Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to paint any small accessories to match the lost camo pattern?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, I've never done before that but I expect you buy a kit somewhere; if so do the kits come in a specific pattern or do you just have to experiment?

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
If you are wanting to paint or send in to have dipped the steps are the same to prepare the material. First get a can of "Aircraft Stripper". I bought it at Auto Zone. Then you will need Rust O Leum "Self Etching Primer". The paint stripper will remove all old hydrographic from the riser and metal parts. It works on the limbs, but you have to be very careful. I ended up using acetone and sandpaper to get the limbs down to the original base. Again, be very delicate here. Once all the hydrodip (camo) finish is gone put the metal parts in a tub filled with "Greased Lightning" This will take a couple hours and you have to stir it around to reactivate it, but it will get most of the anodized finish off the bow. Then take 220 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the aluminum. Just rough it up so the paint will stick to it.
Next spray light coats of the Self Etching Primer onto the things you are going to paint or dip. If you are going to paint it I would use 2 good coats and a light follow up coat. Then Paint. After it is completely dried spray a very light coat of clear coat polyurethane over it. Do not clear coat the things you are having dipped.
I have a MR6 at Rahoffer right now getting dipped in UA Barren and this is the procedure I used on it. I will post pics when it is done. Should hopefully be here by Saturday.
Rahoffer can also replace most original graphics back onto the limbs for you when he is done.
I have had several bows done and they are by far the best to work with. www.rahoffer.com

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Here is a set of stabilizers I stripped and repainted to match the Stone finish on my Halon 6.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
This is my oldest daughters MR6 w/SDX cams hybrid I just had re-finished.
Under Armour Barren camo. Turned out great. Prepping everything properly before sending it to Rahoffer makes a big difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts