Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Haven't made my way over to this forum before, as I usually just talk rifles and pistols. Anyways, I am ready to get into bow hunting and am a novice with a bow that this point. Talked to a gentleman at cabelas about my options, he said he would go with the Parker Phoenix package, which comes set up with everything you need to shoot including 4 or 5 carbons and field points for 699.99 (I found it for a bit cheaper on eBay, but figure the lessons and tips I get from the bow shop justify the higher price). Looks like a real nice bow, wondering if any of you have personal or second hand experience with it before I go in there and buy it? Also, any tips for a beginner?

Thanks ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
btt

·
Registered
921 Posts
kick ass bow...test shoot it maybe try a few others see how they shoot then make your decision. when i bought mine i shot mathews, hoyt and pse. i loved how the parker felt and it was wayyyyyyyyyyyy more quieter than the others...but like i said try the others get what feels good to you, just dont get caught in the mathews hoyt hoopla.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Parker is a great bow. You may even find a used one here in the classifieds. You cannot go wrong with it. Mathews, Hoy and bowtech are all great, but the Parker will make you just as happy and you didn't drop 1200 on the package.

·
Registered
777 Posts
But it doesn't come with a free hat! :wink:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
If you get a chance, check out some used ones and look closely at the cable where the draw module rolls over. There have been some problems. I know this from my own personal experience.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I had the phoenix it is too slow and has too much handshock for that price, so I sold it on ebay and bought v.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I bought the Parker Phoenix EZ Draw package this spring. Paid the MSRP of $720 plus tax. Could have saved $20 at Dick's but felt more comfortable with a dealer. Love the bow !

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
What they said! Too stiff a draw and not a good or long enough valley for me! I dont want a bow that tries to take the string away from me if I flinch...I would look at the Bowtech or Darton if you have a Mcpherson or Pearson dealer I'd also look at them!
I just bought an Old Glory Bowtech and I cant quit grinning! It is smoooth!

·
Registered
239 Posts
no trades

I shoot the 31 ultra lite and wouldn"t trade it for a bowteck or a mathews. my brother shoots both so i have tried both. I gues thats what happens when you get old and choooosey try some and get something that feels good that means more than the name (Tom,Dick or Marry)

·
Registered
168 Posts
You can get a danged fine bow package for half that price. That's more than I paid for my trap gun! :eek:

Why not start small and see if bowhunting is for you? You can then move up to a more expensive bow if you want to and keep your first bow as a backup in case something goes wrong on the new one. Most shots I've taken are 20 yards or less and I can't think of a modern compound bow that won't put an arrow right through the deer with great accuracy at that range or even longer, so I guess if you plan on using it for hunting, I'd steer clear of the more expensive bows. They are just as dead with a $300 bow as a $700+ bow.

It ain't the arrow, it's the Indian.

My other bow is a Fred Bear Grizzly (recurve) slingin' arrows at the blazing speed of 158 fps and even it shoots straight through when I do my part. Expensive isn't necessary for hunting.

·
Hunt By Faith Not By Site
6,450 Posts
Excellent bow and I didn't have any hand shock and it is one of the quietest bows I've ever shot. I found the draw to be very smooth and Parker Redesigned the module so it shouldn't be hard on the string and cable.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
parkerbows said:
I can't believe someone would think they are hard to draw 70lbs on that bow seems like 50 to me

Agree Nice draw..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts