Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to boredom, I bought a bunch of deer hunting DVDs last season.
Monster Bucks, Dream Season, Primos, Knight & Hale, among others.
I noticed, a lot of the shots taken resulted in arrows not passing through the deer.
Especially when the distance was 25 yards or over.
Sure, there are a lot that did but I saw many that didn't.
Some of the arrows penetrated very poorly and barely stuck in the deer. :eek:
Has anyone else noticed this watching some of the videos ?
Do you guys have problems getting pass throughs on your deer with shots from 25, 30, or more yards ?
What type broadheads do you use to get pass throughs at longer distances ?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Had to be a rage:icon_1_lol::jksign:

I have gotten pass thrus at all distances with rocket steelheads

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Due to boredom, I bought a bunch of deer hunting DVDs last season.
Monster Bucks, Dream Season, Primos, Knight & Hale, among others.
I noticed, a lot of the shots taken resulted in arrows not passing through the deer.
Especially when the distance was 25 yards or over.
Sure, there are a lot that did but I saw many that didn't.
Some of the arrows penetrated very poorly and barely stuck in the deer. :eek:
Has anyone else noticed this watching some of the videos ?
Do you guys have problems getting pass throughs on your deer with shots from 25, 30, or more yards ?
What type broadheads do you use to get pass throughs at longer distances ?
I can sum that up in 3 words: "LIGHT ARROWS" and "RAGE"

·
Registered
801 Posts
Poundage

A lot of them have the bows cranked right down so they can hold the bow at full draw while they wwait for the camera man and so there is a nice long time for them to play music and build the suspense for us.:set1_STOOGE2:

·
Registered
11,287 Posts
A lot of them have the bows cranked right down so they can hold the bow at full draw while they wwait for the camera man and so there is a nice long time for them to play music and build the suspense for us.:set1_STOOGE2:
HAHAHA, thats funny! I think its because most of them are using big mechanicals with lighter poundage. I shoot 65lbs with SlickTricks and it is VERY rare to not get a pass through, even on the few deer I have shot at 40+ yards.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Light arrows low poundage will do this when i was a kid i hunted with a 40lb bow got very few pass through s. Now allot older shooting 63lbs and the only way i don't get a pass through s is if i hit the spin. I shoot Montec and the Tekan Clean through they go.

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
I've shot rocket steelheads, sidewinders, NAP shockwaves, Wasp SST, Slick tricks, Montecs, and pretty much the last 3 years I've shot grim reapers exclusively.

I can't remember one single instance where I didn't got get a pass through on several dozens of deer I have shot.

This year I'm shooting Magnus Snuffers...the old school carbon steel versions. I have a hard time imagining that they won't pass through with ease.

·
Banned
18,640 Posts
Yep, low poundage, light arrows. Now they may be getting both lungs, some may poke thru the other side or stop when hitting the offside leg. I want COMPLETE exit's .... I shoot either Slick Trick Standard's or Rocket Steelheads and the XLs and have NEVER had any problems getting full penetration.....but then Ive always had plenty of KE and speed.... I'm at 305 fps/395 gr arrow(fully set up)/and 81lbs of KE....I expect a exit wound on every animal and those two BH's give it to me ....:darkbeer:

·
Registered
8,360 Posts
The funny thing is, everytime I see a hunt with a hunter using a recurve or long bow....a pass through is almost always seen. I remember seeing one of Byron Fergusons hunts on Realtree where he hit the shoulder...but the ones on Primos and such are full on pass throughs. As are all the ones on youtube.

·
On a backstrap mission!
2,040 Posts
I agree with most.
Light arrows, poundage and expandables.

·
Corripe Cervisiam
20,613 Posts
I would agree with the majority here- light arrows and either low # or mech heads. But then why are so many guys on this site shooting that same setup?????

I think its different with non pros- the #1 reason there I think is tune

·
Registered
10,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I remember waiting on the music quite a few times. :)
Thanks for the replies, guys.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts