Archery Talk Forum banner

Parker Cyclone/Hurricane vs Tornado

8294 Views 32 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Iron Duke
I cannot make my mind up between these two. I like the speed and shotgun grip of the cyclone/hurricane.

But everything I hear about the hurricane is positive. Everyone says it's compact but the specs looks the same as the others.

Anybody have any hands on with these bows?

The only place I used to be able to buy Parkers has closed so I am gonna order online this year.

Problem is I cannot play with them and make my mind up.

I need all the help I can get.

Any Comments?
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
28,354 Posts
I plan on ordering the tornado. A guy at parker recommended it over the cyclone or hurricane. Said it was quieter and you still have 330fps. My dealer held the tornado, didn't shoo it, and said he was quit impressed with it. I've not shot any of them I'm just saying what I'll be ordering. But like you said, everyone says it's compact but specs show the same on the web site. I'll know when it gets here.

· Incureable tinkerer
4,263 Posts
I shoot a Cyclone. Both fast and quiet. It it's a lot of bow for the $, relatively high strung, no leeway for someone who is careless about their gear or how they use it. It holds back 165 to 175 lbs., depending on what you read, and generates an honest 355 fps with 430 grn arrow. Have not shot the Tornado but don't tdoubt that's it's pretty much the same bow with a slightly shorter stroke due to bullpup stock.
Looks cool. Neither is a 'starter bow' IMO, and will need support to change strings cables unless you are VERY handy. Parker is a great co to work with, BTW.

· Registered
284 Posts
My vote...

I cast my vote for the Tornado
I handled both at the ATA Show last January

The Tornado is more compact , it is sweet to handle
It has enough punch to get even largest game.... to me a winner

Its dimensions may be a bonus in confined spaces (threestand, blind etc)

just my opinion then...

Mirko

· Registered
893 Posts
After Shooting the Tornado at the ATA show,and talking to others about this Bow,I think most people would agree ,nice Crossbow.

· Registered
1,143 Posts
I actually have both, the Cyclone and Tornado. When I first handled the Tornado, I knew I had to have one. The Cyclone is a great shooting, and super fast bow. Mine shoots 420 grain arrows at 354 fps, and is accurate as can be. My Tornado shoots 413 grain arrows at 332 fps, and I literally have to shoot at different spots when practising, because I have already ruined a few Redhots with this bow. My 14 year old called a robinhood with the Tornado last week, it is that accurate. Absolutely awesome bow, the fit, finish, feel, accuracy, speed, and looks, are very hard to beat.

You will not be sorry with either one, but my vote definitely goes to the Tornado.

Rob

· Registered
12 Posts
I've spent the past 30 minutes at the Parker website looking at the specs of the Tornado at 165# (330 fps and 100 ft. lbs. kenetic energy) in comparison to my Parker Buck Buster at 150#(315 fps and 85 ft. lbs. kenetic energy) with a 425 grain arrow. While I need very little justification to get another crossbow, from a practical standpoint, how much difference in arrow drop at 30 and 40 yards does this difference make?

Thanks, Tom

· Registered
1,282 Posts
The Tornado will drop 1/2" less at 30 yds and 1 1/4" less at 40 yds. You can get the BB to shoot 330 fps if you want to, not that hard. Buy the Tornado, it's always good to have a back up for those times when shi_ happens!

· Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a 2009 Parker Hurricane and my dad got the 2009 parker tornado.Accuracy is excellent on both of them.The Hurricane is a bit harder to cock,but has a much better trigger.The Tornado is lighter and more manueverable.Now that I have had the opportunity to shoot both,I am glad that I bought the Hurricane due to the better trigger.

· Registered
7 Posts
parker xbows

reading the parker specs I kinda thought they both had the same trigger mech......shot my bro's hurrincane and that has a excellent trigger..I personelly went with the cyclone cause I got it for the same price as the hurricane..:darkbeer::darkbeer::darkbeer: thas sthuff isa goooooooood hickup

G

·
They actually do have the same trigger mech. but the difference is in the linkage from trigger itself back to the trigger body. This has alittle play in it due to more connection points.

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
"This has alittle play in it due to more connection points. "

Actually it has a LOT of play in it and because the connection bar is set too close to the pivot point on the trigger all of the mechanical advantage of the original Parker trigger design is negated so the pull is a LOT heavier than it could be if the linkage was mounted lower on the trigger bar. The slop I can atribute to a loose fit to make production easier, but the lack of leverage is a design issue. Some of it is a very easy fix within the trigger mechanism itself that Parker refuses to listen to me about and the rest could be done with an adjustable link bar set at a lower point on the trigger...The Tornado IMO is a great bow and in many respects I think it is better than the Cyclone...but the trigger stinks...

Wyvern

G

·
"This has alittle play in it due to more connection points. "

Actually it has a LOT of play in it and because the connection bar is set too close to the pivot point on the trigger all of the mechanical advantage of the original Parker trigger design is negated so the pull is a LOT heavier than it could be if the linkage was mounted lower on the trigger bar. The slop I can atribute to a loose fit to make production easier, but the lack of leverage is a design issue. Some of it is a very easy fix within the trigger mechanism itself that Parker refuses to listen to me about and the rest could be done with an adjustable link bar set at a lower point on the trigger...The Tornado IMO is a great bow and in many respects I think it is better than the Cyclone...but the trigger stinks...

Wyvern
I pointed out the potential problem on the proto type and gave them an easy in house fix, they are aware of the issue but it hasn't turned into a sales problem as of yet, when I was at the plant they had an order of 800 going to Quebec. Surprising is that many don't even notice it after a few shots. I expect the issue to be adressed when they get caught up and ramp up for the 2010 year, but remember that your dealing with engineers and they don't like to shown a better way by "non" engineers they seem to need to discover the fix on their own.

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
They need to get a grip...admit that this trigger is WAY too heavy and they built it wrong and fix it....I have no sympathy for the engineers here...speed, accuracy, even noise levels have all been worked on, but triggers are still no better in most instances than they were 700 years ago and my medieval bow has a lighter pull than this bow does...there is somethign wrong with that and it should have been addressed before it went into production since it is such a simple fix...That or they need to calm down about letting peopel go in and fix what they did wrong...

OH...and hate to tell you...peopel ARE complaining and I just spent part of yesterday fixing one on a Tornado that pulled 7lbs 4 oz from the factory and I got it down to 4 lbs 1.6 oz and eliminated a bunch of the slop. Every Tornado I have tested is over 7lbs!! The DS was not that bad

Wyvern

G

·
They need to get a grip...admit that this trigger is WAY too heavy and they built it wrong and fix it....I have no sympathy for the engineers here...speed, accuracy, even noise levels have all been worked on, but triggers are still no better in most instances than they were 700 years ago and my medieval bow has a lighter pull than this bow does...there is somethign wrong with that and it should have been addressed before it went into production since it is such a simple fix...That or they need to calm down about letting peopel go in and fix what they did wrong...

OH...and hate to tell you...peopel ARE complaining and I just spent part of yesterday fixing one on a Tornado that pulled 7lbs 4 oz from the factory and I got it down to 4 lbs 1.6 oz and eliminated a bunch of the slop. Every Tornado I have tested is over 7lbs!! The DS was not that bad

Wyvern

I certainly agree that triggers can be much better but with the auto saftey and anti dryfire systems they alone create design problems that most lead to a single sear system like we have today. A double sear system would solve all trigger weight problems but to have them also incorporate an auto safety and antidryfire will make it complex and costly, so many just file the sears down alittle.

I did try to get Parker to authorize certain dealers on how to fix the leverage issue on the Tornado if needed but were uneasy with the idea.

I must say that I haven't heard or seen of any reaching the 7lb mark yet but that certainly is really high, I can only imagine what it would be with a recurve set up. The highest I have seen was just under 6lbs but that is to high for most aswell.

I have 4 trigger designs that would solve most if not all issues but so far they would add alot to the base cost. The easiest design I have used uses a simple set screw and longer sears giving the dealer/customer a variable system but that to brought liability issues. So until the manufacturers take the plung the road to a "match grade" trigger will be slow

· Vendor
5,699 Posts
Ive checked 4 so far...the lightest was just at 7lbs. I agree a double sear would cure the problem, but the singe sear is not "bad" by any stretch. The main issue here is the lack of leverage the bulpup trigger has over their original trigger. The down side of this lack of leverage is not only an increase in the weight of the trigger, but the creep since it takes alot of motion at the trigger to move anything at the sear. A set screw will take up some of the slack, but not eliminate the poundage issue which is due to too tight a spring internaly on the mechanism. It works fine on the original trigger location but not with this bulpup. If they moved the arm down towards the trigger end it would give alot more leverage and eliminate some of the weight. It is anoying because besides the trigger this is one of the nicers bows out for 09. I would not have minded the dealer modification deal (though it is time consuming) but most manufacturers will allow you to do just about anything to a crossbow but mess with the triggers. Funny, you can take a gun to any gunsmith and have your trigger modified no problem...crossbow companies are all twitchy about that. Heck, even release manufacuters have adjustable triggers on many models...:confused:
Wyvern

· Registered
922 Posts
Gunsmiths aren't as comfortable as they use to be with trigger adjustments. Like most people, they are more conscious of liability issues than in the past. Speaking of firearms, Savage has gained quite a following with their owner adjustable "Accu trigger" system. Just goes to show that good triggers are important to shooters everywhere. Despite Tenpoint's reputation for quality, I would not consider the previous generation TL7 simply because of the heavy (6 lb) trigger. I have got to believe this will dissuade many potential buyers of the Tornado.

· Incureable tinkerer
4,263 Posts
Well, this is good info. guys. Been toying with the idea of "upgrading" my Cyclone with a Tornado. No longer. I got my Cyclone trigger where I want it: very close to 3 lbs and little creep. It took some judicious stoning as well as spring changing on my part but it's there.
All of my firearm triggers are at or below 3 lbs, if not they don't stay. Simply cannot tolerate a poor trigger!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.