Archery Talk Forum banner

Parallel vs standard limbs

963 Views 4 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  Limey
which are more accurate? is there a difference? I am starting to shop for a new bow (shooting an 04? ultratec now). leaning toward staying with hoyt, but haven't ruled anything out .

all opinions welcomed
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Premium Member
8,895 Posts
If you look at the IBO rating, you can see that there's not a huge improvement in performance with the parallel limbs, relative to bows even 5 years older.

That said, there is less felt recoil because the limbs are recovering in a different plane than the more traditional limb mounting. They tend to cancel each other out.

Accuracy wise, you will find your Ultratec hard to beat, except for maybe a Protec, or Elite. Accuracy is more a matter of proper tuning and careful shaft selection.

There is no dirt on either design, and probably no big advantage either.

· Registered
19,079 Posts
For pure accuracy and steady hold it is hard to beat a bow with non-paralell limbs. They will generally have a little more jump, and noise on the shot but for pure holding power on the target they are tough to beat. Most top target shooters go this route for that reason.

· Registered
1,356 Posts
I have both, as I have a couple of Bowtech Constitutions (05 and 08) a Ross CR337, a PSE Mojo (hybrid cams) and a CSS System 41 (single cam).

Although it has 60 lbs limbs the CSS is slower, but it is smooth and is very accurate with little in the way of hand shock or vibration. The Mojo is about 30 fps faster with the same arrows and poundage and just as accurate, but due to the speed of the cams there is a destinct and felt jump forward when the shot is released. I do not grab the bow and I do use a bow sling, but the jump forward is still felt and has an effect on the shoulder of my bow holding arm.

The reason I bought the first Bowtech was because I was so impressed with the mechanical system, it is fast, accurate and the felt hand shock and vibration is very small in comparison to a more conventional bow (I have had many of them). The 08 Connie is better still and the Ross is very smooth although follow through must be maintained (might be a single cam thing, don't know).

In summary then, for a forgiving shot a conventional bow, single or twin is good, but better at slightly lower velocities as there seems to be quite a bit of forward hand shock when you try to chase the speed bows. A more parallel limb is throwing those forces up and down and so you can have the speed and accuracy without the hand shock, BUT, with greater forces acting on the limbs themselves.

Just my 2 bob (cents)

· Registered
5,563 Posts
which are more accurate? ...all opinions welcomed
Well horses for courses it seems to me.

Plenty of top target archers prefer traditional limb anlges but Chris White has shot FITA world records with a Switchback and still shoots one for FITA field but I think he shot an Apex last year for Vegas.

Shoot the bow that feels best is my advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.