Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are looking at getting a bow for our soon-to-be 8-year-old son for his birthday. I'm looking at the Pearson Pathfinder and the Parker Buckshot. I know nothing about these 2 companies. I've looked at the Buckshot, but have not had a chance to see any of the Pearson line. Both of these bows have programs where the limbs can be upgraded for $50. The Pearson line has Vapor Trail strings, I'm not sure about Parker's strings.

I can get the Parker through my local Gander Mountain. The Pearson, I would need to travel to get, but I'm on the road a lot, so not a big deal.

Please advise me on these 2 companies, I'm just looking for opinions from a lot of you that may have a bow from one of their lines. Thanks.

·
Registered
2007 Bowtech Equalizer, 2009 Hoyt Alphamax 32
974 Posts
I own a Pearson McPherson Diesel. It is a great mid-priced hunting bow. Not familiar with the youth bows. Can't go wrong with a Pearson, if it fits your kid.

Scott

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
Of the two I'd opt for the Pearson, strings being one deciding factor. I'm not up on the youht models for Pearson, but having shot both company's bows I like them better.

Parker isn't a bad bow. Pretty good really, but consider that the strings are just generic and to compare to Vapor Trail you need to add about $80 for an honest comparison.

Another thing to look at is how the draw length is adjusted. The Parker has a rotating module if I remember right---very handy. If the Pearson has one you're good to go---or if you get a whole set of modules. Otherwise as he grows and you have to run to the shop to get mods then it could become an issue.

Both comapnies have excellent customer service from my experience so that should be a non-issue.. Really, I doubt whether you'll need it. Both are good bows and not much goes wrong with them.

Gotta give you credit though. For a youngster you're ready to dish out some serious money. Hope you both have fun.

·
Premium Member
10,922 Posts
I just went and took a look at the Pearson website. If you're serious then my choice would be the Pathfinder.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,327 Posts
Parker is a first rate company! Great Customer Ser. and good equipment. Their string may not be up to specks but that is the same for some other companies as well.
Parker also has a deal which is called "Growing up with Parker" (I think). Anyway it a bow you can get (Challenger maybe) and when you son puts on those extra inches, they will increase the draw length and new lims for a very reasonable price.
The Buckshot I think is their bottom of the line bow, so I think the Challenger would be a better bow for him as well.

As far a as a company though, they are as good as they get. Give them a call and I'm sure they would go over some opitions with you.

Can't comment on the Pearson--no experience.

·
Just beat Terry Club
9,327 Posts
Sorry for some of the spelling mistakes. For some reason it wouldn't let me in to edit it.:confused:

·
Registered
103 Posts
My vote is for the Pathfinder. I have seen these bows and they are very well made. The draw length adjustment is all in one, no modules. The bow will be good for him for a very long time. You are getting one heck of a bow for your little one. Good luck and enjoy your new archery partner.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bfisher said:
Gotta give you credit though. For a youngster you're ready to dish out some serious money. Hope you both have fun.
All signs point to my son being a lifelong archer, which makes me a pretty proud dad. :bounce: We don't take this purchase lightly, because we could certainly use the money elsewhere. But with these step-up programs, I am looking for a bow that he will eventually be able to hunt with, by replacing the limbs. Although he has never complained about his current bow, I don't want to continue to watch him struggle with a piece of junk (no sight, no rest and nowhere to mount either). It was literally a roadside find by my friend a few years ago.

We feel that we are investing in our son's future. He absolutely loves to shoot, and cannot get enough of hunting and fishing... he's hooked.

Thanks for all the kind responses, please keep them coming. I need to make this decision by early next week, his birthday is Sept. 27th.

·
Banned
402 Posts
pearson pathfinder

dairyvet i will be glad to ship you a pathfinder to your door retail is $299 how about $275 tyd and i have to agree with the other guys the pathfinder is the way to go...im a little partial:wink:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bump, please keep the opinions/advice coming, Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts