Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent the whole evening paper tuning my bow. I am about to go crazy as I have been about 2 to 3 days now even up till 3:eek:o am last night working on this bow and reading all I can about tuning. I have no real pro shops around as I live in a rural area. I got a right hand tear all evening no matter what direction I moved the rest! Just about all of the tears were 3/4" inch right. I did get one bullet hole. I was shooting a Parker Hunter Mag at 64 lbs. and a 29 inch draw length. Arrows are Beman ICS 400's at 28 1/2". I turned the bow up just half turn on each limb and the tears stayed consistent. That did happen to be the time that I got the one bullet hole though. I am also shooting 100 grain tips and using a release. I thought that information could greatly help. Anybody have any answers? Please help.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
How tight are the nocks on the string? I have seen some set-ups where we tried everything and could not get a decent tear. We noticed the nocks were pretty tight so I filed one out so it was a light press fit. We were able to get the bow tuned then. Hope this helps you.

·
washed up wannabe
12,236 Posts
Check your draw length. When it's too long you often torque the bow. I went from right tears to bullet holes just be shortening the draw length by 1/2". Frankly, paper tuning is as much a picture of how well you shoot the bow as it is how well the bow shoots.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You can not have any bow hand torque.
I found that out.
Bow hand and arm must be relaxed.
Hope this helps.

·
X's R Us
3,458 Posts
Try raising the nocking point. Are you shooting a release or fingers? Since moving the rest shows no change in tear. Make sure you aren't getting vane contact or inducing torque. My feeling is a vane or vanes are hitting the rest. The tears are consistent so your shooting must be ok.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ditto on what Ian said. Bow torque would have to be consistent from shot to shot in order for the tears to remain the same. You didn't state what kiind of rest you are using.... change whatever it is to a Trophy Taker and make your life easy (yea, I'm a little biased by stuff that works)

·
Registered
134 Posts
BULLET HOLES

Whitey,
My experience has been, when you get the same tare no matter which way you move the rest, the problem is usually the torque.
Not everyone can paper tune a bow. Your form must be good and you must be able to repeat that good form shot to shot. My best guess is that you are anticipating the shot. Especially if you have been at it continually for hours. Let someone else shot your bow and see if they get the same tare as you.

What make of bow are you shooting, which release, and what rest are you using? With an arrow on the string, you should be able to hold the bow at arms length such that the string splits the center of the riser in the area of the limb bolts. While holding that position. the tip of the arrow should be slightly left of center of the string if you are a right handed shooter. This is a good starting point for center shot if you don't have a centering device. Next hold the bow so that you are looking into the Burger buton hole, the window side of the bow. The arrow shaft should be parallel with the cable guard, or the tip of the arrow pointing down slightly. This is a good starting nock point. Next make sure you have no clearance problems.

Are you shooting off a loop or off the string? The release itself can be causing you a lot of grief. You may need an eliminator button between your release and the nock, or your release might be touching the aft portion of the nock, causing problems.

Hope this helps! If it doesn't, give me a PM

Good Luck

contractpelot

·
Registered
16,232 Posts
Just a thought on Paper tuning. It's often over-rated. I've had some bows that wouldn't shoot bullet holes but will drive tacks at 50 yds. However, never seen that out of parkers and we sell a bunch of them. I would definitely try relaxing your grip, shorten your draw 1/2", and shoot a string loop. At full draw, your bow arm should be ever-so-slightly bent, don't lock the elbow. Maybe go to a stiffer arrow or a slightly lighter point. I know it's frustrating but hang in there. My thought is still to shoot some at 40 and see how she does. You might be surprised.

Good luck.;)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Bow tuning

I am also having trouble tuning a new bow. It is a Pearson Freedom Pro. 30" draw, 70 # Muxxy Zero fall away, 5575 Gold Tips, Helical 4" vanes (also tried Turbo Nocks) release, D-loop, 28 " arrow 100 grain tips. total arrow weight 400gr.

My Draw Length is 30.5" but I shoot 30" to relax my bow arm.

My problem is that I get tight groups at 15 & 20 Yards but as soon as I get to 30 yds I can't group. I was planning to hunt with this package but until I get the targets to group I can't set up for braodheads. I did cut 2 arrows to 26.5 " since the Muzzy acts like and over draw and this would have increased the spline but the arrows didn't group any better at 30 yards.

Any ideas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts