Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of repeinting my bow, I have a few questions and though i post it here ans see if anyone could help.

I am thinking of sending the riser though a powder coat and want to take the camo off first. Has anyone tried EZOFF that stove cleaner to take the finish off the riser?

do I have to take the finish off the limbs before I paint them? Do I have to prime and paint? what kind of paint?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
8,158 Posts
painting

I've never tried oven cleaner, the most effective way is to have it media blasted. You could try the stripping route and if that doesn't work do the media blast or sand it off. The limbs cannot be powdercoated, I don't know whether you were implying that you were going to do this. The temp will ruin them. They can be painted but you don't want a hight build paint with clearcoat and all. If your talking low gloss black that is the easiest. Use a flexible trim black color usually tremco or smc brand. An autobody supply store is the best place to get this, it's about 7 or $8 a can and will flex with the limbs, shouldn't need to use a primer. Just lightly sand the limbs with about 500 grit wet/dry paper. If you use a color then clear the limbs might crack the paint off with all the motion and vibration.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Don't do it.

EZoff will pit aluminum- a major disaster! :pukey:

CBMac

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
I powdercoat bows all the time, and use a product called ZEP-OFF to remove existing powdercoat, film dip, and paint. It just melts the stuff off. For any areas that the Zep-Off wont reach, I put the riser in my blasting cabinet and remove the remainder.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts