Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When paper tuning, what different distances do you all prefer to use?
I bare shaft tuned at about 7 or so feet, and now that the arrows are fletched I need another yardage.
Thanks

·
Mark
6,257 Posts
From what I've read and practice is 12', then I go to 15 yards which is max in my basement. After that I switch to bare shaft and fine tune at 15 yards. works well for me.
If using fletched arrows only then closer might be better than further as fletching will improve flight as the arrow travels.
Bareshaft is better method than fletched IMO

·
Registered
9,698 Posts
Would have saved a couple bareshafts and shot groups of fletched and bareshafts at about 20yds, but if you've fetched them all any farther than you've already done with bareshafts and you're already seeing corrected flight from the fletchings, best you could really do now is shoot the fletched to see if you're getting vane contact [this is what I do in lieu of lipsticking vanes because I can't see it anyway].

·
Back Yard Champion
32,539 Posts
When paper tuning, what different distances do you all prefer to use?
I bare shaft tuned at about 7 or so feet, and now that the arrows are fletched I need another yardage.
Thanks
For bare shaft tuning through paper I use 6, 8 and 10 feet - might show kind of good at 6 and as distance increases the tear will increase.
For a fletched arrow I use 3 feet. For 3 feet the vanes haven't corrected flight. If good I use other tuning methods..........

Reactions: archeryfanatic1

·
Registered
674 Posts
heres what has worked good for me, i dont think its really any set distance just a good starting point . shoot a bare shaft thru paper at 4 or 5 feet,once you get a bullet take it out with some fletched shafts and start shooting them at 15 yards see what the arrow flight looks like and where they land to the fletched,make some little adjustments as needed you will get to where your bare and fletched are hitting right together and your bare shaft will look like a laser beam with no kick of any kind. then move to 25 yards and do same thing, when you get the same results as 15 yards your bow is tuned heck of good..this will take time to do ,take your time and enjoy tuning

·
Banned
22 Posts
3-9 feet for bareshafts thru paper, 3 for fletched. Once everything is squared up send a group with the bare shaft mixed in out to twenty (no paper) yards. Like to mix a bare shaft in every so often, keeps you honest. Ha

·
Back Yard Champion
32,539 Posts
My last bare shaft tuning.
Right to left - 6, 8, and 10 feet low nock. Center 2, 6 and 10 feet a bit high nock. Far left 2, 6 and 10 feet bullet holed.

Slope Font Tree Grass Twig

Went outside - windy as all get out. Slapped Fletched and bare shaft together, dropped fletched and used just the bare shaft for 10 and 15 yards - aim point is the hole. Used both for 20 yards. Called it good. No way to shoot farther with the wind so bad.

Product Wood Font Asphalt Tree

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
My last bare shaft tuning.
Right to left - 6, 8, and 10 feet low nock. Center 2, 6 and 10 feet a bit high nock. Far left 2, 6 and 10 feet bullet holed.

View attachment 7355388

Went outside - windy as all get out. Slapped Fletched and bare shaft together, dropped fletched and used just the bare shaft for 10 and 15 yards - aim point is the hole. Used both for 20 yards. Called it good. No way to shoot farther with the wind so bad.

View attachment 7355397
Great shooting Sonny Thomas !

·
Back Yard Champion
32,539 Posts
Great shooting Sonny Thomas !
Thank you, sir... It was a test of will power. The wind just wouldn't let up. Target bow with long stab and using a Stan Jet Black.

·
Socket Man
24,900 Posts
You kind of asked what second distance you need for fletched arrows, well you really don't need a second distance.

For example, here is how I handle my distances when bare shaft paper tuning. I start up close at 3 or so feet so I don't snap a arrow. I only bare shaft tune with one arrow and I start moving back from 3 feet to 6 then to 10 feet and then to 15 feet and then to 10 yards and then to 15 yards and then to 17 yards and when I am getting bullet holes at 17 yards or 20 yards I am done.

At this point I have perfect arrow flight with my bare shafts and there is no more tuning needed.

Why?

Because now my fletching only has one job, that job is to stabilize the perfection.

·
Socket Man
24,900 Posts
That concept right there sounds so simple but for decades little to nobody understood that concept, most tuning methods ignore arrow flight and chase a point of impact where you try and bring bare shafts together with fletched arrows.

Which is fine but when you use my method of perfect bare shaft arrow flight producing bullet holes out to 20 yards the gluing on of fletching doesn't change point of impact. My bare shafts hit dead on with my fletched arrows without any further help. So I don't have to chase my tail or point of impact.

·
Socket Man
24,900 Posts
Now, does shooting a fletched arrow through paper at 5 or so yards have a purpose? Hell yes.

It will tell you if you have fletching contact.

So, yes I do shoot a fletched arrow through paper sometimes when tuning someone elses bow. I don't do it with mine anymore because I use a hamskea hybrid pro rest and have never had a issue with fletching contact. So I take that risk.
The main thing to remember with a fletched arrow is that it will have a tighter arrow flight than your bare shaft because it is correcting arrow flight from the time it leaves the string all the way to the target. It never stops correcting or stabilizing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts