Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some one tell me how to paper tune a bow .i took it to a dealer and he shot it at maybe 2 ft away and said it had a bullet hole .but when i got it home i shot it at 20 yd. it looked like it was twirling at the vanes and not hiting the target .stright if some one can help please do and thank you

·
Registered
9,509 Posts
Paper tuning!!!

First you need a paper tuner, I made one out of a real estate sign I got from home depot, I'd show ya picture's but my duaghter broke my wife $1,000.00 canon digital camera :angry: so I'll try to explain how I built it. The frame is made out of metal, but it had a piece running threw the middle that I had to cut out, took some pvc piping and made a bass for it, it kind of looks like a football goal upright, ounce you have something to shoot your bow threw paper, you stand out 6-10 feet from the paper, and then you see how it's shooting, and then make the necessary adjustment's.
I'd love to show off my paper tuner, maybe I can get ffighter90 over here to take a picture in a couple of days.Hopefully I haven't confused ya :cocktail:

·
Registered
50 Posts
paper tuner

I made one out of pvc pipe,1". I made a square but instead of using 90's at the bottom, I used tee's and came out the bottom with what ever length legs I wanted, I think mine are 6", and put a tee on each one of thoseso I could put horizontal stabilizer legs on. I used duct tape at first and taped the paper tight all the way around but that became a pain, so I got 1" conduit clamps and clamped 2 x 4's around the edges and use a stapler now. I'm sure your totally confused by now so I'll try to get the better half to take some pics of it later and I'll post them.

·
Registered
427 Posts
You can make one out of a cardboard box also. Get a large intact box, cut the top off of it and then cut a 8x11" hole in the bottom. You can then tape a piece of computer paper over the hole and set it on top of something so you are shooting level through the paper and into the target from about 6-8 feet away.

**Most important is that YOU papertune the bow yourself not the dealer. Someone else cant papertune your bow because not everyone anchors and releases the same. Let me know if you need any help. When you look at the paper you will be able to see where the arrow point vs arrow tip hits and adjust your rest accordingly. You should be able to adjust the arrow by just moving your rest, but you may have to move the height if your nock set. Also remember that not everyone can shoot a perfect bullet hole..

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Chevy

Paper tuning is only a place to start. Check out the thread on here of "walk back tuning done right". You will find a lot of useful information on tuning your bow. Also down load the Easton tuning guide print it out and place it in a binder of some kind for reference. Most minor tuning you can do yourself to get and keep your bow shooting well. If I read your post correct you said your vanes were spinning, they're supposed to to correct the flight of your arrow. Now as far as it hitting right or your spot that is where the tuning guide and the walk back tuning thread will help. if you ever get to a point where nothing works put the bow down and let it rest it could be you on that day and get on AT and ask a question and you are sure to get some good advise.
Good Luck
Southern Hunter

·
Registered
73 Posts
Southern Hunter,
I did a search on "walk back tuning done right" and found no threads labeled this.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Get your bow to bullet hole at 5 yards, then move back at 10 yards and shoot it. If it bullet holes at 10 yards, move back to 15 yards and repeat the process. If at any time it tears make an adjustment till it bullet holes. Repeat this process all the way out to twenty yards, if your bow bullet holes at 20 yards, go back to 5 or 10 yards and shoot it again. If your bow still bullet holes at 5 and 10 yards your done. I use this process when I am prepairing for outdoor field archery, it makes all the difference in the world when you shoot out to 80 yards.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts