Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying my luck at paper tuning for the first time. I lmow obviously since it's not a bullet hole something is going wrong somewhere.. any advice on what to do? Shooting a faktor 30 29 inch dl 60 lbs and 340 easton axis arrows. Thanks! (Ignore the very bottom tear, that was from something else.)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My picture got rotated for some reason also.. the biggest tear is supposed to be on the bottom.

·
OEF VI VET
6,681 Posts
My picture got rotated for some reason also.. the biggest tear is supposed to be on the bottom.

Ok so looks like you have a nock high and nock left. Do you have access to a press? If not start out by raising your rest or lowering your d loop until you get rid of the nock high. Do the vertical first because sometimes that gets rid of the horizontal tear. Then if you still have nock left you need to move the rest in closer to the riser (assuming youre right handed)

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not. I will lower the d loop and post another pic shortly. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Were getting there. Vertical looks good I'd say. Now what do I do to get rid of the right tear?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Need to move your rest towards your riser (RH bow). Small changes go a long way here, and make sure you still have plenty of clearance for your vanes.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are my last two after changes. Good enough or can I get better?

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you slightly raise your rest you might get a bit tighter hole, but this is getting really close. I don't know how many other do this, but as soon as I paper tune the bow I always go and do a modified french tune to ensure that the sights and rest are perfect. Moving your rest in the french tune will affect your tear slightly, but I don't look at the paper tune after I get the french tune done. Never had a problem with groups using that method.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Crazy question? Are you shooting into the cardboard box or do you have a hole in the middle?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm getting good bullet holes now my arrow looks like it's slightly higher than level. Is this ok?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
There are tons of variables to papertuning. If your cams are out of sync it can cause high or low tears. Id start by setting your rests centershot to 13/16ths from the riser shelf to the center of the arrow shaft dont move it. Also make sure that your arrow is running dead center through the berger hole on the riser. This is a good starting point, from there shot an arrow through the paper. What did ya get.........high or low tear or left or right tear... always correct your vertical tear first. That can be done 1 of 3 ways, with either moving your rest up or down, your d-loop up or down or advancing the cam sync top or bottom cam. Syncing the cams can only be done with a bow press. For horizontal tears. They can corrected by adding or subtracting twist out the yokes, aswell as moving the rest in small increments left or right to compensate for the tear. When you yoke tune keep on mind it you add one twist into one side you have to deduct one twist out off the opposite side aswell. While doing this you will start to notice that your yoke cables are starting to twist around each other while you relax the bowpress. If you untwist them it will change the sync in your cams causing vertical tears again. Granted you mention you didnt have a bow press. Just something good to know. Also you need to find out if the arrow that you are shooting is too weak or too stiff for your poundage and draw length. I have heard that alot of hoyts favor a slighly high (1/16th) nocking point aswell as the top cam drawstop contacting the cable about an 1/8th of an inch ahead of the bottom cam drawstop. This can be adjusted with a draw board. Great tool to have. The holes that you have been shooting do show improvement in the right direction but a bullethole is a bullethole and you can do alot better. It can meticulous but once your arrows are leaving perfectly straight out of your bow, theres no better feeling!!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Just throwing it out there....if you have access to a good reputable local shop they might be able to point you in the right direction as well as having the tools you will need to get the job done. I now shop labor costs can be crazy but I could be some of the best morey you will spend.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I really think this would be easier if I had a press like you said. I really don't want to spend 500 on an e z press or one like. Would a bowmaster press work for whay I'm trying to do?

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I really think this would be easier if I had a press like you said. I really don't want to spend 500 on an e z press or one like. Would a bowmaster press work for whay I'm trying to do?
you have to have the L brackets thet make......but since those limbs are past at rest I wouldnt chance it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts