Registered
5,634 Posts
Josh Michaelis said:
Maybe him if I let him go another year :wink:
there is a lot of truth to that statement

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Must be nice to have the luxury to pass on a buck like that. I'm all for passing on young deer and I do my best, but around here that's a HAWG.

·
Team #28
5,828 Posts
I would let him pass....just a little further to get a nice broadside shot and then I would lay the lumber with my Muzzy 4 Blade! :darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
For a buck that unique, unless you have a strong feeling that you will shoot a better deer this year, I say take him. He is not only a good sized deer, but one that is completely different from any other deer I have ever seen. In my book, that is worth a lot. There's a lot that can happen in the next year, and there's no time like the present.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Are you hunting private or public land. Private and you have sole access I would pass, public land I would take it.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
hoggin03 said:
For a buck that unique, unless you have a strong feeling that you will shoot a better deer this year, I say take him. He is not only a good sized deer, but one that is completely different from any other deer I have ever seen. In my book, that is worth a lot. There's a lot that can happen in the next year, and there's no time like the present.
to me it's not about shooting a "better" deer that year....it's

1. allowing that deer to reach his full potential and pass on his genetics
2. i will shoot a smaller buck if he is older and genetically inferior to this one
3. i have passed on larger antlered bucks that were youngerand shot smaller antlered bucks that were older

·
Registered
514 Posts
heavyarrow said:
Must be nice to have the luxury to pass on a buck like that. I'm all for passing on young deer and I do my best, but around here that's a HAWG.
That's what i'm saying!

·
Registered
663 Posts
I wouldnt' shoot without having a good idea of his age.

assume he's 4.5 and i can expect to see him next year i'd pass
assume he's 4.5 and i have bad odds on seeing him i'd kill him

assume he's 5.5 and i'd let the air out of him

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
pretty good theory....kind of my idea:darkbeer:

·
Registered
1,815 Posts
Around here he'd be a great buck....dunno about your area.

Put is this way....I'm heading out in a couple of hours to hunt this afternoon. I'll be tickled pink to take one like that!!!!

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
He would be a trophy to me. I have taken mulies but he would look good on my wall.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts