (level, ~15*, ~30*), my peg never comes anywhere near my face?
I hold my handle more horizontal, and the peg digs into my neck/throat. My shoulders are probably more parallel to my target line and my face is probably turned more toward my target than you. (not aligned open stance like I see so many do)
why am I horizontal and with a more closed alignment toward the target??
makes my X count go up is why... everything I do, try, or change is an effort to get higher X counts on the yellow face..

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
To piggy back on what ron w said, I've seen some pros executing their shot with their thumb on the peg the whole time. Granted it wasn't wrapped around tight but how are they doing that. I tried it as I'll try anything once and struggled even getting it to go. Are they just setting release a lot hotter or what?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
One of Iowa's best indoor archers shoots by relaxing his thumb, but keeping it on the peg.

Personally, once I got used to a hand position that is more horizontal, a hinge became a no brainer and a very natural way to shoot if you look at your anatomical make up.

I started about 3 years ago, and now the bow just launches arrows....I just stay out of the way.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I may be dating myself a little here, but I remember when hinge releases didn't have thumb pegs! You could always spot a new hinge shooter back then. LOL

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I use the TRU Ball HT PRO without a peg. I put a bit of traction tape on the flat spot where the thumb sits. I have it set up to be able to draw with all three fingers and my thumb on the flat spot. I don't use the peg because it just feels uncomfortable for me, and also the act of moving my thumb off the peg is just an action I can do without. Less movement once I'm on target. For me as far as letting down is a matter of just applying pressure to my index finger and putting my thumb back on the tape..

Picture taken from the web...
untitled00.png

·
10brook
1,891 Posts
No peg for me just got used to being without it... I shoot the carter honey though so pulling back or letting down is so easy without the peg...am anxious to try the new carter honey 2 out!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts