Archery Talk Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to get other peoples opinion on this one. I was reading Bowhunting magazine and there was an interview with Mike Weaver in there. They were talking about all the people telling us how to hunt trophy deer and any misconseptions he would like to dispel and Mike said the "pee bottle". Mike says that urine is urine and deer are not alarmed by human urine one bit. In fact he urinates in his mock scrapes. He says it seems to incite bucks to investigate and make a deposit of their own.

This goes against everything I have ever heard about relieving yourself when hunting.:D

·
74,535 Posts
In my years

They dont seem alarmed by it. They will stop and realize something has been in area but dont seem alarmed by it. I try not to do it if at all can be avoided. You going to leave some scent usally regardless.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't think I'd worry about leaving human urine around your stand. There is at least one scent manufacturer who is currently selling a system whereby you use your own urine as the base element in their scent. I've read where one well known outdoor writer uses his own urine in scrapes. I've never tried it myself but I will be this year. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
:) I for one hunt areas that many odors have become not so foriegn to the white tails nose. These areas are what I would call patches of woods and one place is a larger tract of land that I while on the stand can catch a whiff of things such as smoke, fumes from tractors and, vehicles and the like. I have never had a problem with urinating in the woods but, while on the stand I keep a medium size gatorade bottle that the top will seal so as not to make a big mess. I just for the heck of it one time let it rip out of the stand onto the ground. The leaves were dry and, it was a calm morning. The noise that this made was like a frieght train as from 18' down to the ground. I t isn't the foriegn odor or, smell I am concerned about. It is the loud noise it makes. I however would not urinate from a stand or just anywhere in an area that human scent or, people do not frequent such as large tracts of land where humans are not usually present. In general I think animals can or will get used to scents in certain areas but, when there is somthing new in the air that wasn't there before I would think it will tend to alarm an animal that there is somthing around that just doesn't belong there. I tend to think of it this way. If you come home and, walk into the house and smell somthing that you know isn't or, wasn't there before it tends to get your attention pretty fast. The same being said that if you see a person walking down the road or street and they keep right on going thats o.k. but, when you walk in the house and a stranger is sitting in your easy chair it would get you attention right now. I think with critters they know their surroundings pretty well as they live there and thats their home. Anything such as smells, objects and major changes tend to get their attention pretty fast. Maybe some animals tend to take changes well some may not

·
Registered
817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your opinions gents I have to admit I let it fly a few times from my stand and have seen deer after. It just seems that no matter what the conversation about hunting is there is always the need to be totally scent free. Maybe not. Thanks

·
Registered
156 Posts
I agree with curverbowruss.A mature buk knows his home any forien orders will alam him. one other thing I have to use a bigger bottle with a bigger opening.:D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts