Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally taking the plunge and buying a more modern bow. Not looking for a particular brand, but info concerning the advantages and disadvantages of both types.

·
Hunter of many things
12,122 Posts
To be honest, and i dont want to be rude, but i wouldnt spend a lot of time worrying about either design. I would spend time focusing more on, ata, brace ht, draw cycle and grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think now a days just about EVERY bow company makes a great product that will do anything you want it too, now for each individual person a certain bow will do things better than another, as far as parallel vs past parallel I can’t see any pros/cons of either besides looks, best thing you can do is go to a shop and shoot as many bows as you can to see what fits/works for you the best.

Any modern bow No matter what style limb, or cam system they will all tune and shoot great. Choose what looks and feels the best to you

·
Registered
11,782 Posts
I’ve shot em all. They all have some nuances that are different. The past parallel will have less jump forward than a parallel limb bow. You may have to have special adapters for some bows that are past parallel like Hoyt’s.
But I don’t think there is a distinct difference in the two that will make one just say WOW I gotta have that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
NAASP
6,843 Posts
It's a miracle I survived a 42"ATA recurved limb bow for so many years.:rolleyes:

·
The Impartial Archer
18,288 Posts
With the bow manufacturers need some new to market, I can see the recurve limb coming back.
Maybe for target.......hunters will never take that big of a step backwards IMO.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Try shooting a buddy's bow, buy a used bow or two from the classifieds here and decide what you like. Then you can buy new. I just back into archery after about 22 years away. I've bought three used bows here in the past year. I just bought a new Triax.
I've also sold three bows on here. Archery is expensive, but search the classifieds here and get you a bow, arrows, etc and have fun.

·
Registered
9,763 Posts
I would start by answering the questions "who will be working on this bow?" New? Warranty important to you? If you don't have a press/tools (you have a lot more leeway if you have tools), you might need to get a brand that is supported by your local shop? I would them go shoot every bow that I could where you shop. There are a lot of factors in deciding which bow to buy, new/used is a very important decision, if primarily hunting or a short draw you might want to go shorter ATA and a speedier bow which tend to be over sprung. If it will me a multipurpose (hunting/target/3D) bow you might want to go longer ATA then it matters less IMO. Look at the PSE Evolve 35, it is a more conventional design and everybody is GA-GA over, this bow is all about the Evolve cam design. I am more into accuracy and the Prime Centergy Hybrid is my favorite this year. (I have a 31 3/8" draw and that effects my decisions) I like the balance and hold of the Centergy Hybrid.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts