Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of a "portable" press like this for past parallel limbs. I've bent it in a way you can work on all your cables and string, take your cams off if you needed to, you can completely relax the bow. Not completely portable, in the sense you can fold it up and put in your pocket or anything, but it works in a pinch.

Attachments

·
Team #12 - 2009 Winners!!
10,149 Posts
Looks like an awesome idea in a pinch like you mentioned. I doubt it would happen but I would want some sort of collar with a lock nut on the shaft just in case somehow there was ever any torque and the cable wanted to slide off and unload your pressed bow. Awesome idea though!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's pretty close to the point your limbs flex normally, but yeah ur right there. Now manufacturers don't like any sort of "portable" bow press. However if I had bought this bow brand new, I wouldn't void my warranty using this.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am poor... however, that weird press is oddly complicated and looks like it's gonna put stress on the tips of ur limbs. Mine flexes your limbs pretty much at the rockers.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
How rigid is the rod you used? Any concerns about uneven force applied to the limbs due to the open side flexing and not applying the same force as the side anchored to the turnbuckle?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's solid, no flex at all. I know it's not the prettiest, and I plan on making a nicer one, that was my first go at it. Again, had I bought the bow brand new I wouldn't be using it, but since I got it on ebay for $300, I figured what the hell.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
It's solid, no flex at all. I know it's not the prettiest, and I plan on making a nicer one, that was my first go at it. Again, had I bought the bow brand new I wouldn't be using it, but since I got it on ebay for $300, I figured what the hell.
Very good idea. I was just thinking...as others have mentioned about the stress on the limb....and you mentioned building another...
What if you made it longer and instead of having the bottom rest on the limb it set on the pivot point on the limb pocket. You would have to make a couple more bends so instead of looking like a "U" it would look like a "W" and straddle the riser while contacting the limb pocket. That way the only limb contact would be at the limb tip. I think that would make it 100% safe.

Sent from my SM-S920L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great idea, I'll have to get some more bar stock. This is just what I had laying around the garage. It's not real easy to bend, with the equipment at hand. Basically a hand torch and a bench vise.. Lol.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I am poor... however, that weird press is oddly complicated and looks like it's gonna put stress on the tips of ur limbs. Mine flexes your limbs pretty much at the rockers.
not even close to the limb pocket. that is not the way you want to be pressing these bows. you want the pressure at the tips of the limbs, not any lower.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pressure is at the tips, and I know it's not close to the pocket. The lower part of the press is about at the rockers and the upper part is right on the tips.

·
Registered
20,672 Posts
The press looks like a poor imitation of the Nite Hawk press.
A poor imitation of a poor design. Is that like a double negative so this one is actually better than the Nite Hawk? :set1_thinking:

OP, I wouldn't bother with putting much more effort into your design. The leverage you're creating is putting pressure on the wrong part of the limb. It's limb tips or nothing, which is why the nite hawk press isn't approved by any company. It'll bend the limbs and your bow may survive.......or it may not. I've seen bows survive dry fires but they still void your warranty, just like your press does.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
True to the voiding of the warranty, hence why I said if I bought the bow new I wouldn't be using it, but since it was a $300 ebay buy, what the hell.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts