Archery Talk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I passed my proficiency test last night!! Woo hoo!!!!! Being new to archery and bowhunting (only started shooting this past spring), this is a big thing for me! So I figured I'd share w/ everyone on AT. In AK, you have to pass the proficiency test (classroom time, written test and 3-D shooting test) to hunt legally in some areas, and to draw permits for other areas. Well, I drew an archery-only moose permit a couple months ago so have been practicing like CRAZY to get ready for the test to be able to actually use my permit next month.

Not to toot my own horn or anything, (well, OK, I'm tootin') passed the written test w/ 100%, and made 8 out of 8 kill shots on the course last night!

I've learned so much on this website since I started shooting - so thanks everyone here, and even more thanks to my hubby for teaching me everything I know about archery, and for really making me practice and do my best!!

I was so proud to get my certification last night - had to take a pic when I got home to memorialize the evening!!!!

Attachments

·
Banned
10,353 Posts
CONGRATS!!!!! Now post some success photos this fall :thumbs_up

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Great job, 8 of 8 with the pressure of an instructor watching, now that's impressive. It's good to see another woman bowhunting, my wife says there is not enough to relate with. Good luck on the moose hunt. Make sure you post some success pics.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Congratulations! Good luck this fall!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys! Keeping my fingers crossed that things will work out well and I'll have some pictures of a dead moose to share with everyone!

I agree, JF - not nearly enough female bowhunters out there!! I was the only woman in the class this week - along w/ 35 guys! It's disappointing to go to 3-D shoots and have only one other woman to compete against in my class... I do what I can to spread the word of how great this sport is - but I also get a lot of strange looks..

Oh well - I enjoy it, so I guess that's what matters for now!!

·
NAASP
15,221 Posts
Congratulations!

Why did you wait so long! :p JK

Sounds like your practice has payed off.

Wow, AK moose. Is that going to be your first big game hunt? If so, that memory will be with you forever, for sure.

Best-o-luck on the hunt!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah - this will be my first big game hunt!! I've been out hunting for bear w/ a rifle, but this will be my first moose hunt, and my first archery hunt! Can't wait!!

Thanks for the luck! Taking the test in front of strangers and shooting in front of an instructor was one thing - now comes real life!! I have a feeling I'll be a little more shaky standing 20 yards from a moose! :mg: Yikes!!!

Mike Ryan said:
Why did you wait so long! :p JK

Sounds like your practice has payed off.

Wow, AK moose. Is that going to be your first big game hunt? If so, that memory will be with you forever, for sure.

Best-o-luck on the hunt!

·
NAASP
15,221 Posts
moose

Oh yah! It will look HUGE, because up there, they just are HUGE!

I'm glad to see that AK has a hunting education and proficiency requirement. IMO more States, if not all, should. I believe it shouldn't just be age requirement. Infact age in un-important IMO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I agree - I don't see why all states don't require hunter's ed. The class was run completely by volunteers - so very little to no cost to the state to run them (there was a $10 fee to cover supplies). I thought I'd learned a lot just by reading regs, and learning from my dad and husband and other hunters that I've been around, but found the class to be soooooo informative! Just little things that I hadn't thought about before. And being under the pressure of shooting in front of strangers and instructors - that was just a taste of the pressure that you're under in real hunting situations!!

....There was a sizable group of people in my class who didn't pass (IMO, most were the cocky guys who looked at me and laughed the first night of class... they probably just bought their bow, didn't even think about practicing and sighting in their bow... just went and started flinging arrows) - and thank God they had to come take the class!!! Guys were losing arrows shooting at targets 10-20 yards, hitting the spine, the HEAD, etc...! To think that they could go to a state that doesn't require hunters ed and just start shooting... Scary to say the least!

Dont' want to sound like I'm putting these guys down - I'm just glad that there are laws here that require archery hunters to prove their skills before they go flinging arrows into these beautiful animals up here...

Mike Ryan said:
Oh yah! It will look HUGE, because up there, they just are HUGE!

I'm glad to see that AK has a hunting education and proficiency requirement. IMO more States, if not all, should. I believe it shouldn't just be age requirement. Infact age in un-important IMO.

·
NAASP
15,221 Posts
I believe it

I think there are many "under age" kids out there that could pass both the tests were some "adults" would fail. That is my biggest B!tch about age requirement rather than testing. Here in MN they let anyone hunt that meets the are requirements young or old. To me that is wrong. They don't let you just purchase a drivers licence anymore.

·
Registered
19,453 Posts
Congrats Suzie !!! Now have fun and put your tag on that moose! That wrist strap is in the mail and on the way.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Nice!! Congrats and good luck on the hunt!!! :thumbs_up

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.