Archery Talk Forum banner

panic

429 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  G20
Hi archers.I want to ask you a question.I have a problem when i'm hunting with my bow(hoyt vectrix).When i'm shooting at my target i have no problem with my accuracy but when i'm hunting i can't hit my target and it's driving me crazy.I'm shooting bows frot 3 years now and i have been hunting from 2.I've kiled 7 animals since then but a'm having misses tho.This week i've had 3 misses on 3 different animals(roe deers).I think it's some kind of target panic.What do you think.:smile:
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
10,618 Posts
Yep

I think you are experiencing a form of target panic :eek: Remember, targets don't move, but animals sometimes do. Without knowing exactly what you're doing, my guess would be that you are hurrying your shot to get it off because you're afraid the animal you are about to fling an arrow at will move and you will miss your opportunity. Face it - That WILL happen from time to time. However, if you take your time, pick a small spot on the kill zone, practice a good release technique, and follow through with your shot you will find that your successes will improve drastically. We all owe it to the animals we hunt to make a clean, quick, and humane kill. Hurrying your shot process deminishes your chances of doing this.
I suggest you google Randy Ulmer on this subject as he has written some very good articles of your exact situation. Hope this helps. Good luck and good hunting :thumbs_up

· aka "5 Spot"
9,767 Posts
I suspect that the targets you're shooting are at a well known distance. Can you say the same for your "hunting targets"? Maybe a good range finder would be in order. :teeth:

· Registered
1,064 Posts
This is very common and affects everyone to a certain degree. Anyone can shoot targets when shooting in a controlled environment where you simply repeat the shot until you get it right. When you are in the field you don't have the opportunity to practice the shot over and over and any variance in your stance, angle of shot or elevation will cause changes in torque and/or eye position you may not see.

The best advice I can give is to practice shooting from different angles, foot positions and elevation. If you can't get better doing this and are still not satisfied try the Anchor Sight. If that doesn't help you can send it back for a refund. US. sales only.

· Registered
1,517 Posts
What type of missing are you getting? I've seen some of my fellow archers do this from a bad case of buck fever, while others problems are because they don't practice with their hunting gear on and their form has changed (mostly their power triangle opens up and their shots are all left).

· Registered
4,220 Posts
Do you think it's a nerve problem or could it be from misjudging distance?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.