Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was thinking of buying a Parker Extreme Hunter and wanted opinions on this bow. It really wouldnt be my first choice except for two reasons.
1.) I'm going to buy from Cabelas so I can get a $150 gift card in return for my purchase.
2.) I'ts the only bow they have in my draw length (32").

It seems like alot of money ($430) for a simple design, ie. no built in noise dampeners etc.

Are these good, quiet, forgiving bows?

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought an Extreme Hunter Mag about 2 weeks ago. Been shooting it everyday and I love it. I did my research before buying my first bow, and I have to say, I am pleased with my decision.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a Parker Hunter Mag 3 years ago as my first bow and have not had any problems whatsoever. Not a top of the line bow but is has put 4 deer in the freezer in the last 2 years!

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,333 Posts
It's a fine bow and and a great company. If the Phoenix line will fit you, you may find a more "shock free" bow. You'll get the vib. dampeners and the more parallel limbs.
I had a Hunter Mag (99 modle) and the bow will shoot very accurately.
Since you have such a long draw length:jaw: you can get by with a much heavier arrow and still get great speed and have a quiet and relatively shock free bow.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like I'll probly get the Parker. Now I have to decide on the Extreme or regular Hunter Mag. Extreme's lighter and a little faster but 2" shorter and $50 more. I'm thinking that a little longer ATA would be more forgiving and easier to align the peep. Is 2" that much difference though?

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,333 Posts
With your draw length I would def. go with the longer ATA bow!!
With the none laid back (parallel) limbs on these bows I'd say the extra 2" will make a difference in the forgiveness. You probably won't notice the extra lenght that 2" adds to your bow (visually/functionally in a stand) notice, but it will make it more forgiving.
Are the braceheights the same. What are the specks?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I saw a guy in the pro shop shooting a Parker. It might have been a Phoenix. It was quiet enough and fast enough. I think Parkers are a good bow.

Let us know how it turns out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hunter Mag Extreme specs: 35" ATA, 7.5" BH, 3.2 #'s, IBO 307

Hunter Mag specs: 37" ATA, 7.0" BH, 3.6#'s, IBO 302

Now that I see em' on paper I think I'll go with the Extreme. The longer BH should make up for the loss in ATA with forgiveness and you get the benefit of speed, weight and maneuverability.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,333 Posts
Just remember with that draw length your might have harder time getting the peep back to you. The string angle will be steeper. Shoot them both to see how you like them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts