Archery Talk Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
First, at least two arrows and more is desirable. Select arrows for weight, spine, but allowing weight difference between bare shaft and fletched. Second, target/paper to be at shoulder height. 3rd, shoot from different distances - 6 feet is close, but after getting a bullet hole step back 2 feet and shoot again. Got bullet hole, step back again 2 or 4 more feet. Getting a bullet hole from 6 to 12 feet you're going good. Good enough to go with other tuning methods.

Read right to left. Good for center throughout. Nock low to start, adjusted, nock high, adjusted, bullet hole.

View attachment 7435559

Went outside - bare shaft and fletched arrows clashing/slapping badly I went with one bare shaft to start. 20 yards is 3rd set of doubles.......

View attachment 7435565

Center shot was set using nuts&bolts "trick." Arrow taped or rubber banded to inside of riser. Rest moved to have nocked arrow run parallel to taped/rubber banded arrow on rise.

Picture is that of nuts&bolts'

View attachment 7435568

Bow being tuned was timed within .002". Nocking point was set to 1/16" high. All pictures are 10/12-15/2020. Bow still shoots great to date........This particular bow proved horrible when set to factory spec of 13/16".
Sonny why would anyone try tuning through paper at anything over 3-7 yards? Isn't the point to check for a straight & true launch off the bow? What would you see at 20 that you won't see at 3-10 yard mark? Honest question, as I've seen that quite a bit over the years and it just doesn't make sense to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Back Yard Champion
30,721 Posts
Sonny why would anyone try tuning through paper at anything over 3-7 yards? Isn't the point to check for a straight & true launch off the bow? What would you see at 20 that you won't see at 3-10 yard mark? Honest question, as I've seen that quite a bit over the years and it just doesn't make sense to me?
1st question; I don't know.
2nd question; Yes.
3rd question; 20 yards. I don't know of anyone that paper tunes at 20 yards. But, I know some who shoot bare shafts great from 20 yards. The thing is, it isn't just a well tuned bow. The shooter has to be up to it.....

ontarget7 shot this. He the man....

asset20-2.jpg

Reactions: MIKEY CUSTOM-G

·
Mark
5,913 Posts

With bare shaft shooting at 20 yards the tear will be larger so easier to see nock direction to adjust. I start close and once tear is close move back further, although 13 yards is my max basement distance and good enough. with Fletching need to shoot close as fletching will straighten the arrow as it travels.

41 - 43 of 43 Posts