Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i shoot 1-3 feet away i have a perfect hole but when i move back to 6-9 feet away i have a pretty bad right tear(about 1 1/2 inch tear)i shoot fobs so it is the bare shaft passing through the paper.i shoot approx.60 lbs. and my arrows are carbon tech cheetah 45/70 cut at 28 1/4 inches.i use a 75 grain field point(actually weighs closer to 80 grains)with fob on i really don't notice a big problem with arrow flight.should i change my setup a little or not worry about it?

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I paper tune with bare shafts and I'm not happy until I get bullet holes out to 10 yards or more . . . but it is very hard to do so I am rarely happy, usually frustrated

bare shaft paper tuning is super-critical, and be ware that it is just as sensitive to your form (grip torque, etc.) as it is to bow adjustments

(actually any form of tuning is like this, it just shows up more with bare shaft paper tuning -- you need to tune your form along with the bow)

for best results you should replace the weight of the mising FOB with some tape to reproduce weight and balance of the real arrow -- I use lead tape that is sold for weighting fishing lures

·
Registered
5,466 Posts
Someone can correct me here,

But wouldn't the tear change based on the distance you are form the paper?

The shaft is flexing as it leaves the bow.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I paper tune with bare shafts and I'm not happy until I get bullet holes out to 10 yards or more . . . but it is very hard to do so I am rarely happy, usually frustrated

bare shaft paper tuning is super-critical, and be ware that it is just as sensitive to your form (grip torque, etc.) as it is to bow adjustments

(actually any form of tuning is like this, it just shows up more with bare shaft paper tuning -- you need to tune your form along with the bow)

for best results you should replace the weight of the mising FOB with some tape to reproduce weight and balance of the real arrow -- I use lead tape that is sold for weighting fishing lures
i was wondering about replacing the weight.i'll try that.

·
Registered
901 Posts
your arrow might be on the stiff side.i can shoot bare shaft from 6' and do nothing but twist arrow noc and go from 3/4'' tear to bullet hole and back again, that’s how I tune my arrows to noc for fletching

·
Registered
632 Posts
Yes you are as it flys out of your bow is flexing. So at some distance a badly tune bow can punch perfect hole.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
yes there is some flex, but unless the arrows are very weak on the spine the flex is not nearly that much, and it's pretty much done by the time the arrow gets a yard or two from the bow -- check out some of the high speed videos that are floating around

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes there is some flex, but unless the arrows are very weak on the spine the flex is not nearly that much, and it's pretty much done by the time the arrow gets a yard or two from the bow -- check out some of the high speed videos that are floating around
so should i paper tune from about 5 yards back and be satisfied when there is a bullet hole?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts