Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What does everyone think of the Parker Sidekick xp. I am a new shooter, I am waiting on my bow. My husband got it for me for christmas, I have NEVER shot a bow before, this will be my first time. Just wondering what you all think about this bow?

Thanks

Heather

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
honestly, for the price they are hard to beat. I bought a parker spitfire back in march, and it preforms just as well as the $700 bows, just may be a little on the loud side. A couple of limbsavers later, i shot a 9 point. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Since its made by Parker it's gotta be good. Usually when you put a tubeless peep sight on it makes the bow louder and buzz for some reason, but if you get a string stopper it really pulls the bow together for a great shot. Either way its great for a woman shooter.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My wife shoots the Sidekick XP. Hers is the std Next G-1 camo, 40# RH, 25" DL, Whisker Biscuit, and Beman ICS Hunters. She really loves it. I must say this bow has a pretty smooth draw. I will post a couple of observations she made.

1) The grip had to go. Very floppy, too soft. Allows for too much lateral cycling of the bow during launch. Really showed in her grouping at first. She bought a couple of rolls of Limbsaver Tentacle Wrap and removed Parker grip all together. Then, wrapped with the tentacle wrap (pretty tight) and ta da!

2) Don't think the factory string fibers are of great quality. Seems like she is getting string creep already and she hasn't had this one that long. Her peep is twisting on draw pretty bad. However, we are replacing stings and cables on both our bows soon anyway.

Conclusion: After grip mod, she shoots this thing like a champ. She thinks it's a very nice little bow for the money and shoots it 4-5 nights a week. At least that's what she tells me she's doing. :wink: She joined AT but just started a new job and hasn't had much time to relax yet. I'm sure she'll get on here soon. She goes by Bow-Peep.

Anyway, good luck to ya and I think you'll have a lot of fun with this bow. :darkbeer:

·
Registered
15 Posts
love mine

I've had a Sidekick for a little over a year now. I actually bought it in the AT classifieds. Some observations:

1. If you are the original owner, the Grow Up with Parker program is awesome. When I bought my bow it had the 20-30lb limbs on it, not ideal for me but for the price I couldn't pass it up. For a small fee, I shipped the bow to Parker in VA, they changed the limbs out and I had my bow back in less than a week. Can't beat that.

2. Smooth draw. This was my second bow. THe first was a hand me down PSE that I didn't really care for, DL was a little long and the draw weight was heavy. I probably would've gotten out of archery had I not been so pleased with my Sidekick.

3. Highly adjustable DL and DW. You can adjust your draw length and weight without a press, makes fitting it to your specs much easier.

4. I am a lone shooter. I don't know anybody else that bow hunts or shoots, so most of my info I got from AT. THe Sidekick setup is super easy to adjust and dial in, which was awesome for me, b/c I was basically on my own. Shooting great groups out to 40yds.

5. It is noisy, as stated above. But I put solid limb Limbsavers and Limbsaver S-coil on mine, and I pretty happy with how quiet it is now.

I think you'll be happy with this bow as your first bow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts